First for John

nadders

Hey guys,

the lure game has been keeping me very busy, so much so that I've barely hit the water over the last few months. A mate of mine who was keen on hitting the river and possibly opening his threadfin account gave me the motivation to get out there, so we went for a quick evening session.

John hasn't had much experience fishing around the river mouth, or with my style of lures in general, having done only one trip with me in the past (in which he managed 3 or 4 jewies, while pretty small fish it shows he's a quick learner)

We fished a few spots first up and I had a scattered number of tailor coming in on a new prototype, while John hooked up very solidly on his 95mm threadybuster. Bit hard to call the fish as it was only on for a short while before burying him deep in some pilons, but I'm tempted to say a decent cod

We decided to make another move and sounded out a few patches of bait along another spot, so John dropped his lure in and after one short hop on the bottom he came up very solid. For the first minute or so the fish didn't do a whole lot and even looked like a stingray, sitting hard on the bottom (John thought he was bricked at one point) but then it took off in normal fashion and zipped about the place.

Thankfully my electric motor kicked the bucket for the short 5min window of the fight, literally came good as soon as the fish was released, but anyway I could tell he was connected to a good thready, and as he was super keen to get one we were both pretty excited. He did a great job keeping the line away from motors etc, and keeping pressure on the line, with the fish zipping under the boat a few times before changing direction straight back towards him. soon enough a nice thready was boatside with a purple back threadybuster just barely holding on in the corner of the mouth (fell out in the landing net so if he didn't keep the pressure up the fish could have likely gotten off)

Few pics and into the water, the thready was kicking hard but bladder was a bit inflated and she couldnt get down, so I got out the release weight and sent her back to the bottom.

After the thready we mucked around a bit and picked up a few more tailor before heading in.

here are the pics:

p7241062.jpg

p7241064.jpg

Cheers,

Dan

lol doobs, no smile rule was temporarily relaxed. not for next time though :)

ghendo, the lure company is called Smoking Drags Co. and the lures are the Threadybuster range. They are a soft vibe available in a number of independent tackle stores locally and most of the way up the QLD coast. more info here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Smoking-Drags-Co/166326066713830?ref=ts

Archived