AFO at North Pine dam

Feral

Thanks for clarifing that for me. I called it for a silver when I caught it but Loz said \"na Bass\". I figured he knew better. Hey Lozz :P :P :P

Caught it on G Vibe - same sort that Jordan was using and same as what Aaronuses but for the white under belly.

Did you hear that Troy - Jordan used a G Vibe.:P

BUT Troy has a good point - the hooks on the latest GVibes I bought are absolutely crap. I doubt they will hold anything over 35cm. And the price went up to $6.99 each.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/06/18 17:25

This is why I called it for a BASS, as I showed Brian.It was the dorsel fin that gave it away.

Find a Fish

Australian Bass

Macquaria novemaculeata Steindachner, 1866

Note the distinct spiny and soft-rayed dorsal fins.

The Australian Bass has dark scale margins and pale belly.

The Australian Bass has a distinctly forked caudal fin. View larger image. The Australian Bass can be recognised by a combination of characters including an evenly arched dorsal profile, a snout that is straight or slightly concave and a forked caudal fin. It has a protruding lower jaw, moderately large eyes and a notch between the spiny first dorsal fin and the soft-rayed second dorsal fin.

The Australian Bass eats fishes, crustaceans and other invertebrates such as insects. It grows to 60cm (3.8kg) in length, but fishes of 35cm (1kg) are more commonly seen.

Thats why I called it a bass, I may be wrong thou.

Like I say I figured Loz knew better. I'm not arguing with that. ;) The reason I called it for a silver was it has a different shaped head and mouth. I could not get my thumb into it's mouth like I normaly do with the bass.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/06/23 00:02

They're not that dissimilar in taste to eel-tail catties.

But Feral, surely you're joking about Yellowbelly - one of the best eating fish IMHO. Would gladly trade just about any saltwater fish for them. You just need to make sure the fatline is removed before cooking. Only better eating fish is Murray cod.

ellicat wrote:

OK I have a problem - For sure it had the dorsal fins like the bass but it had the head and mouth of the silver. Loz held up the fins and pointed out the 2 different formations. But like I say the head was absolutely like the silver. Would/Could it be a freak?

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/06/23 00:10

I don't think so mate.

The silver has two distinct sections too.

Comparing your first pic I think the dorsal looks more Silver Perch like. The small scales are also a bit of an indicator.

I don't think cross-breeding is possible as they're different species.:(

Archived