Prevent your lures tangleing and rusting.

You may have noticed in a couple of my posts I have mentioned a product called \"lure mate\".

They are a plastic device that has a zinc anode inserted in it.

The zinc prevents the hooks from rusting and the device holds the trebles snug against the body of the lure and prevents the lures from tangling whilst in your tackle box.

Another advantage is that they do not fall off like the clip on plastic ones do.

Using lure mates I have no problems storing at least 36 lures in a plano tackle tray with all lures being clearly visible and no tangling problems.

I have been using them for around 4 years and have never had a problem.

I got them at a boat show years ago and until now have not been able to purchase any more.

I have now found that Shiloh Plastics are the brisbane agent. The contact point is Ian Smith 388801666 or shiloh@bigpond.net.au.

I have just purchased a packet of 54 doubles for $46.20 including gst and postage.

I had a yarn to Ian and he said that he is in the process of talking to Dave Downey about promoting them.

They also used to make a lure roll for storing the lure mates and a slotted device that you could mount on your boat. I have both and the roll is quite handy but I have never got around to mounting the other device.

I dont know if the roll and slotted device are still available.

I will be bringing them along to the Hinze outing this weekend if anyone wishes to have a look at them.

I will attempt to attach a couple of photos of them. Unfortunatly they are not too clear but I can email some better ones if you request .

Ray [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1010602_AFO.jpg

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2007/05/29 19:11

post-230-144598416209_thumb.jpg

Hope you can see how they work. I also use them to protect the hooks when i stop fishing and wish to leave the lure attached to my line. It stops the hooks from catching on objects or more painfully parts of your body.

They are a little expensive but I think their advantages make them a worthwhile investment as after all they are cheaper than having to replace a set of rusted trebles and you know that your hooks are not going to be rusty when you next wish to use them.

Ray

Good idea. I use rubber bands, in exactly the same manner around the trebles.

Id hate to think how many of things I would have to buy, Ive got around 30 Plano lure trays each one would contain 40 to 50 lures.

Lure maintenance is the key to getting the most life out of lures and terminal tackle. I always wash them down on returning home in fresh soapy water, then rinse in fresh water & finally they hang on a rack to dry. They go in a fresh clean dry tray at home, never store them in the same tray that was in the boat unless its been washed and dried.

Lures used in salt get a spray of olive oil.

Lures are always stored in a cool dark place, never in sunlight.

There is no substitute for regular maintenance.

Cheers

James

Archived