aquariums

adventure_angler

Hey guys,

thought it would be good to find out who else on the forum keeps fish? I have been keeping and breeding African Cichlids for the last 3-4 years. I am in the process of selling off my Africans to make way for some real fish.... NATIVES!!!

If anyone on here has a fish tank at home, post up some details and maybe even some pics. Would be interesting to see what everyone else is into. I will get some pics up in the near future, especially once I get my native display tank running how I want it.

-nelson-

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Nelson, i have a 4 foot native tank at my place.

The feature of the tank is my Saratoga.

I also have a fire tail gudgeon and some silver perch.

Funnily enough the silver perch (of which there are three) started off as 20 \"feeder perch\" from the pet store.

The three left remain through the glories of darwinism. They were smart enough to avoid being eaten and are now to big to be. Well until the Toga grows some more anyway!

Angus

P.S. Ill try and get some decent pics.

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/04/02 10:47

Hey Guys,

I have a 5 foot mini reef with a few tangs (surgeon fish) and a pair of gold striped maroon clowns. I have a vaiety of corals and a giant clam. It also supports a very healthy population of bristle worms and limpets.

I thought about using the bristle worms for bait because I literally have thousands of them and they look exactly like beach worms. Only problem is they are covered in tiny, razor sharp, fiber glass like spines which break off in your skin and irritate you for days.

Dom

Hey guys, they sound like some nice tanks!

Angus, i have had simialr things happen in my tanks, I had a female mouthbrooder release the fry in the tank before I had tme to strip her and of the 70 that were released 1 grew up. It was so good at hiding I didnt even know it was in there until one day when I saw it darting out to grab food. It is now in another tank and almost at breeding size itself.

My largest tank is a 6x2x2 which I will be turning into the native displauy tank. I really want a toga to go in it, but dunno what else would suit as tank mates?

A mangrove jack would make a sweet aquarium fish, they look amazing, but they are too agressive to go with most other fish.

Any suggestions for possible toga tank mates?

-nelson-

Jack and a Toga i dont think would work.

Well the toga would have to be significantly bigger than the toga anyway.

I was planning on getting a sleepy cod they look cool.

Also in the Earth and Sea Pizza shop down the road from me they have a huuuge toga and Murry River cod. However once again these only work becuase the Toga is bigger.

I dont mean to sound overly paranoid, but at over 160 bucks for a toga, im not putting anything in that might eat her!

Angus

Great to hear there are a few fish keepers on the site..

I currently have two 4ft tanks on double stand and two 2ft tanks on double stand and have been in the hobbie for about 10+years.I have down graded over the last 2years when moving to Queensland from NSW I just couldnt bring all that glass with me....

I have kept South American fish(oscars,knife fish,etc) then moved over to south african Cichlids(hongis,liverstoney,electrics,johanni's just to name a few).Over the years I have bred most of the fish I have kept except for some of the south american fish(they need very large tanks to breed!!!)and have stocked local aquarium shops and dealers with my fry....

This point in time tho im keeping about 80+ gourami's and just started supplying a local store...

Also if anyone needs sum advice on keeping exotic fish drop me a line as I have plenty of experiance and am all to happy to pass it on...

Jimmybob at the moment I'm only keeping gourami's and dont have any cichlids at this time so sorry dude...

Nice to hear about the convicts... but dont they become bullies when in season.:) Hope your not keeping other fish with them????as they are small fish but can pack a punch....

I have a four foot tank with a 50cm Barra in it. He loves people and eating :P . I've had him for well over a year now and hes out growing the tank quickly. Luckily he's stopped growning in length and is starting to get taller and wider. If I had a digital camera I'd post a few pictures.

Troy

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys, well as you may know I am moving house this week. I have recently been selling many tanks and fish to help with the move, but I have 1 last tank left. I have it posted on a few aquarium forums but thought it might be worth posting it here...

4x15x18 tank with pine stand and hood, 4 foot light, filter, heater, gravel, rocks, and fish!!!

1 maleri (8cm)

3 clown loaches (10-12cm)

1 bristlenose (12cm)

1 hongi (10cm)

2 silver sharks (12cm)

$200

thanks guys.

I am officialy an aquarium owner. I pick it up tomorrow. It is about 5 foot by 3 foot by three foot. Thinking about putting barra or bass in it, not to sure yet, although maybe a toga.....any ideas from you experienced aquarium owners...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived