Top Ten Top End Lures?

Clevo_31

Hi all!

So, I am planning a few trips these holidays >, one to burrum heads at the end of this month, and to weipa in January, as well as some small trips down the the goldy as well. All flights/accom etc paid for, now I just need to sort out my tackle box ready to hit those big fellas! :evil: .

Have already started to get some gear together, but am seeking some help with lure selection for up north .

Over the time I have up there, I want to target a variety of species, but am hoping for Barra, fingermark, jacks, threadfin and maby even some larger pelagics . Will also have some bream fishing in just for good measure :P.

So if I were to go out tomorrow and buy 10 different lures to take with me, what should I be looking for? Brand? Colour? Size?

Thanks heaps in advance :)

Jordan

Sorry offshore right now on a very boring night shift so may waffle on a bit to pass the time!

For inshore definately agree with the old favourite killalure and gold bomber range, maybe as well the lively lure (can't remember the model) in white with red under the chin. Also halco scorpion 120 in naturalish blue colours with a bit of red in it, 3,5m diver.

For offshore would suggest halco scorpion 150 in either blue with a bit of red, or the silver 'mullet' pattern. I have found the 5m diver the best trolled as hard as you can ie: about 6 knots. But you should remove the middle treble and beef up the remaining 2 trebles. Have found coral trout go mad for this lure and if I really wanted to catch a trout I would use this even over bottom bouncing.

My all time fave big GT lure is the halco lazer pro 190 crazy deep silver 'mullet' pattern again. I reckon by far the best trolled on braid so the lure works harder, with about 10 foot of mono like jinkai to give a bit of cushioning. On mono straight through it just doesnt wobble as hard and seems to get much less strikes. These generally need tuning straight out of the box though. My best GT's with this pattern have been 30.5kg closely followed by a 29.5kg model. Wahoo, longtails, spaniards etc love these too.

I would go prawn patterns for the barra eg: rio prawn, gulp shrimp etc. For jacks/fingermark and inshore GT's etc I like a 5" straight tail such as powerbait minnow in bright colours like pink and flouro green. I work them pretty hard ie: really sharp double jerk and pause retrieve.

Have you been to Weipa before? If I can suggest some landbased spots to try:

Evans landing wharf: probably the best landbased spot in Australia, maybe just beaten by the wharf at Seisa. Daytime go for queenies and jacks, sometimes longtails come into casting distance. Night time is fingermark and barra around and under the wharf, and black jew just out from the wharf a bit. If you go for black jew though the sharks can be a big nuiscance. You are garunteed fish here if you have live herring, but will get skunked on the pylons A LOT!

Rocky point: Just past the police station and pool, good for barra on low tide. Actually I just remembered its barra closed season now and will be in Jan too so suggest avoiding rocky point.

Mission river bridge: Awesome for big grunter on live prawns, have done pretty good chucking lures here too. If you have a boat there are giant things living under the bridge.

Red beach: Mad salmon fishing but watch out for crocs!

Hope this helps but going in January you may get hit by wet season monsoons.

Hope this info is still valid too, havent been up from Cairns on a Weipa fishathon in years

Archived