aquariums

adventure_angler

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i just had a look around on ebay. it seems i can get an ok one for less than 150 bucks in auctions. but i donno how much it costs to keep it running. i had one in china and it's not costing much at all but donno about here. can anyone get a list of things i'll need to do on a weekly basis, especially for a SW one. how do i get SW?

i'd love to have some fish that i usually fish for in the tank. ha ha

For those thinking of setting up a marine aquarium my advice would be to use ocean water for the bulk of the fill and to use the salt mix to make up the rest or for top ups.

Reason being is the ocean water helps to kick start the cycle and once the tank water becomes stable U will be surprise at all the free goodies that will start to grow that otherwise would have cost u hundreds of dollars from the store..ie: soft/hard corals.

Best part is that it is FREE only cost is the fuel to transport it but hey most of us head to the water for a fish at some stage so its quiet ezy to grab a few drums of saltwater.

Also U will find most marine aquarium shops do the same thing as to use the mix up stuff would cost them hundreds of dollars to fill there tanks.:)

fishyman wrote:

how so kriso?

we have a freshwater tank atm, which we are in the middle of buying a few bass for and possibly a toga.

but we are looking into a second tank and i wouldnt mind makign it SW and have some bream and maybe s tiny estuary cod or something

you buy salt from the marine aquarium joints.

Dazzamcgee wrote:

For those thinking of setting up a marine aquarium my advice would be to use ocean water for the bulk of the fill and to use the salt mix to make up the rest or for top ups.

Reason being is the ocean water helps to kick start the cycle and once the tank water becomes stable U will be surprise at all the free goodies that will start to grow that otherwise would have cost u hundreds of dollars from the store..ie: soft/hard corals.

Best part is that it is FREE only cost is the fuel to transport it but hey most of us head to the water for a fish at some stage so its quiet ezy to grab a few drums of saltwater.

Also U will find most marine aquarium shops do the same thing as to use the mix up stuff would cost them hundreds of dollars to fill there tanks.:)

you can buy 20ltr drums from Big W i think which are cheap as

Archived