Kayaking Brays Rock, where to launch?

PlasticFantastic

Ok the weather forecast for tomorrow is nothing short of awesome and it's my rdo so that means yakking. Was thinking of hitting Brays Rock up the Sunny Coast to see if the Tuna are up there and anything else is around. All I want to know is where to launch from' i've heard of a ramp at Kings Beach or Moffat Beach and looking on Google Maps Moffat Beach looks like the safer option. Who here has done the trip and has the heads up on the launch or anything I should know about the area, also if anyone else is keen feel free to come along.

Cheers

Mark

From reading all the yakkers' reports over the years I have learnt one thing about Kings Beach ramp.

That is "Do not do it if Henry Do$tylz is around" :whistle: :lol:

Apart from that I would just check the swell direction when heading from Moffat to see if you're up against it.

There is a webcam setup for Kings on www.coastalwatch.com.au

Very interesting.. i just got back in the Caloundra bar from fishing just south of Brays rock.. and i just got smoked by a tuna, long story short i went to cast my tuna setup at them busting and the bail closed and my slug snapped off all i had rigged was a bream raider with a 5 inch with 10lb i pulled like 100m and my leader broke at the knot to the main line. I was in my tinny by myself and had no one to drive the boat to chase it :( they are still there. What time u thinking of heading out tomorrow?

Mate kings beach ramp is fine. A few things to think about that I have picked up from tomca and terry h, store your rods in the yak if possible before launching and put your reels in the esky, this will prevent them going for a swim if you get rolled same for coming back in, if the surfs up when coming back in land on the beach and walk back to the ramp, ware non slip shoes and time the swell if any. Apart from that its quit easy to do and a relatively safe place to launch. I am hoping to get back up there in a few weeks time so maybe we can plan a trip out there.

Very interesting.. i just got back in the Caloundra bar from fishing just south of Brays rock.. and i just got smoked by a tuna, long story short i went to cast my tuna setup at them busting and the bail closed and my slug snapped off all i had rigged was a bream raider with a 5 inch with 10lb i pulled like 100m and my leader broke at the knot to the main line. I was in my tinny by myself and had no one to drive the boat to chase it :( they are still there. What time u thinking of heading out tomorrow?

Was going to arrive at about 530ish and suss the two launch spots before heading off, i'll be taking the 20 and 30lb setups so no messing around with the light gear on Tuna. Dennis I can get all my gear away reels included just not the rods might haveto strap them to the centre hatch or something but keen for a trip in the future as well.

Cheers

Mark

Dude i might meet u out there... I live back in caloundra and i can walk to my local boat ramp (Caloundra coast guard, 250 meters away maybe)

if u launch from Kings u will get there way faster then me. Its 4.2km to brays from moffet and 5.4km from my boat ramp. It may be closer but i think i found what looks like Brays rock on google maps.. hard to tell as its a bad image.

I gots a red Hobie Adventure i may have one out rigger on it. Also i got Dreadlocks so that is a give away.

Whats ur ride so i know who to look out for?

I'm lazy its easier for me to walk to the ramp down the road then pack the yak on the ute.

Cheers

Travis

Decided Moffats would be the best bet for my first launch up there and with the forcast and looking at a few cams there'a bugger all in the way of swell. So the car is packed, yak on top and i'm setup so that if i go arse up everything is in the hatch and the rods are strapped to the yak aswell. So if all goes well i should have a report with some tuna in it.

Cheers

Mark

Dude i might meet u out there... I live back in caloundra and i can walk to my local boat ramp (Caloundra coast guard, 250 meters away maybe)

if u launch from Kings u will get there way faster then me. Its 4.2km to brays from moffet and 5.4km from my boat ramp. It may be closer but i think i found what looks like Brays rock on google maps.. hard to tell as its a bad image.

I gots a red Hobie Adventure i may have one out rigger on it. Also i got Dreadlocks so that is a give away.

Whats ur ride so i know who to look out for?

I'm lazy its easier for me to walk to the ramp down the road then pack the yak on the ute.

Cheers

Travis

Mate i'll be in a blue and white Profish 45, i'll look at Kings first as it is alot closer but the idea of slippery rocks and carrying a heavy yak dont appeal. See you out there if you are.

Cheers

Mark

I would launch at Kings Beach any day of the week.

Moffats waves are always dumpers, and you can easily come unstuck there if you aren't careful.

Kings Beach may have rocks and a solid concrete ramp to land on, but the waves are generally quite sheltered, and just normal rolling waves anyway. Worst case scenario at Kings, you can abort your landing literally 5 metres out from the boat ramp and paddle into the waves for the set, turn around and come into the ramp nice and calmly. Then you drag your yak up about 30 metres at most and you're at the car.

Moffats is much further to drag the kayak, and you cannot ride the waves there. Most of the time at Moffats I don't even try to surf a wave in, I just jump off and swim my kayak in.

I only ever launch the AI at Moffats.

Unless it is a dead low tide, you dont normally have any slippery rocks to take the kayak over at Kings Beach Boat Ramp. It is a rough cement boat ramp with wooden slats over. At low tide you have to be a little bit careful as there isn't much of a ramp and it is more rocks. Even then, I never wear shoes and have never slipped.

I have probably launched at Kings over 100 times, apart from a bit of roughage on the bottom of the kayak, the only damage I have ever had is when some other kayaker tried to lend a hand. That person grabbed my kayak when I came in, and didn't pick the nose of the kayak up. A wave then hit the kayak and pushed it sideways over the boat ramp... Funnily enough as you can imagine, not lifting the kayak nose up high enough when that happens results in a not so straight mirage drive...

hahaha.. man that place gives me nightmares :D

I'll pony up oneday and do it again... just when its flat as a tach. But mate.. the ramp is pretty easy to launch in. If I can launch my profish in the weather I did, anyone can.

But yes.. like everyone has said... don't get lazy, stow your gear away before re-entry. Otherwise look forwards to losing a hat, stradic, t-curve, dignity, lunch....

hahaha.. man that place gives me nightmares :D

I'll pony up oneday and do it again... just when its flat as a tach. But mate.. the ramp is pretty easy to launch in. If I can launch my profish in the weather I did, anyone can.

But yes.. like everyone has said... don't get lazy, stow your gear away before re-entry. Otherwise look forwards to losing a hat, stradic, t-curve, dignity, lunch....

Or alternatively, don't drift into the beach side on with your head down where you can't see the waves approaching :whistle: :P

Archived