Trolling Hard bodies

Ash

Trolling is one way of fishing that im really not having any success with. Ive posted this here because mainly use hardbodies. Does anyone have any hints or techniques how to troll succesfully. Vague i know, but im looking for all trolling methods, so for bass to jacks. Also any lures you guys have found work well trolling.

Cheers

For me a dead slow troll seems to bring the goods, especially with the SX40's. A couple of paddles in the yak and then a pause. Has worked well in Hinze also with G Vibes for bass. My hard body success is limited though so I'm sure others will have some more input for you.

Not to sure about trolling for bass but the rebel crawdad lures(the ones that look like yabbies) are a great lure to troll with in the estuary's...Flathead and bream cant keep away from them especially in the red/black and the orange/brown...

Oztrav as for expensive its not to bad if you buy yourself a tool for freeing up snagged lures costs about $10... just keep ya drag a tad loose so when ya snag up it lets sum line out then you can back down to where your lure is snagged and use a tackle back to retrieve the stuck lure... [img size=175]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/deep_teeny_wee_craw_D77.jpg

post-633-144598411267_thumb.jpg

Never really got into trolling, after about 15 minutes, it bores the tom tits outta me, and I am off to find something to cast at.

But having watched Ray troll endlessly for days and sometimes weeks, the secret seems to be to make sure your lure is at the right depth, which may mean using a downrigger, or one of those planning thingymajigs. Which makes a sounder particularly useful (especially if you can set a depth warning alarm) if you dont want to loose to many lures.

Then the next thing you need is the patience of Solomon. I once saw Ray troll the same stretch of water for 5 days without a bite before he got a 1.3m barra to take the lure.

if you are trolling a big sand bank for flatties and your lure keeps hitting the bottom, what ever you do don't change a thing, (thats if it is only sand), and different lures react at different speeds, what you want to see is the tip of the rod shaking while trolling, if it isnt , try going faster or slower until it does, other than that buddy try the soft plastics, those mother fcukers land some good fish

Ash - where to start. Are you fishing from a yak or your tinny?

I like trolling when I have somewhere to go or I don't know where to go. Sounds silly but think about it. I troll to a spot or I troll around while I working out what to do.

Chippie is spot on for sand bar flatties - that's your best bet but also try a spinner bait accross the sand bar, you might just get supprised.

If you're using your tinny keep the lure at least 45 mtres from the back of your boat and try not to dig the prop into the sand. Start your run well before the spot you want to troll over - lures only swim straight so you gotta line it up right before you start your pass. Go same direction as tide.

At night I like Black / Purple / Dark Red / Silver colours. Not as deep as you may think 1-3 mtres. Barra shape with good action.

Day (dawn and dust) I like light blue / silver / white / green and get them close to the snag or hiddie hole as possiable and deeper in open spaces. In the bay for mack's keep your lure about 1-1.5 metre down.

Last year I picked up 2 sharks trolling - 1 in the albert trolling a 10\" live mullet and the other a baby bull trolling a minow between Cochie and Redland bay.

In the fresh I've had luck with spinner baits, Gvibes, Barra lures, minnows (remember the one stuck on my pool shade), plastics and others. I've even caught a cattie about the same size as the lure (see pick)

Best advise is stay calm and keep going till you break the draught. There are sooooo many variables I could dribble on for hours. Hope it helps a bit. [img size=364]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Picture_093-e260cc9f7c2e14f56dda5f52eb436770.jpg

post-118-144598411566_thumb.jpg

Thanks for response guys.

Dazza, i have eyed off those yabby looking things before but wasnt too sure how well they'd go, but i may givem a go now thanks.

Brian, im mainly talking yaks, but, like you, i like to troll when moving to new spot. Thanks for all the info.

Will try it all out and let know how it goes!

cheers

Archived