Using Vibes

JamesMac

Hey everybody,

just recently bought somew new vibes and they are so confusing..

there are three holes to tie it onto and one has a clip

i tied it to the clip with a rapala knot and just found in spinning in circles.

i have been told they work a treat on bream but from what i have tried they seem quite rubbish any tips? what technique? what about the clip? what about the three holes there are?

Thank You :side:

JamesMac wrote:

so vibes are pretty good then?

I was using vibes in Noosa recently and I caught trevs, flathead, bream and tailor on them. I LOVE using them and use them as often as I can!

Take your time, work on your technique and timing and you will love them!

Cheers,

Shorty :)

ellicat wrote:

No need for a loop knot when using a clip. Just tie your usual tight knot.

The holes are for varying the depth on retrieve. Front = shallower; Back = deeper.

as Ellicat says, with the clip you tie your leader to it then quickly adjust the hole.

but i believe the front hole is for more vertical jigging of the blade whereas the furthest back one is for casting distance. several brands have the guidelines on the package

from the TT Lures site "The adjustable tow point gives the Switchblade even more versatility allowing the angler to adjust the lure from a tight shimmy to a strong darting action."

and

"this pocket rocket features 3 different tow points, giving the angler the ability to adjust the lure's action to suit the water depth and current.

This lure can be hopped or slow-rolled across shallow flats, vertically jigged against steep structure, or burned mid-water through schooled fish."

on the box of a Berkley lure they explain..3 tow points-front hole=for tight vibration at high speed, 2nd hole= great vibration at medium speed, 3rd hole= max vibration at low speed,which basicly equals what ellicat and Hooked on Tackle have replied.

batman wrote:

When I use blades mine seem to get tangled up in the trebbles quite a bit...any advice? is my retrieve wrong?

i've found occasionally if you close the bail arm or thumb the spool too early, mid flight or before it hits the water this will happen. try to allow the lure to hit the water without interference - this will of course vary from brand to brand.

Eug wrote:

batman wrote:
When I use blades mine seem to get tangled up in the trebbles quite a bit...any advice? is my retrieve wrong?

i've found occasionally if you close the bail arm or thumb the spool too early, mid flight or before it hits the water this will happen. try to allow the lure to hit the water without interference - this will of course vary from brand to brand.

As above, or use a slightly heavier leader, sometimes the stiffer trace can alleviate the problem. Helped me

• 2 weeks later...

also, when using blades, the first tow point has a tight action, which creates a higher subsonic frequency, and travels a shorter distance in water. which is good for fishing tight structure where fish are likely to be holding.

the rear tow point has a wider action and a lower frequency, which travels a longer distance in water. this may be a better option in open water, or where fish are roaming, looking for food. the middle is just the middle.

they are good for snapper to bread & butter in the surf. & everything in between. from all reports, they tick all the right boxes.

Blades are the only lure I have been using lately been cleaning up on flatties on sand banks around jacobs well

as said above dont touch the line till the lure is in the water when casting that should stop 90% of the fouling up.

Good luck - persist!

every type of lure has its ideal use, i use my vibes pretty exclusively at the mouth unless i'm working the shallow, anything over 3 or 4m deep chasing fish holding on the bottom i'll crack out the vibes

landbased adds a set of challenges but theres also plenty of landbased situations where vibes will give you a great result, just try not to go throwing a heavy vibe or blade tight against a rockwall.

blades and vibes are a good searching lure, if you don't know exactly where the fish are you can cover ground faster by getting them out further and down faster, fish on a tight line and you can control the sink rate a bit once you're in the strike zone and bobs yer uncle. or you can just sound out a school of fish drop a vibe on their heads and watch them chase it on your sounder for giggles

cheers

Dan

whoever says blades dont work either dosn't use them correctly or there fishing in the wrong spot. most of the fish we have caught in shultz canal including a couple of 70cm+ flattys 4 jewies between 50cm and 66cm and all the smaller 60-70cm flattys. they have worked on tailor in the canal also and bream and small golden trevally love them aswell.

pat

Archived