Lure attachments

tobie10

On hard bodies...

Split ring to line? Split ring to snap? No split ring to line loop?

I've been doing split ring to line or line loop and that's been working out fine. I've heard that it's better to take the split ring off though...?

Mate 90% of the time I will tie a loop to whatever is provided on the lure - if blades then to the snap, if hardbodies then to the split or to the eye, if there is no split.

I'm going to start running a snap on one of the rods I use for impoundment trolling simply so I can quickly change lures as I want.

Also thinking of doing it in high current or wind areas, to save me being blown out of position whilst changing lures

if the lure has a split ring i tie directly to it with a palomar knot. lately i have been using a snap but thats more convenience coz i change lures often especially when filming the lures. my 1st choice is to tie direct to the split ring or use a loop if not split ring is present

blades that have a snap like the vault i also tie directly. if there is no split ring or snap then a rapala (loop) knot.

i wont tie loop knots to split rings or snaps.

rob

On bigger hard bodied lures the action of the lure is not greatly affected usually by using a clip. However on small hardbody lures the use of a split ring and clip can substantially affect its action.

Split rings really are to do away with the need for loop knots but my experience has been that you are better off using a loop knot directly onto the front towing point of the lure and do away with the split ring altogether.

There are several very good loop knots you can use - my preference is a leftys Loop knot because its very simple to tie for old guys like me whos eyesight isnt what it used to be.

Thanks for the replies. Wonder if there's a difference in action between tying directly to a split or a loop to an eye? Seems like both work from the sounds of it.

depending on the lure, definately

I don't supply a split ring on the tow point of the threadybusters as the best action is achieved by a loop knot direct, proved many times in the testing pool.

this would apply to most vibe/blade lures unless a large enough clip is used without any sharp/abrupt bits that can interact with the tow point (if that makes any sense in text) and even then i'm not sure of the effect of the different density/weight of a clip, i just think its worth learning a loop knot- quick and easy knot to tie and will give you the best action.

probably not an issue for bibbed hardbodies as i'm talking mainly about action on the drop

as rob says avoid loop knot to split ring as the loop can get caught up in the ring

cheers

Dan

Thanks for the knot recommendation Orca - it's a lot simpler than the one I was tying (that I had to keep looking up). I've only been using little hardbodies so far, but what you guys have said makes a lot of sense. Works for me anyways, I was starting to put the split rings on without a proper plier which is a pain!

get yourself a pair of texas tackle split ring pliers, the design is awesome with the little tab placed back a bit from the tip of the pliers. i have to thread up plenty of rings and they make the job easy. safety orange handles, most tacklestores stock them i think

cheers

Dan

Thanks for the knot recommendation Orca - it's a lot simpler than the one I was tying (that I had to keep looking up). I've only been using little hardbodies so far, but what you guys have said makes a lot of sense. Works for me anyways, I was starting to put the split rings on without a proper plier which is a pain!

to be honest we sell all of our lures with split rings but thats only because market feedback told us that there are a lot of people out there cant be bothered tying a decent loop knot!

to be honest we sell all of our lures with split rings but thats only because market feedback told us that there are a lot of people out there cant be bothered tying a decent loop knot!

I find that even with a split ring the lure won't work as well as just a good loop connection. Some of these people are probably the ones that right lures off as a gimmick.

Mate 90% of the time I will tie a loop to whatever is provided on the lure - if blades then to the snap, if hardbodies then to the split or to the eye, if there is no split.

I'm going to start running a snap on one of the rods I use for impoundment trolling simply so I can quickly change lures as I want.

Also thinking of doing it in high current or wind areas, to save me being blown out of position whilst changing lures

Jords you do what i do but i only do it 91% of the time ;):)

Archived