Kooka pk 29/04/07

Lozzel

Off to a slow start, Alarm didnt go off.

Arrived at kooka at 7.am OZTRAV was there waiting to deckie. Casted for livies ,got a couple of prawn & 1 good boney.

Hit hte usual spot on the corner,got the usual CATTIES, OZ had a good run but was bitten off. :angry:

Had a visit from the WATER POLICE ,checking safety gear Regos, etc,etc.I had no probs, But the other tinny they got was put off the water. :whistle:

Left there went to #2 spot.Usual CATTIES (only bigger)OZ got a new PB of 56cm. Had a good run on Shark Rod with live boney,no hook up, but 1/2 bait still there,kept it out and 10mins later off it goes again,still no hook up. :angry:

Back to CATTIES,CRABS,& eells, which was Shark Bait.This accounted for another run but was bitten off. Pulled out at 1.pm .

All in All a good morning out. And OZZ next time you can clean the BOAT. :ohmy:

i was using a handline with 20lb mono on it no wire wasnt expecting much on it it was baited up with crusty ol mulet filets that were just hooked through in a fairly ordinary fashion unfortunately thats the one that had the bitey go for it:ohmy:

although i enjoy :sick: catching the bigger catfish until you get that heartbroken feeling another catfish then time for the release:evil:

Damn..I am so bummed that I couldn't make it:angry:

Next time hopefully. Glad to hear you had a good day though...although not too productive it was still better than grouting 150 metres of floors and running 75 metres of silicone. Thanks for the offer Lozzel. Karma to you. (Please don't deduct one of mine for being a no show.):blush:

Lozzel. I have found that foot long traces really don't cut the mustard. I had so many \"bite offs\" on the mainline using traces up to 2 feet last season that I started using 3-5 foot traces toward the end. I strongly suspect that a lot of what I though was bite offs was actually from the tail touching the mainline. That said some of the bite offs took about 0.5 seconds! The rod would just rip down and then up again and it would be a clean cut, no abrasions on teh line... I just can't comprehend how a shark would suck down a livie that far so quick!!!

Unless of course, there are a fair few more big girls around then we suspect...

The \"make your own\" trace kits are good value, most places sell those \"force 10\" kits, 10m of nylon coated wire and 10 crimps for under $5. A Pair of crimping pliers (good ones) can be had for under $20 (cheap needle nose pliers with crimp slots from $5).

I have just made up my first sets of these, 25kg rated wire, using 8/0 mustad hoodlums and live bait hooks (About 5 foot long). Simple as. 100lb swivel on other end.

I have also put that 1.5mm stainless wire I got recently to good use, made up a few sets with 11/0 VMC's and 12/0 Gamakatsku's, about 2.5m each ( for 4 from each 10m length of stainless wire). The stainless wire I used vulcanising tape on the crimps as well (just to keep any errant slivers unwinding on the \"tag\") Used 200lb swivels on other end.

Feral I think you will find that the 25 kg wire a bit light they will chew through it.

Pity the water police were not there on the weekend to chase the ski boats and jet skis.

I am tempted to give it a go later in the week. We were planning to go to baroomba with feral but decided its a bit far for a one dayer for the oldies.

Ray

Ware Wolf; I use a 4-5 ft plastic coated wire on the shark rod, But the bite off was on my little 6kg cattie rod.I think next season I will def use long wire on both rods. The bite off was clean no abrasions, cause i thought it may have been hit by its tail.Allthough Glendas 2 bullies last trip were on light gear with 12\" E-bay traces with No probs.

Feral ; sounds like you made the same trace as the one on my shark rod,Its about 5ft long 100lb (force 10) with a circle live bait hook (9/0) and 100lb swivle. I did have a 2nd hook on a 8'' wire going to the tail of the bait but I took it off as I thought it impeeded the natural swim of the bait. The shark rod keeps geting hit but hook up rate is poor.

Ray ; the water police did stop a couple skiers but did not send them home ,More is the pity. I found the spot around the corner to be better when the Ski Lice are arround.

%0 kg would be better as it is still reasonably supple o found that the 25kg was chewed through and efen if it wasnt I had to reterminate the rig as the first foot of so was kinked and twisted.

Ok from the bank at high tide you need to cast out a fair way to get into the channel. Water in front of ramp is fairly deep but you would have to move for boats.

Ray

Feral; I would go to the 50kg ,Its still flexable and a bit more tolerent to sharp teeth. ;)

OZ; If you hooked that skier you would have been spooled , before droping the bail arm. :silly:

REEFIE ; There is good bank access but you will need a long rod(like a surf rod ) to reach the channel on the far side.

maybe they might of fallen off and i actually saved them:P

reef i would say leave it till next season when there is a cluster of those sticky summer nights plenty more sharks in their at those periods

otherwise its just gonna be bloody catfish

50 kg still doesn't stop the few bigger sharks that we get up teh river. The net we had two bite offs through the wire within 2 mintues (different rods) we were using 90 pound on both!!!

I have since purchased some 120 pound as that was the heaviest coated multistrand I could find. That said it took 5-10 seconds to get through the 90 pound so I doubt the 120 would last much longer. I reckon this would have been a seriously big shark for the top end of the river though!

there are some big sharks up that way. I was bitten off while using 200lb wind on mono leaders up near johnos rocks. The bait was a foot long mullet.

In saying that my mate and I have caught a few sharks (<3ft in size) on 12lb line right through, no leader, while goin after threadies and big bream... go figure

Archived