So what's the trick at colleges crossing?

AlsHilux

G'day,

I went out and checked out kooka park and colleges crossing today for the first time (after realising they're only 20 minutes from my house). Armed with my new baitcaster set up (thanks ray! you're a champ!) and a pack of grubtail minnow gulps and couldn't even get a bite. No luck with the net either. Zip, zilch, bugger all!

How do you fish at colleges crossing? I couldn't get a single cast where I wasn't retrieving half a kilo of weeds . I've just been starting to try out SP's and must say so far I'm not having much luck.

Both look like pretty good spots. I like the little area under the road bridge at colleges, that looked like it might hold some hope or back up the other way around in the weedy bay-like area.

Any way, I know a lot of people on here seem to consistently catch good fish in this area.. So any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Yeap thats coz the water level is so down at the moment.

I would leave colleges to the gar fishermen until we get a lot more rain and head to Kooka park mate.

Just my opinion. But based on some of the reports of all the bream at Kooka at the moment, and still some big things busting people off. This would be your best option.

Angus

mate i have never done good at colleges because i think the water runs too fast but if you go 5 mins up the road to mt corsby weir i have caught a few bass on lures but havnt been there in a while and also you have to fish 200 metres away from the wall but it worth a shot good luck

I was trying to locate mt crosby weir last night in my internet research but couldn't figure out exactly where it was? Do I just keep following college rd outbound?

I only found colleges crossing by accident actually, heading the wrong way down mt crosby road going home from kooka.

Cheers, for the heads up though I'm keen to investigate this area more. I'll be back out there again tomorrow with a pack of frozen prawns as back up.

Hey dude..

Depending where your coming from... Mt Crosby road leads to the weir, either (a)coming from brisbane turn off moggill road onto Mt crosby road,up and down the hills, follow it all the way around the eastbank water treatment plant, keep driving till ya get to the first stop sign on mt crosby road, turn right and you'll get to the weir bridge,or (B) coming from ipswich go mt crosby road over colleges crossing keep following all the wat till ya get to mt crosby post office/general store and keep going straight down onto weir bridge.

Years ago we used to get good Bass there, especially after the 98 floods when all the wivenhoe refugees were in the river... Its pretty dead now with the extremely low water levels, only tilapia and catfish living in the water with so low oxygen... however it used to be an extremely productive fishery.

If you have a canoe, put in at colleges, power thorugh the \"wwashing machine\" (small section of flowing river behind the spit, so called coz if you get sucked into it at an opposing tide you travel the 50 or so metres of it in a few seconds it moves that fast!) get yourself upstream and fish all the snags on the allawah side of the allawah bend.. 3-4m deep, rocky bottom and lotsa snags, some big bream and bass used to be caught in there (remember however closed season on bass currently active)

Colleges is good for gar, mullet, eel tails and sharks in summer, but dont waste your time unless you really want to catch little baby bream and baitfish!

Kooky and the water between , ie johnsons rocks, venus pool etc are all productive, if ya are landbased then you can get to johnsons rock and venus pools from karalee, just like taylors nook (inner bend at kookaburra) is also accessible from the road in karalee.

If ya need any more help or any street names or anything dont hesitate to give me a holler!

Ben

AlsHilux wrote:

G'day,

I went out and checked out kooka park and colleges crossing today for the first time (after realising they're only 20 minutes from my house). Armed with my new baitcaster set up (thanks ray! you're a champ!) and a pack of grubtail minnow gulps and couldn't even get a bite. No luck with the net either. Zip, zilch, bugger all!

How do you fish at colleges crossing? I couldn't get a single cast where I wasn't retrieving half a kilo of weeds . I've just been starting to try out SP's and must say so far I'm not having much luck.

Both look like pretty good spots. I like the little area under the road bridge at colleges, that looked like it might hold some hope or back up the other way around in the weedy bay-like area.

Any way, I know a lot of people on here seem to consistently catch good fish in this area.. So any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Were you under the bridge at around 3pm today? I was paddling around for the first time in my new yak there today

Ben, you're a bloody legend mate.. i'd give you 2 karma's for that if they'd let me.

You just saved me a lot of time which would have been wasted trying to navigate colleges on foot targeting fish that weren't there. So I guess that means I'll be starting at Kooka and then if that goes badly I'll try and catch my first tilapia at the weir and do my bit for pest removal!

Liquor box, I left colleges crossing about quarter to 3, didn't see any yakkers out? Might see you tomorrow if you're paddling around kooka, i'll be the cold and wet looking dude in the green jacket (doesn't really help does it?)

Archived