Lenthalls 20-22 April

WayneD

Well what a trip. Three days at Lenthalls. How’s the serenity. This really is a beautiful looking lake and the fishing is just a bonus!

Day One

We got on the road earlier than expected, everyone was keen. On the road by 5 am. We took our time getting there and then whilst we were setting up camp Big Unit came and saw us, reminding us of the restrictions on the lake. We headed for the gate and were on the water by 12:40, armed with slick rigs and ready for the barra. Not much action on the day though. I managed to get the first fish of the trip a couple of hours later in a shallow structure filled bay. A nice 40cm bass, equalling my PB, but it was my first fish on a spinner bait, so I was stoked. About half an hour later my mate Kristian managed to get his first ever freshwater fish, also on a spinner bait. It measured 36cm. Had to be off the water by 4PM so the session was only short. Good way to start the trip though and all were happy. Whilst packing up the yaks Big Unit came and saw us again, so we picked his brains for tips on how to catch the barra. We then headed back to camp and the drinking started.

Day Two

Woke up feeling very ordinary. From all reports the night before I had made a fool of myself, after being handed Heinekins, XXXX gold, Carlton Mids, Red wine, White wine, Bourbon and Rum I am not surprised. We didn’t get on the water until about 8 am. We headed in the direction the ranger told us the barra were. I tried poppers but getting the action happening this morning was hard work because of my hangover. So I changed between a teeny torpedo and a spinnerbait, both are just cast and retrieve. With no surface action happening I got out the slick rig in neon colours and made an effort on the barra.

As we came to an arm in the dam Richard (first time yak fisho) was busted off on a snag by a barra. He was using the slick rigs in Black and gold. He retied and cast to the same snag, busted off again. So while he was retying I plonked a cast in and I was on. The fish jumped and then ran for the timber, I could feel the rubbing and before long it was all over. Bummer!

With lunch time approaching and no food in my churning belly we called it a day and headed back to camp for lunch.

Day Three

Alarm woke me at 5:30 and we headed off to our launch spot for a 6am start. I was first to boat a fish, a nice 38cm bass taken on a R2S bubble pop 65 in jungle perch colour. Richard got one soon after on a jitterbug it was about 30cm. About 8 am I stopped trying for surface action and tied on a spinner bait and started working the snags. Kristian was next to boat a fish, a 38cm bass taken on a jackal ripoff that he bought in the 4for $10 bin. I took note of this and tied on a G Vibe and started working the snags with it. Whilst drifting with the wind and in between snags I was throwing the slick rig with my other rod working the edges of the weed. I cast into the opening of a little bay and was medium winding the slick rig back when it exploded off into the middle of the dam. “I’m onâ€Â, I yelled out. “On a slick rig, should be a barraâ€Â. The fish jumped proving me right. It then headed deep and was pulling my yak around a fair bit. As I was fighting it I was thinking please hold on don’t get off. My head was racing, have my knots been OK, I hadn’t checked them this morning, I should get a photo of the bend in this rod! Have a look at that, so I fumbled for my camera, then I thought don’t be stupid Wayne just get the fish in first!!! After probably almost 10 mins I had the fish in the net and there were high fives all around. A lovely golden Lake Lenthalls Barra 68cm in length was a nice PB to have. We had achieved what we had come here to do. Everyone was stoked, and everyone pulled out there slick rigs of course.

Richie hooked up not long after on a black gold slick rig and after a tough fight (they are all tough fights with these barra) a nice 65 cm specimen was boated, photographed and released.

About a half hour later I was on again. This time the fish headed for the weeds. He had me bricked in and then the line felt jolted and was loose, my head dipped and I was disappointed. Then it came taught again. I think the braid cut through a reed that it was wrapped around. I was fighting the fish with one hand and trying to paddle out of the weeds with the other hand. I managed to land another nice barra. These fish are so golden up at Lenthalls. This barra went the same size as the last, 68cms.

That was all the action we saw and we were off the water by lunch and then the unenviable task of packing up and driving home. All in all it was a great weekend had by all and for me well I achieved my two goals for the weekend, a bass on spinner bait and a barra in a yak. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P4200011__Custom_.JPG

Post edited by: WayneD, at: 2007/04/23 15:02

post-1190-144598412286_thumb.jpg

Congratulations great effort and well written story.

Now a couple of questions.

Did you camp at Wongi Waterholes?

If so were there any sandflies?

I have been tempted to stay there but I would worry about the security of the site and it is a pain having to pack the engell and generator in the back every time we go fishing and then unpack when we return.

I was hoping to sneak up there on friday for the Fishntales comp but have been instructed we have to visit daughter in Esk this weekend.

Ray

Ray

Yes we camped at Wongi

Yes there were sandflies but rid kept them at bay

We left our stuff unguarded all day whilst fishing and nothing was stolen. We asked Big Unit when we saw him about leaving everything and he said during the day should be fine but would not do it at night. The dearest thing we had though was the alcohol.

Twas not me Feral. The guy driving can reverse a trailer, he has done so with mine several times, but this trailer has a short draw bar which makes it hard to reverse so he drove down the side of the ramp and did a 3 point turn. Unconventional but it worked. He wouldn't have to reverse so far if you got more water in your dam Big Unit ;)

Thanks for all the tips and tricks, might not have caught any barra otherwise.

Archived