One for helicopter experts or aviation buffs

hooked_on_trout

Well it happened a while ago but it still has me puzzled.

This experience happened about the same time that Barack Obama was in Australia a few months ago.

Anyway if anyone has seen the new section of the Princess Alexandra hospital (Buranda), you would see a large helicopter pad.

So one night about 8:00pm I was at the bus stop in front of the hospital and was amazed to see this huge helicopter, about the size of a bus, hovering overhead and eventually landing on the PA helipad.

But what was most interesting is that this huge thing never made the sound of a moth, it was silent, and it was a stealthy grey color, you could hardly make it out except for the few lights it had.

It did not look like a hospital helicopter or a military one or an industrial one, it looked very impressive indeed.

So was this Barack Obama making a stealth entrance into Brisbane?

Does anyone know what this helicopter was?

Cheers

daveylad wrote:

If it was a helicopter carrying a politician it wouldnt matter how quiet the heli was you would still hear the pollie inside it! :laugh:

Yes cheers for that Davey, but Im still wanting to know what sort of helicopter flys around the night sky landing in stealth on our hospitals and is painted a single tone of mat grey?

cheers

dhess wrote:

If it was him it would have either been a VH6-0N Whitehawk or ASH-3TS Seaking.

Check out:

/>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_One

Or it could have been a particularly good blotter.

Similar to the one top right but it had a stealth paint job, all greyish looking.

Hard to say really when your at a 45 degree angle looking up.

If not obama it was most probably military.

Not sure what they use these days.

It could have been bringing patients in from overseas is all I can think of.

It could have been one of these, above the buildings it looked a lot bigger, but this is kinda what it looked like so probably was one, apparently they are reasonably new.

But I just looked at one on youtube and they are as noisy as hell, so its a mystery.

2007-annual-report-nh90.jpg

cheers

tugger wrote:

i'm yet to see a stealth chopper and i've been around alot of diferent types, the larger types like super pumas or chonooks make a hell of a noise

the only helicopter you could call "stealth" in regards to radar detection is the Boeing/Sikorsky RAH-66 Comanche. we dont have the funding for things like that. the MRH-90 as i mentioned before is a quiet machine compared to other helicopters.

hooked_on_trout wrote:

daveylad wrote:
If it was a helicopter carrying a politician it wouldnt matter how quiet the heli was you would still hear the pollie inside it! :laugh:

Yes cheers for that Davey, but Im still wanting to know what sort of helicopter flys around the night sky landing in stealth on our hospitals and is painted a single tone of mat grey?

cheers

Keep in mind, at about that time, some big military exercises were happening around this neck of the woods involving Us, the Americans and their Defence Force. My opinion is that it was a patient getting cross-loaded from one of their ships or something along those lines......Also keep in mind, that Private Hospitals are generally used for our Defence members if needed.

As for landing in "stealth" on "our" hospitals at "night", whilst painted "grey".......Maybe you could bump it up the chain a bit (your local member for parliament???), and ask to be kept in the loop a bit more :P :laugh: :) :silly: .

Seriously mate, don't let it bother you, I spent eight years in a garrison town, and that sort of thing is quite common, I think it is just the fact that our ADF is relatively hidden away here amongst such a large population, so it would be kind of weird to see such a thing.

Cheers,

Ryan.

There is different blades available to help reduce noise.

/>http://gizmodo.com/5481081/the-blade-that-would-make-helicopters-almost-silent

Would be one example.

Although I don't think you'd be seeing a chopper with that on it here in Aus anytime soon.

Correction:

Those blades are made by Eurocopter, who, funnily enough, manufactures the NH-90s mentioned above.

Terry H wrote:

/>http://gizmodo.com/5481081/the-blade-that-would-make-helicopters-almost-silent

Would be one example.

Although I don't think you'd be seeing a chopper with that on it here in Aus anytime soon.

Maybe we weren't meant to see it :whistle: :pinch: ROFLMAO

I'm pretty intpo military based technology and such, and I have'nt heard of or seen a 'silent' whirlybird mate. It's pretty much physically impossible, although there are all these new blade designs etc that reduce the noise footprint left by the bird.

I don't doubt you saw it, don't get me wrong.

The colouration you mentioned to me means navy or spec. ops of some sort, but who knows?

The Sikorsky is quiet too, but not that quiet from the bits and pieces I have seen. The distance from you to the chopper, I'm pretty sure you would of heard one coming

Gets me. I'll look into it

I used to work with aircraft in Townsville which is a military airport - we got to see a lot of helicopters (military and civilian) and the truth is they are all quite noisy. However, I have had chopper sneak up on us. It was due to a combination of factors - high ambient noise, the aircraft approached from behind us so we didn't see it coming, there was a lot of structure around us which masked the noise and most important the wind was going head on to the chopper which helped to carry the noise away from us until it was almost on top of us.

I don't know what the exact circumstances were for you but I do know that given the right situation even loud aircraft can be sneaky.

Terry H wrote:

Would be one example.

Correction:

Those blades are made by Eurocopter, who, funnily enough, manufactures the NH-90s mentioned above.

yes also adding this fact if it was an NH-90 then all of the above + any blade technology it may have adopted would make it quiet.

cheers

Archived