Hook retrievers

Feral

Ok I have heard a few mentions of home made hook retrievers being used on sharks to de-hook them. Not that I am all that interested in letting any sharks go, but I am interested in getting back the $10 (plus) worth of hooks and trace if at all possible. I would also prefer to still be able to count to ten (I want to keep my fingers!)

So anyone want to share their favorite methods or gear for getting sharks off the hooks?

Also while we are at it, does anyone use tail ropes for sharks? what size rope, and how long does it take them to drown? (You know I dont want the 12 footer I weigh in at this years classic to chomp Angus while he is trying to weigh it!)

Please excuse my poor drawing skills with microsoft paint.

But hopefully you will get the idea.

Imagine the long black line is a broom stick.

Imagine the \"u\" shaped scribble is a D-Shackle.

Screw the D-Shackle into the broomstick (minus the D-Shackles bolt).

Essentially thats it. You use the like an oversize version of those pastic hook removers that used to come with kids tackle boxes. Put the broom handle D-Shakle first into the sharks mouth and use the D to knock the hook out. That easy.

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/05/05 10:16

Thats brilliant!

Although I might use something a bit more solid than a broomstick, like a length of 18mm rhs steel, then I can weld the D shackle on, and the shark wont bite it in half!

I was going to say I could attach it to the other end of the gaff, then I thought about what might happen if the shark bit down on it and started shaking it head! :S

Changed my mind :pinch:

Archived