Huybers Beacon Wednesday

tomca

Decided to do a sneaky after work fish yesterday and kreel expressed interest in attending. We met at the ramp around 1630 and after rigging up headed out through the markers and turned left. Kreel was on and ended up with a squid which latched onto his hand and had all manner of strife removing it.

IMGP0697-20100506.jpg

On the troll to the spot I caught several ambitious squire and quite a few pike.

Upon arrival at the beacon, I cast a plastic out and towards it and it was nailed on the drop by a 20something squire. About 20 undersize fish later I caught a diamond trevally, a first for me, and was quite impressed with the fighting quality for its size.

As the sun sank lower the squire got bigger, but sadly the biggest was 32cm, and caught a few at that size.

As the darkness rolled in, I noticed kreel sucking his thumb and rocking back and forth, so suggested we troll back in slowly to the ramp. Not a single fish landed on the return trip, which was unusual.

unfortunately he survived unscathed. Grabbed it by the tail and it swung its head around and sucked onto his hand with all its tentacles. There was a panicked look on his face when it dawned on him that his support crew (Tacklebox) wasn't there to fix everything :laugh:

Do$tylz wrote:

Did the squid actually bite Kreel??

Too bad the fishing didn't fire with the big ones, but much better than a donut.

We'll only know for sure on a full moon - If I grow extra testic tentacles and my skin gets all irridenscent then it will be confirmed the squid HAS bitten me and I will become the WereSquid!

No it didn't bite me, it was pretty interesting having never caught one before and not having tBox there to assist - obviously Pussca was no help floating around going all girly on me - grow a pair lad!

It was by-catch, I had a shallow diving Rapala lure on and it jagged a tentacle - in fact it caught all my fish (small cod, small squire and 2 pike) with the exception of one pike.

Archived