Out the back of Mud

blairv

Headed out over Easter in the flat conditions and pulled an all nighter over the East reefs of Mud.

Action was aplenty with some Herrings from the poo Shute chucked out and hit by some decent Grassies going 35 and 37 cm. The fishing was full on with hits on every bait thrown out (squid mainly) but alot of undersize Squire with some more good Grassies and a 40 cm Sole in between.

Best action of the session came at around 4 am when my 4000 series went off it's nut - I really need to respool this as it got down to the backing very quickly!!!

Thinking all sorts of great thoughts as the fight was fantastic - big snapper, big grassy or a nice size Mackeral I kept my patience and had a great scrap for ten minutes or so.

Finally got some colour and at first glance I thought it was a big thready - my deckie was having issues withe the net but when we finally got it on board - imagine the shock to see the biggest catfish I have ever seen!!!

Not only did it go at least 5 or 6 kilos and 70+ cms but the colour was amazing - very silver and with streaks on it almost lie a Mack!

Anyone else caught these buggars around there? Quite a suprise to see them around the reefs.

Will be heading out again should the winds be kind this weekend.

thats not the common fork tail catfish, thats the blue catfish with markings like a spaniard. get them all the time out there, imagine you mate cathing big nannies and you hook what you think is a stonker nanni just to turn out to be a blue catty lol dohhhhhhhhh

Archived