My Turn..............

Gcarj

I today had a nice couple of hours out in the bay and bought home a few pan size fish that I am stoked with. I'm learning fast and quickly wanting and expecting more as each trip i go on.

My catch is by no means exceptional but as you all may have noticed, I have never had anything worthy of a post so I thought buggar it ill put it out there for all to see and hopefully better it in posts to come.

The 2 snapper were just legal at 36cm each and the grassy 30. The one problem I have is i am not sure what the big red is? Im almost sure its an emperor of some type..........maybe a sweetlip or redthroght emperor??

I took an educated guess and decided it was legal size as it went 48cm. All the emperor size limits are smaller than this.

Anyone help with the id of the fish.

Cheers, Glenn

post-8723-144598611631_thumb.jpg

Nice catch mate, have got one mark at mud where I catch nannies fairly consistently, best time of year march - may. Have been getting them for a coupla years now. You may have done this already but try fishing peeled green prawns around mud. They catch more fish than any other bait. Them and halved pillies, can't go wrong!! :)

Also - have caught undersized reds in the bay many times, fingers crossed the big boys move in one day!!

Nice catch mate, have got one mark at mud where I catch nannies fairly consistently, best time of year march - may. Have been getting them for a coupla years now. You may have done this already but try fishing peeled green prawns around mud. They catch more fish than any other bait. Them and halved pillies, can't go wrong!! :)

Also - have caught undersized reds in the bay many times, fingers crossed the big boys move in one day!!

To be honest that was my first trip to mud. Squid was what i used to catch the nannie. Got another one that was about 30cm. Pretty happy with that 48cm one. Where do you get your prawns?

To be honest that was my first trip to mud. Squid was what i used to catch the nannie. Got another one that was about 30cm. Pretty happy with that 48cm one. Where do you get your prawns?

Mate any of the fish shops sell green prawns for $10-$18/kilo. If you live southside there is a seafood van across from the glen on Logan rd that is good value and quality. Even woolies isnt too bad sometimes. Squid strips are good but everything eats prawns, gives you the most options. Tuskys, grassys, snaps all love them and will eat them in preference to other baits.

How do you present your peeled prawns on the hook Benno? I've been meaning to use them for bait for a while - we always used whole prawns (mainly servo ones) as kids and yeah, the head makes them very hard to present in a way they won't just get picked to pieces.

Gcarj - mind if I ask generally what side/area of Mud. No specifics - just N/S/E/W. Although don't feel you have to as I can always just explore myself.

Cheers,

Kelvin.

Cheers gcarj - much appreciated. More than enough detail, I never expect people to give away exact locations. Have only fished the western side so far (twice) so will keep checking the island out and exploring.

Yeah I need to get more organised with my bait and buy in bulk or when it is cheap. Going to invest in a little freezer I think so I can buy pillies in bulk.

I've got to get one of those myself. The missus is on to me about the amount of fishing bait in our freezer......no room left...lol

I put my bait in zip lock bags, enough for each session. I only really fish from 6-11am then head for home. Ived worked out how much I use on average and pack that into the bags. When I leave in the morning I grab a bag of pillies and a bag of squid then go. Might do that same with the prawns I think. I like the squid because its tough. Sometimes I can catch 15 small squire with the same piece.

Thanks to my secretary for answering this one, wished she looked good in a skirt...

Peel all the shell off and cut a bit as long ascent shank of the hook. I almost exclusively use gamakatsu 3/0 baitholders around mud. Feed it up the hook so it sits on the shank with little or no curve. Sits better in the current.

Price - you pay $4-$5 for a 200g packet of servo prawns, I.e $20-$25 per kilo. The green prawns I get are generally $12-$14 a kilo so cheaper by far. Better quality being fresh not frozen for months too.

There are some good spots on the western side too, look for drop offs, rubble and wire weed on the sounder. There is one spot that has several large bommies a fair way out from the island nw corner that is probably the most consistent.

Archived