Who uses Pike!

Gcarj

Been hard at work trying soft plastics and are catching a heap of pike. What I want to know is who actually puts them to use?

post-8723-144598663568_thumb.jpg

post-8723-144598663578_thumb.jpg

post-8723-144598663587_thumb.jpg

I was cleaning a few to give to my inlaws to try

post-8723-144598663598_thumb.jpg

But I have perfected the technique so much for these fish that I can catch 10-15 in 2 hours before work each session no problem at all.

So back to the question who uses them? Berley? Ganged? Eat? Crabs Pots? Throw back?

Cheers

Glenn

I was convinced to try them for dinner after a late night jetty session

--- An old Italian fellow explained to me that 'aussies won't try them because they're a bit oily ' but assured me that they taste great ---- they did taste good filleted and skinned and eaten fresh and definitely better than not bringing anything home at all. I wouldn't freeze them though [except for bait].

Have also had success with them as crab bait and often use them as a cut bait. as a livie I make sure to keep their jaws shut and try to handle them as little as possible.

give 'em a go.

When I was a kid growing up in Cooktown, pike used to be THE bait for the big Spaniards.Just send them out live. The smaller pike worked well for the smaller macks too. Was a great cut bait for Jacks or a live bait directly below the jetty for Barra or Trevally. Often fried a couple of fillets up for breakfast if the larger fish weren't playing too.

absolutely,! swear by them and so does my mate!!

best bait if free bait!!

cut them in half on the angle! with the heaad chuck a 7 8 0r 9 O through the bottom lip, then tuck the hook back on itself through the back so youve got good hook exposure, making sure you get it the right way, emagining a fish comming from behind it make sure it would get hooked!

with the tails cuck the hook all the way through the tail and do the same, then half hitch the tail,

always fished them in less than 10M of water with no other tackle on the line!! ie free weighted!

thanks for posting!!! i too have a very reliable pike spot and i have been dying to see how they cook up (i know bait anglers adore them for livies)

ive read mixed reports but i'll decide myself as i love oily fish!!!!

cheers for posting !

sweresy

your pike spot is it a land base spot or boat

thanks for posting!!! i too have a very reliable pike spot and i have been dying to see how they cook up (i know bait anglers adore them for livies)

cheers for posting !

sweresy

My inlaws really like them, i think they just shallow fry them maybe with some garlic and seem to be happy for me to keep the supply coming. Thanks for the reply

cheers for posting !

sweresy

your pike spot is it a land base spot or boat

I catch mine down at manly, they come on the bite just on dawn without fail. The bigger ones generally strike when there is just the first bit of light

They make a bit of smell in the kitchen when being fried but taste alright. Guy I met at Manly said to make fish cakes out of them. Still, yellowtail pike is 100000 times better eating than the shortfin pike from NSW. Those seriously stink.

I've caught heaps from both Manly marina and Wynnum jetty. You can get them at Wynnum at low tide in the middle of the day! These days I try to avoid them as they destroy soft plastics, jig heads and fingers. I lost my favourite mod YoZuri Shrimp Hunter to a monster pike last winter (things were never quite the same after that :( )

The last time we were out at Harrys, the sounder was almost solid black with pike. Must have been thousands of them under the boat. They were hitting our sinkers and cutting the line.

I would classify them as "used to be fun until they got expensive". :lol:

They make a bit of smell in the kitchen when being fried but taste alright. Guy I met at Manly said to make fish cakes out of them. Still, yellowtail pike is 100000 times better eating than the shortfin pike from NSW. Those seriously stink.

I've caught heaps from both Manly marina and Wynnum jetty. You can get them at Wynnum at low tide in the middle of the day! These days I try to avoid them as they destroy soft plastics, jig heads and fingers. I lost my favourite mod YoZuri Shrimp Hunter to a monster pike last winter (things were never quite the same after that :( )

The last time we were out at Harrys, the sounder was almost solid black with pike. Must have been thousands of them under the boat. They were hitting our sinkers and cutting the line.

I would classify them as "used to be fun until they got expensive". :lol:

I certainly agree they can rip your tackle to pieces. A bit hard to fish lite when they are around!

Archived