Circle Vs J-hooks

just want to know what kind of hooks anglers out there are using. i have used cicle hooks before but have found waiting for the run to annoying so mostly stick to J-hooks.

:S oops put this in wrong section can any administrators move this to tackle and accessories. sorry

Post edited by: Mack_attack, at: 2007/05/27 17:23

Mack_a I'll be watching this thread closely as I have often wondered about the merit of circles.

I tried them out a little bit this season on the bities with some success. Mainly I wanted to avoid using wire on the little fellas and sure enough the circle hooked the bullie nicely in the corner of the jaw (80 pound mono). I wasn't so luckly on the next shark 10 min later as it must have been hooked deeper and bit me off:sick:

After that I went back to J hooks and wire:silly: leaving me with a 50% success rate lol:laugh:

Its all I use for bass and yellow belly when using bait. Anything with a small mouth I use normal hooks.

I had a little experiment today with the bait stealers.

A small piece of prawn or octopus, basically about a 1 in 4 hookup rate with standard small longshank hook. Changed to the same size wide mouth hook (circle hook) and could not catch any of the small stuff for love or money.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/05/27 17:59

Archived