Legal Red in Close Mooloolaba

Smithy

You can still get good reds on the Barwons/Hards so I wouldn't be surprised if there were big ones at Wide Caloundra or the Cape Moreton area.

Water temps are still up. Plenty of spotty and spanish mackerel for those in the know too. The day I got the yellowfin the water temp was 23deg. It has now tumblded to 22deg but there were still mahi mahi in it Friday.

Brad,

you are kidding aren't you? A 45cm red emperor which was the old limit is an impressive catch let alone a 56cm one. No way in the world am I telling a new customer to throw a legal fish back if we are within bag limits and the fish is over DPI legal size, especially a fish of a few kilograms and they are wanting to put a few fillets in the esky. The only people I have ever known to throw legal size red emperor back are people who are allready bagged out on them. I'd be suggesting people throw back snapper first as they are more endangered and highly overated in the catching and eating stakes. Red emperor is the best eating fish bar none.

The cod was kept as they are near on impossible to release and believe me I have tried with everything from shot releases and syringes etc. It was 1.1m long and under the 1.2m maximum size.

Yes I run charters and yes all the good fish do go hard.

www.sqcs.com.au

• 3 weeks later...

The first two my customers have caught have been just over at 56cm each. I would never take a 55cm as they do shrink in the esky I reckon. Same for all the fish I keep. They were usually at least 1cm over minimum.

The snapper are hopeless so far. Got those couple of 2.5-3.0kg ones the other morning in pretty close but other than one other good one at 61cm, mid 40cm is the best of any inshore plastics fish I have been getting and they are very scarce. Certainly no trophy fish in close. I think the main body of fish are still out wide and they are running super late.

• 3 weeks later...

daveylad wrote:

yoyo wrote:
Bring on the Cobes !! See you monday Smithy! :-)
didnt know they could catch them on a Yac Yo, where are you leaving from? and where are you heading out too?

All though fish that were caught can be caught on a kayak.

Looks like I might have to take the new Hobie AI for a sail out wide come end of august.

Archived