Advertorials....AFO admin please advise?

Rocket75

As many of you will know I am a long term AFO member who tries to get on with everyone.

But now I have a concern. :huh:

Is AFO allowing companies to run undeclared "promotional" advertorials on the Forum? :unsure:

I recently commented (as did others) on a post proclaiming to be a report, but that was clearly heavy with product placement and promotion.

One of my posts questioning the motives of the "report" seems to have been removed with no reason given.

The author of the post is now claiming to be a Site Sponsor and is upset that people are questioning aspects of the "report".

My question is this:

Are we being fed advertorials dressed up as reports posted by paying companies?

and if so...Do we still have the right to question / dissagree / comment on their "reports"?

I don't cause waves, and thought long and hard about this post. I look forward to hearing AFO's response.

Hey Rod - I'll leave this one for someone who is more in the know, but I doubt AFO would knowingly allow deceptive reports/product adverts. I'm sure you were around when we booted a certain lure company when they came in hot and heavy without any heads up to admin. They've turned out to do quite well but if they don't play nice here, they get dealt with :)

Maybe the boys just haven't found the time to get around to announcing the new sponsor yet.

I don't mind advertorials from sponsors. The site has ever increasing demands due to number increases forcing the need for upgrades etc which cost dollars. Someone has to pay for what we all enjoy for free.

I see where you're coming from Rod. It'd be nice to know stuff in advance, but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way I guess.

Communication breakdown - the cause of most troubles.

Rocket thanks for raising issue as I was thinking along the same lines.

The lack of a heads up welcoming a new sponsor to the site is most unusual but maybe they are still in the process of signing up and jumped the gun with a couple of posts.

I know at least one member has ordered a few lures off them and was impressed with their prices and service.

I didn't take um-bridge about the advertorial content of the reports but I did question the claimed length of the bass.

I have heard many reports of the fabled over 60cm bass but have never seen a photo of one on a measuring device.

Maybe someone with better research abilities than me can find a photo somewhere.

To my mind surely a group of experienced fishos would have realized the rarity of a 60+ bass and taken a photo on a measure.

Then again ,maybe I should shut up and go fishing.

Cheers

Ray

Guys the announcement regarding Austackle will be made tomorrow. Yes they are site sponsors.

Rod PM was incoming but I got distracted my bad.

Mentioned to the sponsor as well not to worry about contructive cristism as the majority of the feedback was positive and any critism was more about lengths of fish and not gear. Promoting a product in my opinion on an online forum is like displaying a piece of art. Some people will like it and some wont. At least on a forum due the its interactive nature the promoter has a chance to respond to both positive and negative feedback.

In other news ill also be getting several "Open Warehouse Sale" dates up tomorrow for Austackle. Mike from Austackle has invited the membership from AFO along to his warehouse to plunder his run out stock. There are some sensational deals available as I have seen the stock first hand. Everything from:

* High quality 50W and 80W reels suitable for Marlin land based sharking etc.

* High end hand carved wooden GT poppers for $20 that retail for $49 at a couple of Brisbane tackle stores.

* Heaps of carbon fibre rods etc.

Anyway more on that officially soon.

Cheers.

Angus

* The above is a sanctioned advertorial :P

Thanks for the clarification Angus.

This is somehting thattends to raise its head on almost every forum there is. I have seen alot of it on various cycling, running & triathlon forums over the years.

Thing is, the guerilla marketing is usually found-out pretty quick and, more often than not, the individual/s end up doing more damage to their business than if they were just upfront about there vested interest in the product being mentioned.

By the way, have you guys tried the new Arnotss YoYo biscuits ? They are the ultimate fishing snack, i dont eat anything else when flicking a lure and since

i started snacking on them my catch rate has gone up 3000%

They are amazing. Also an aphrodisiac and purported to add at least 2 inches to your todger.

347095384_a69d94c662.jpg

ok so they are a sponsor and it was an advertorial, but my question remains...are we allowed to comment on these reports (both negative and positive)?

On the same note, and following up Ray's comment, anyone who chases Bass will know the amount of time and effort fellow anglers put in to "crack a 60". To claim one, then publish an advertorial wihtout a pic with measurements is bound to cause consternation...and then to take offence when members question the claim...surely that is to be expected, whoever you are.

ok so they are a sponsor and it was an advertorial, but my question remains...are we allowed to comment on these reports (both negative and positive)?

On the same note, and following up Ray's comment, anyone who chases Bass will know the amount of time and effort fellow anglers put in to "crack a 60". To claim one, then publish an advertorial wihtout a pic with measurements is bound to cause consternation...and then to take offence when members question the claim...surely that is to be expected, whoever you are.

Absolutely can a sponser be questioned.

You will note no threads regarding the size of the bass were removed. Only a couple questioning the rights of the Advetorial itself.

I know Searing Tackle for example has received plenty of feedback over the years both positive and negative and have always responded well, usually with more fish hanging off the end of Damiki or Pontoon 21 lures :)

And I agree, until we see it on the mat, a report including a bass 60 or over will always be met with scrutiny as its just been such a mythical goal for long now.

Now excuse me I need to go buy some Arnotts Yo-yo's.

Angus

Archived