Outboard help

ellicat

The Force has started overheating at higher revs.

Easing off the revs to about half (give or take) and the overheat alarm stops after a few minutes.

Water is pumping through but gets pretty hot ( a bit less than the hotwater tap at home).

Suggestions ?

Impeller rooted ?

Water pump dying ?

It is not a faulty alarm.

I did feel like crying out of frustration this arvo, but that was to do with the new transducer install.

Instead I gave the punching bag a workout and then punched the wheelie bin across the driveway.

Still didn't feel any better. Wife comforted me by saying "you just have to admit you are not good at some things". Then she asked if she should leave and I said "Yes".

The impeller is fine, but I have managed to cockup the gears....no neutral and no reverse.

ok so with no thermostat is the water flowing to fast to cool the motor .

this used to happen in race cars i had .

it happen in road cars too but not so common .

we would refit the outer part of the thermostat ,the disk part with a hole in it ,no guts in it ,this acts as a restricter and slows the water flow a bit so it has time to transfer heat .

if u think about it .

at higher revs the motor is producing more heat ,but also the higher revs make the water pump spin faster .

with the extra heat and water flowing too fast ,it will over heat ,as the water flows to fast for the heat to transfer from the block to the water .

The impeller is fine, but I have managed to cockup the gears....no neutral and no reverse.

Well that beats having no forward gears and only reverse :laugh:

Sorry Brian, just had to have a dig, I dont know much about outboards and thermostats on them, is it worth just booking it in to mechanics for a once over and know that its going to start and go forwards?

Thanks for the thought Davo, it makes sense. However, the top/disc part of the thermostat is still there. The overheating problem has just started happening with no changes made since it was not having the problem.

I tried giving it a reverse flush yesterday, but it's hard to test the result with the gears dysfunctional as it empties the water from the flushing bin faster than the hose can refill it :pinch: (No muffs will fit the Force).

I've woken up only slightly cranky today, so hopefully I'll have the patience to fix the gears this morning so I can go test it properly in the river.

Well that beats having no forward gears and only reverse :laugh:

Sorry Brian, just had to have a dig, I dont know much about outboards and thermostats on them, is it worth just booking it in to mechanics for a once over and know that its going to start and go forwards?

:laugh: You may well recall I only had forward gear after day 2 at Monduran last year and you discovered as we were readying for departure that the linkage was adrift. It's not that this time :P

Anyway, after Monduran last year I said to myself I had nothing to lose and started pulling things apart and realised it's not that hard to understand. The gears really are quite simple. I managed to modify them to several different configurations and combinations of F N R; F N; F F F; F N F etc before taking it to Rumrunner. :pinch: They're not hard, but they are tricky :laugh:

The Force always starts first time every time since they rebuilt it after the 2008 BRC. I sent Ian a text last night but haven't heard back yet.....maybe he is scared :laugh: :whistle: :unsure:

So Ian (Rumrunner) came around this morning. Long story short - the gears are right again.

We checked the fuel line and filters. I just have to have a look at the plugs after I've given it a bit of stick to see if it's running lean. It doesn't look like it at the moment as I've only been putting about so the plugs are well oiled.

Impeller is fine.

Issue boils down to 3 things -

1. Head gasket

2. Crack in head (unlikely)

3. Rooted seal at the impeller housing/ water pipe connection.

3a. Rooted main water pipe.

We didn't get into the overheating thing until the gears were back together and the linkage was adjusted (which is the trickiest bit of the gears) so at this point I'm not dropping the leg again to check the water pipe. I've had enough.

Greg,

Yep, I'm taking Jeff up tomorrow night just for two days. Reading the Mondy threads made me wanna go for another crack.

I thought you were going too, but shortie tells me you've pulled out ?? I was going to sneak up and surprise you :woohoo: :lol:

PS Big thanks to Rumrunner to get here on short notice and deal with this emergency for next to nicks. Should've rung him yesterday and saved the knuckle bruising :pinch:

Archived