hydrofoil who uses one & who doesn't & why?

blockah

To recently bought a 25hp yamaha that had one on it, when I put it on my tinny it was really hard to steer, and when I got off the throttle for some reason the boat would tilt violently to one side, took it off and it's all good! But it did get straight on the plane, and I suppose steering wouldn't have been as much of a problem if it wasn't tiller

i'd be interested to hear some results from this also. i'd like to get a bit more hole shot performance and reduce my rpm while planning. have looked into a few brands but they all require drilling... any brands which bolt in to existing factory bolt holes?

se sport hydro foils now have a drill-free sport kit, northside marine have the kits for $99. why do i think i would benefit from one, hmm well i don't think that as yet but if they do all what they say they do, ( faster to the plan, better fuel, slower planing speed, better handling.ect well why wouldn't you want to in crease the performance of your boat.thats if they do all these things.& well the down side of having one, well thats what im trying to find out.

I have an SE Sports on my 40hp Mercury. It performs much better with it, but if trimmed right down and then given a bootful it will cause the boat to want to barrell roll and will capsize.

I have posted about it a couple of times previous and also had some people on here in the boat and have showed them how easy it can do it.

Just be wary about it...

My boat came with one on it, 4.8 centre console with a 60 4stroke yamaha, guy said it was on the boat since new to prevent cavitation and give it a bit of lift out of the hole so i can't say what it was like with out it.

I am getting pretty good fuel economy and reasonable speed out of it so i have no complaints.

i'd be interested to hear some results from this also. i'd like to get a bit more hole shot performance and reduce my rpm while planning. have looked into a few brands but they all require drilling... any brands which bolt in to existing factory bolt holes?

Eug, I put one on the discovery; a bolt on, and I reckon it improved hole shot, fuel use and handling. Didn't really notice any drop in top speed but it would be negligible on a 40 horse motor if there was.

Eug, I put one on the discovery; a bolt on, and I reckon it improved hole shot, fuel use and handling. Didn't really notice any drop in top speed but it would be negligible on a 40 horse motor if there was.

good to hear bud... did you go for the SE sport by chance? quite often when fully loaded i wish they'd rate the hull to a 50, could do with a bit of a kick for the bar crossing.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived