mid afternoon Bremer bush bash bass bonanza

T Fisher

Went down to my No2 spot about 2.30 this avo for a few flicks. did no good at my usual spots so I decided to do a bit of bush bashing through those thistles again. Made my way to where I picked one up yesterday. First cast and I was on but my joy didn't last long and I dropped it I had another 4 or five fish hooked up but dropped them all before I finally landed my first for the day. He was a healthy fish at 44cm to the tip.

post-7578-144598708258_thumb.jpg

Had a heap more casts kept dropping fish left right and center I tried a few different lures and it kept happening on all of them. They were hitting strangely the lure would just stop as if caught on a snag then when I lifted the rod they would go bananas and take off a short time into the fight they would throw the lure. I even changed the hooks on the little mullet lure that was having the most hits but it kept happening. I changed lures again and managed to land another one just over 40cm.

post-7578-144598708266_thumb.jpg

The same hit and miss was also happening to this lure as well but it managed to hang onto a couple more for me.

post-7578-144598708272_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598708279_thumb.jpg

Here is a couple of pictures of the sand stone ledges and snags from around the area that the bass were hanging around.

post-7578-144598708284_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598708292_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598708298_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598708305_thumb.jpg

Had more hits and misses and bumps in this spot than I can recall. I recon I had another 20 fish hooked that I dropped as well as many bumps from prospective customers. I found on this trip that if I had a fish on and dropped it early in the fight I would stop winding ley the lure pause for a bit then start to wind and it would get hit again. I am wondering were the hooks not set correctly because of the fishes first contact with the lure not being as agressive as I am used to. Anway headed back to spot no 2 and managed to pull one out before heading home.(more to come)

post-7578-14459870831_thumb.jpg

He came from under this snag

post-7578-144598708318_thumb.jpg

I am going to head back there ASAP as I am sure there are plenty of fish waiting to see my ugly mug next time. I just have to work out how to hook them more positivally so I land more also some of them felt like real lumps of fish I also tried playing around with the drag but it seemed to make no difference.One of the best but also strangest bass sessions i have had yet hope they hit a bit more agressivly next time.Also I didn't lose any lures amongst those snags mostly used a very slow retrieve with floating lures if i hit something I would just pause let it float a bit then wind again. Maybe the slower than usual retrieve was hindering the hookups.Also tried spinnerbaits but had no hits at all on them.

No keen as down the other way a bit. But I would love to get the canoe in and go up that way again but as you know its a bit of a struggel getting it in and out and the grass has grown over that mat we used as a path down last time. Might have to find a strong deckie and use my weed eater to help get her in. I would like to buy a yak and put it in there one day but who knows how long away that will be.

Nice stuff mate wat about using spinnerbaits with more exposed hooks might get a few more

spinnerbaits didn't even get a touch I have a king spin with stinger hook didn't get touched although at my other spot while the water was up they were getting hooked very good in the rapids on spinnerbaits but the flow has eased a lot and bass are no longer there.

Archived