inspired by angus...... ( 15 000 posts )

madmullet

guys and girl. how ofter do you go on afo.... eg

for me when i get to work at 7.30am i turn the computer on and log on to afo and dont log of till 3.30 in the arvo and then Occasionally i will jump onto afo from my phone of an evening and on the odd time on the weekend via my phone........

and tell us the trueth............. :):):):):):):)

the post count thing can be a farce... any old fruit loop or slim jim can say "nice bream" or "well done" on every report made. if there was a count for value of comments/reports then so be it

I

Agree

With Planetfonz :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :P:P :silly: :silly:

The majority of users with high post counts for obvious reasons have either been on for ages or are large contributors. It's easy to recognise those guys and assume they have heaps of experience or knowledge.

In my opinion most of them are really great people with a wealth of knowledge and then others are just what you mention PlanetFonz, more worried about post count than quality.

But we are all guilty of "nice Bream" or "well done" but people post reports coz they want to share something and it's nice to be recognised for it with, whether it be a couple words or a life story lol :)

P.S Sorry Kurt to respond to your thread, I have it opened all day at work and have a peak here and there when I can, generally you will see me post from early morning to late at night and if i'm catching fish then most likely putting up reports Sat & Sun night, I love this site, has made my fishing skills improve heaps because of AFO !!!

the post count thing can be a farce... any old fruit loop or slim jim can say "nice bream" or "well done" on every report made. if there was a count for value of comments/reports then so be it

ok good on ya a bit of a dig, but what ever, not quite what i was looking for but meh......

and anyway who cares if some one is saying "nice bream" or "well done", and thats it. its call Appreciation, it doesnt matter what you say whether it is advice or saying thanks, not everyone has a knolageable fishing back ground, or can get out to post their own stories.

i for one do post stories and do give advise " but do sauy nice bream " and " good sesh " but that must be cause i am a slim jim or froot loop huh.....

sorry but ia m now peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeved

AFO is my reality check and keeps me sane when I'm at work, which is being offshore for a month at a time (which is like being in prison except you don't get daily papers!). I probably log in at least 10 times a day when offshore. This gets me fired up for fishing when I get home, and also I am generally watching live underwater video out here of all the sea life that lives around rigs and pipelines, and believe me there is a huge amount of it. This just makes my cravings to go fishing even worse!

Currently heading down to Bass Strait to survey a pipeline, and expecting to be subjected to watching hordes of giant snapper in the video every day, therefore will have extreme fishing withdrawl symptoms by the time I get home in a month.

Can post some underwater video if anybody's interested, if someone can tell me how to do it.

If I am in the office I'll be online for a fair chunk of the day and I'm usually scanning the forum throughout the evening. Also don't see anything wrong with giving someone a "nice bream" comment or the like, if they've gone to the effort of putting up a report then why not it's not hurting anyone.

Im pretty much on most of the time, even when im out shopping with my wife (boring) i will log on, sometimes there is non interesting things going on, but also sometimes there are things that i did not know and interesting things also.

There are alot of good people on this site, altho i have only met 3 but will eventually get around to meeting more people.

AFO is my reality check and keeps me sane when I'm at work, which is being offshore for a month at a time (which is like being in prison except you don't get daily papers!). I probably log in at least 10 times a day when offshore. This gets me fired up for fishing when I get home, and also I am generally watching live underwater video out here of all the sea life that lives around rigs and pipelines, and believe me there is a huge amount of it. This just makes my cravings to go fishing even worse!

Currently heading down to Bass Strait to survey a pipeline, and expecting to be subjected to watching hordes of giant snapper in the video every day, therefore will have extreme fishing withdrawl symptoms by the time I get home in a month.

Can post some underwater video if anybody's interested, if someone can tell me how to do it.

Hey mate, if you upload to your tube 1st you can then copy and paste the link into a AFO thread and the vid will appear. would be interesting to see

ok good on ya a bit of a dig, but what ever, not quite what i was looking for but meh......

and anyway who cares if some one is saying "nice bream" or "well done", and thats it. its call Appreciation, it doesnt matter what you say whether it is advice or saying thanks, not everyone has a knolageable fishing back ground, or can get out to post their own stories.

i for one do post stories and do give advise " but do sauy nice bream " and " good sesh " but that must be cause i am a slim jim or froot loop huh.....

sorry but ia m now peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeved

let it be on the record that if i was having a dig at you, i'd have said so, so don't take it personally. you have to agree that anyone can join, say well done 1500 times and be classed as an expert by the site, thus increasing the legitimacy of the posts in question.

there's a saying in the gaming forum world, "you are not your post count" and it rings true on every msg board.

lets just run a vote and get rid of post counts all together or something. replace them with colours or little dolph lungren heads

haha this is funny. I am on all the time and am constantly frustrated that there is not enough reports to satisfy me. It takes all types and I do not think the author was trying to make a statement on how good people are due to their number of posts. I know myself when I post I want comments. Otherwise I would not post. If everybody was to read it and not make a comment then people would not post.

We just need to be careful not to offend people that are supporting fellow AFOers. I do not think there is any competition here.

The majority of users with high post counts for obvious reasons have either been on for ages or are large contributors. It's easy to recognise those guys and assume they have heaps of experience or knowledge.

In my opinion most of them are really great people with a wealth of knowledge and then others are just what you mention PlanetFonz, more worried about post count than quality.

But we are all guilty of "nice Bream" or "well done" but people post reports coz they want to share something and it's nice to be recognised for it with, whether it be a couple words or a life story lol :)

P.S Sorry Kurt to respond to your thread, I have it opened all day at work and have a peak here and there when I can, generally you will see me post from early morning to late at night and if i'm catching fish then most likely putting up reports Sat & Sun night, I love this site, has made my fishing skills improve heaps because of AFO !!!

well put manni after my first couple of years on afo i got tired of the nice fish mate crew

and the post count race

but angus hitting 15000 posts is proof that the guy is commited to the site and what it has become

good on ya angus, thanks

Hey mate, if you upload to your tube 1st you can then copy and paste the link into a AFO thread and the vid will appear. would be interesting to see

You can also just upload directly to AFO. Go to Community > Videos > Add Video

Thanks Kurt and glad you like the site, helping people and I hope you have found some inspiration yourself here.

I cant really take credit for having 15000 helpful posts though. Many have been boring admin related ones etc etc. Plus being one of the 1st members helps as well :P

Also I have to agree, a simple "good fish" comment is fine by me. I would be certainly less inclined to do reports if I thought no one was reading. We also added the "Thank You" tab to give another option to people to convey the same message. If people, want to "rack up" post counts I think "whatever". It really doesnt bother or concern me as I take more interest in what is said as opposed to the number under the name.

Angus

I'm pretty sure noone writes there reports to themselves and it's nice to get a few responces even if there 1 or 2 words and so what if people rack up there count I don't see how it affects any one?

Oh and Kurt I'll jump on every arvo after work to check it out and maybe throw in a "nice bream" or a "good stuff" and if I'm lucky enough to get out on a weekend I'll try and throw together a little report none of us will ever be pro writers but it's fun to write a amature report from time to time and this site is all about sharing experience,information and a laugh not post counts.

Good thread.

Cam :)

I've been a member for 2.5yrs, to start with AFO was my holiday forum, because I wanted to see what's happening in the bay while on holidays, this got me pumped up to go fishing, (It was for selfish reasons only, what can I get from it, most of us probably started here for this reason)over the time I have found myself getting on more, and wanting to contribute more, by putting up a "Nice sesh" etc and even sharing my own fishing trips, (hopefully will get more) AFO is a really great community of experienced and not so experienced fisho's that are either looking for help or giving advice and I think it's great to be apart of it.

but to answer your question lately, whenever I am home AFO is up in a window, and when I've got some time free I refresh the page and have a read. B)

Cheers

Mick

I log on and check through the latest posts most nights of the week - normally for at least half an hour but sometimes quite a bit longer, especially if I'm going fishing in the next couple of days. I've learned much more about the fishing options available to me in Moreton Bay than I otherwise would have, and am always interested in what is biting where.

With regards to the mention of post counts, I couldn't give two hoots and imagine most would be the same - certainly don't keep an eye on how many I've got in comparison with others. Like Ted said, when I post (and it's not that often as I don't catch that much!!!!) I check back to see what others have written, and appreciate replies whether they know me personally or not, write a couple of paragraphs or just say well done.

AFO - Facebook for fishermen in my opinion!!!!

Im pretty much on most of the time, even when im out shopping with my wife (boring) i will log on, sometimes there is non interesting things going on, but also sometimes there are things that i did not know and interesting things also.

There are alot of good people on this site, altho i have only met 3 but will eventually get around to meeting more people.

yes their are alot of good people on hear and i personally have met quite afew now and as you get to no people, it draws you back to the site.....

yes their are alot of good people on hear and i personally have met quite afew now and as you get to no people, it draws you back to the site.....

Agreed. That is why we encourage people so much to get to the more social events like the State Of Origin Fishing Competition. Comp aside its an extremely social event and usually the AFO members that make the effort to attend something like this are the ones that become the long term lovers of the site. It really breaks the barrier between just being a user on a forum and part of the community proper in my personal opinion.

Angus

guys and girl. how ofter do you go on afo.... eg

for me when i get to work at 7.30am i turn the computer on and log on to afo and dont log of till 3.30 in the arvo and then Occasionally i will jump onto afo from my phone of an evening and on the odd time on the weekend via my phone........

and tell us the trueth............. :):):):):):):)

Too much for too long. :pinch:

i love this site have learnt heaps and hope someone has learnt something from me dont mind the nice bream who care about posts its nice to have someone say that to let you know your report or threads being read. plan on fishing with alot more members over the years definitely will once i get my p's instead of hassling rents to give me lift etc look forward to getting to know a few members

p.s keep up the good work gus

Archived