Warning: Gladstone fish off the menu and central Q

scuba-steve

A MAJOR public heath scare has emerged in Gladstone, with the State Government announcing it will close up to 500sq km of the central Queensland coast to fishing and warning that seafood should not be handled or eaten.

Barramundi, blue salmon, whiting and fingermark bream have been found with sores, rashes and infected eyes, some possibly blind.

It follows the death of more than 100 turtles since the start of the year near Gladstone and fears that fish are being impacted by pollution and the release of acid sulphate from major dredging and coastal works in and around the highly industrialised city.

Gladstone Fish Market owner Ted Whittingham said it was a disgrace the Government had been so slow to act, when fishermen had been warning about problems since October.

Problems had increased over the past four weeks, with about 30 per cent of the catch infected.

"We've been asking for action for six months," Mr Whittingham said. "In the end, the fishing fraternity gave the Government 24 hours to say whether these fish were fit for consumption, and that's how we got to this situation.

RELATED COVERAGE

Coal carrier: Ship's grounding ignites gas fears

'Disaster': Dead dugong washes up on beach

"We've even had crabbers getting sores on their arms from pulling pots out of the water."

A Fisheries Queensland spokesman said the department first received reports of fish with milky eyes in early August. Fisheries put a process in place to pay for the transport of fish.

"The first samples only arrived in the past fortnight and have since been undergoing testing," he said. "We expect to start receiving results next week."

Mr Whittingham said ill fish did not go to retail sale as far as he knew.

Economic Development Department director-general Ian Fletcher said yesterday Gladstone Harbour would be closed to fishing to protect public health while the situation was assessed.

Safe Food Production Queensland principal policy officer David Wilkinson said the closure would ensure fish potentially unsuitable for consumption would not enter the food chain.

Queensland Health acting chief health officer Michael Cleary said seafood that showed signs of damage, deterioration or disease should not be handled or eaten.

"Anyone who has concerns about their health which might be attributed to the handling or consumption of seafood from the local area should seek medical advice," Dr Cleary said.

Since May, the Gladstone Ports Corporation has dredged about 700,000 cubic metres of a proposed 25 million-cubic-metre project over three years.

It says there is no link between its work and the fish and that they have previously conducted far bigger dredging programs without any health issues.

Greens spokeswoman Libby Connors said she saw black sludge being dredged out of the harbour in July.

"The sea bed mud was so black it looked like coal dust had settled in that part of the harbour and was being stirred up by the process," Dr Connors said.

Multiple factors could be involved, she said, from the increase in fresh water after the January floods through to mangrove and vegetation clearing on Curtis Island as well as increased dredging for port expansions.

Dr Connors said Federal Environment Minister Tony Burke had to reject the fourth liquefied natural gas plant for the region.

An Environment Department spokesman said it was premature to speculate on reasons for the problem.

The department's chief scientist Col Limpus last week put the high numbers of turtle deaths down to the loss of seagrass meadows after two big wet seasons.

This also has occurred in Moreton Bay and particularly in the Cairns to Townsville region.

Fisheries Minister Craig Wallace said the port was working with the Environment Department to ensure all conditions of the dredging project were met.

Independent water quality tests had found no impact from dredging which would affect fish.

My question is when is the goverment going to make this anouncment to the public if they havn't realised we are right in the middle of the school hoildays and people spend big money traveling to these place to go fishing,crabbing and the like.GO THE SEE CAPTAIN BLIGH GOVERMENT HAS DROPED THE BALL AGAIN.NOT F/ING HAPPY as I'm going to that area at the end of the month

NOT F/ING HAPPY as I'm going to that area at the end of the month

I leave Monday morning and I am not happy either couldn't cancel my holiday because have already agreed to transport some furnature and other stuff for family members. Its going to be hard being there and not able to fish. Packed some gear anyway just incase something changes or maybe we will have to do a day trip away from Tannum or stop some where on the way home. Any way I should get to spend some quallity time away with the kids without thinking what the tide is doing or how soon I can get fishing.

NOT F/ING HAPPY as I'm going to that area at the end of the month

I leave Monday morning and I am not happy either couldn't cancel my holiday because have already agreed to transport some furnature and other stuff for family members. Its going to be hard being there and not able to fish. Packed some gear anyway just incase something changes or maybe we will have to do a day trip away from Tannum or stop some where on the way home. Any way I should get to spend some quallity time away with the kids without thinking what the tide is doing or how soon I can get fishing.

Hey mate from what the guy from tackle world was saying it a closure for 21 days But if you have access to good size boat that will alow you to get out side you can still fish outside

Taken from todays 26 Sep 2011 Fishing World Email newsletter

Parasite blamed for Gladstone fish kill

TESTING of dead barramundi from a fish kill in Queensland's Gladstone Harbour has revealed the identity of a disease affecting the fish, but not the cause.

As Fisho reported last week the harbour's pollution is believed to have been caused by dredging works releasing contaminants in to the waterway.

On ABC radio over the weekend, management involved in the construction of a liquefied natural gas plant in Gladstone Harbour refuted claims dredging was responsible for the widespread contaminants plume which has indefinitely closed fishing in the harbour.

Red-spot disease and another parasite have been identified as affecting the tested fish from around Gladstone Harbour.

The Gladstone Observer reports Fisheries Queensland has said red-spot disease was endemic and seen in Queensland waters occasionally.

"In Queensland, red-spot disease usually occurs either during winter months when the immunity of the fish is lower, or following the first heavy rainfall of the wet season," said Dr John Robertson of Fisheries Queensland.

"It is typically caused by a fungus and often occurs in fish when they are under stress."

He said there was still no clear answer as to what was causing the current outbreak of red-spot disease. The separate parasite remains unexplained.

Testing is being done on new samples of other fish species, pawns and mud crabs.

Those results are not expected for several weeks.

The Observer also reports that 15 people have displayed side effects caused by contact with diseased fish.

My question is when is the goverment going to make this anouncment to the public if they havn't realised we are right in the middle of the school hoildays and people spend big money traveling to these place to go fishing,crabbing and the like.GO THE SEE CAPTAIN BLIGH GOVERMENT HAS DROPED THE BALL AGAIN.NOT F/ING HAPPY as I'm going to that area at the end of the month
mate your coin is nothing compared to the LNG coin being spent up there, Big mining companies come first, everyone else including the einvrionment comes second as usual.

Taken from todays Fishing Worlds Email Newsletter

Panel to oversee Gladstone fish kill investigation

28 Sep 2011

QUEENSLAND Fisheries Minister Craig Wallace has announced the State Government is establishing a scientific panel to oversee the investigation into fish deaths in Gladstone.

Wallace said the expert panel would provide independent scientific and health advice to the State Government while the fishing closure is in place.

"While initial test results were received on Friday last week, we understand there are some concerns in the community, and that's why I am establishing this panel," Wallace said.

"Preliminary testing identified two conditions in some barramundi, red-spot disease and a parasite, and experts are continuing their investigations into these conditions, including testing other species.

"While these investigations continue, the panel of experts will provide independent advice and support on issues such as water quality and human health concerns surrounding the affected fish.

"The group will also examine whether there is a need for additional testing of water quality or other ecological parameters."

Despite calls from the Greens, the State Government has refused to stop dredging in Gladstone. The Courier Mail reports Greens environment spokeswoman Larissa Waters called for a dredging ban, saying it was wrong that a major environmental crisis was occurring while 46 million cubic metres of dredging works for the liquefied natural gas industry continued unabated.

The scientific panel will be chaired by Australian Institute of Marine Science Chief Executive Officer, Dr Ian Poiner and will include independent experts in the areas of water health, seafood safety, fish pathology and ecotoxins, as well as a representative from Fisheries Queensland.

Archived