Your thoughts on the Daiwa TD Sol 2000 ?

Im looking at buying a few new reels and have been looking at the Daiwa Sol 2000 model...Would like to get some feed back on anyone that owns 1 or have used this reel before. I will be placing it on a 2/4kg rod with 4 or 6lb braid

post-8912-144598615581_thumb.png

Your input would be much appreciated ;):)

Sols are brilliant mate, you will see lots of my fish photos have a Sol in the background. About the same price as a stradic, I've had both and I reckon the sol is superior- very very smooth and seems a sturdier reel.

I have had 3 shimano c14 stradic's and now its time for a change, I have heard great reports about the TD Sol 2000, i have been told that the roller bearing in the bail-arm has been known to falt sometimes but apart from that its on par with the c14

mate i have the 2500 and its beautiful if we go out for a fish tomorrow i will let u hav a flick with it and see what u think :)

Sounds good Ross will be good to meet you ;)

i have a couple of sol 2000 and a couple of sol 2500. great reels for that price range. smooth drags and great casting range.

as with a lot of daiwa reels in that range, the line roller bearing can get noisy. regular lubrication keeps on top of it, although I plan to replace with better quality line roller bearings at some stage.

marty

the one thing i dont like about daiwa reels is the sound (or lack thereof) of the drag ratchet..... its much much more quiet than the shimano one.....

Functionally no difference based on that i know, but the loud ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZ! is always music to the ears ! :)

that said, i do have two daiwas, a Tierra 3000 and a Bay Area 150

I might have one for sale soon if you're interested. Just gota send it off to get serviced first.

the one thing i dont like about daiwa reels is the sound (or lack thereof) of the drag ratchet..... its much much more quiet than the shimano one.....

Functionally no difference based on that i know, but the loud ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZ! is always music to the ears ! :)

Man you should get a daiwa Steez. Them things scream louder then any shimano i've fished with..

The Sol is a great reel the only issue being the line roller bearing requires constant lubrication and maintenance if used in the salt for fast running fish. Have an old model Certate with the same bearing am now running a bush from a Caldia in it.

Ci4 is a piece of crap if used heavily and at high drag settings soon carks it.

I have owned 4 C14 @ 2 of them the roller bearing in the bail-arm made a noise after a few months of useing it in fresh/salt water. Every reel i own i always wash it down with fresh water and still after a few months the roller bearing gets noise.... I find it very noisy if im reeling in a blade or something a little heavy then i hear a bad vibration grinding noise. I just dont understand why 2 of my C14 are doing this being a few months old. :unsure:

So thats why i might give Daiwa a try :)

I have owned 4 C14 @ 2 of them the roller bearing in the bail-arm made a noise after a few months of useing it in fresh/salt water. Every reel i own i always wash it down with fresh water and still after a few months the roller bearing gets noise.... I find it very noisy if im reeling in a blade or something a little heavy then i hear a bad vibration grinding noise. I just dont understand why 2 of my C14 are doing this being a few months old. :unsure:

Hey mate i would look to get your CI4 serviced however being quite new purchases I would also ring Shimano and discuss the issue as you have a warranty and could be repaired if there is a manufacturers fault.

My CI4 hasn't missed a beat and Shimano products & Daiwa products for that matter are rock solid and have great warranties.

The vbration... where is it coming from, around the spool or in the the main case of the reel body ?

Hey mate i would look to get your CI4 serviced however being quite new purchases I would also ring Shimano and discuss the issue as you have a warranty and could be repaired if there is a manufacturers fault.

My CI4 hasn't missed a beat and Shimano products & Daiwa products for that matter are rock solid and have great warranties.

The vbration... where is it coming from, around the spool or in the the main case of the reel body ?

Yea it sounds like the head of the spool/bail arm.. i get a bad vibration when pointing the rod tip down and winding in fast, it sounds like an egg beater vibration.....I always hose on a light spray all my reels i think this is ok, but some say all your doing is forcing the salt into the reel ?

Although they have water proof drag systems, you should tighten the drag when rinshing the reel. i don't beleive your washing more water "salt" into the reel, even when you read the documentation with the reels they will recomend you rinse them with resh warm water (not all reels but these can be washed that way).

Have you taken the spool off to have a look

How does the reel feel when you use it off the rod?

To save time and worry, call Shimano and if that fails to work i.e. under warranty take it to a tackle shop and get them to look at it :)

Although they have water proof drag systems, you should tighten the drag when rinshing the reel. i don't beleive your washing more water "salt" into the reel, even when you read the documentation with the reels they will recomend you rinse them with resh warm water (not all reels but these can be washed that way).

Have you taken the spool off to have a look

How does the reel feel when you use it off the rod?

To save time and worry, call Shimano and if that fails to work i.e. under warranty take it to a tackle shop and get them to look at it :)

Yea when i take the reel off the rod its nice and smooth no sound, i have found that only under tension i get the noise and even worse with the rod tip down. I will do that take it in and get it checked over....Thanks for the advise Manni ;):)

Yea it sounds like the head of the spool/bail arm.. i get a bad vibration when pointing the rod tip down and winding in fast, it sounds like an egg beater vibration.....I always hose on a light spray all my reels i think this is ok, but some say all your doing is forcing the salt into the reel ?

Although I hose mine off sometimes I much prefer to wipe them down with warm water and a rag, I tend to wash the spool more thoroughly though.

Ended up buying a New Daiwa TD Sol 2000 for my New 1/3kg T Curve, but have been told by a few people that this reel is ment for fresh water rather then salt water......So im not sure what to think now....O well time will tell :)

They feel really nice and smooth, I just can't get passed that colour though, just don't do it for me :sick:

If they produce it in black, or even red, hell I could even handle blue, I'd be sold.

Whats your thoughts Bill better then my C14, and the sol do you think its ok for salt water fishing ?... :huh:

I have had a Sol 2000 for the last 2 years and its my baby. Its one of the smoothest reels i have ever used and I must say i prefer it over the exist (as the exist is to smooth for me). Also it can handle a wide range of fish as I have caught 5kg Cod and jewies on it. It is also very hard to destroy and will last you a long time. My setup is the Sol 2000 and a Sol rod.... it works a treat.

??? quiet??? really?? man my daiwa's have THE loudest drags. They're bloody piercing. I can hear the drag go off through bushland when bashing through Lost World.

Luvias, exist and certate... soooooo much louder than stradic, ci4 or stella.

I treat mine like shit and it still works. Even caught a 1.15m spanish on it with 8lb braid. Had it serviced once and cost me $100 for a few new bearings. Still going strong after 3-4 years and sometimes it gets drowned when heading out through the surf on the yak.

Treat them mean they love it. :evil: (may not be the best advice)

Archived