Too good to be true?

bootyinblue

Eug wrote:

i've seen their spots, they fish gravel patches just out of the seaway. that particular charter was quite rude anchoring in our drift line just a few weeks back.

Surely a boat that size isn't going to hover so close in ? :unsure:

Maybe they were getting bait ?

It does sound too good to be true though, Greg.

I just went on one of these charters last monday - similar website (spreets.com) was offering the same thing with a different company which operates out of the seaway (5 hour offshore for about $50). Thought it sounded awesome but was pretty disappointed - only keeper fish were tailor and a few teraglin. everything else was undersize and thrown back (most of which did not survive). Also, spent half the time untangling knots as they had way too many people crammed in on the boat. and the 5 hours includes travel time so you dont get the whole time fishing.

they also did not check the fish length properly and realised they had kept a few undersize tailor which then had to be thrown back dead. Expected to get better fish heading off shore. One guy hooked something big and the skipper immediately grabbed the rod off him and proceeded to loose it after much yelling and screaming at the deckie and customers to get all the other lines in. so if you actually hook something worthwhile you dont even get the fun of trying to get it in.

In the end, less than half the people on the boat caught about 1 fish each to take home - had a better and more productive day of fishing in the brisbane river in the tinny the day before.

This company may be better?? have not heard of them - i reckon it depends on how many people they have on board as to how good a day out you'll have

All up - was ok for $50 (probably only cause we actually caught some legal fish unlike most of the others on the boat) but i'm certainly glad i didnt pay any more than that. Definately would not pay again to go out with that company.

• 3 months later...

Yes, too good to be true. A mate had 3 of these discounted trip tickets ($50 for a half day) so out we went today. Leaves from Labrador at 6am with 12 people on a smallish cat. Headed to the bait grounds just outside the seaway and anchored up for about an hour and a half. A few just legal trag jew come on board. I was jigging for yakkas and we ended up with a few livies. Promising start, I thought. Then we up anchor and head to a spot of Q1 at Surfers. We were so close in, I thought we might get moved on by the lifesavers (maybe an exaggeration, but it was no more than about 20 metres of water on some "isoated patch of reef" - maybe one of those sand reefs that are so common off the goldie.

Half the boat was seasick, which meant there was at least some room left for those fishing. A couple more legal trag jew, a couple of tailor and a few undersize squire and off we go again - this time home. Back at the ramp at 10:45 and home in Brizzie by midday.

Skipper was a nice bloke who appeared to know his fishing, but would not rate it as one of the all-time great charters. Still you get what you pay for and it was a hell of a lot better than working!

Archived