Shrimp for Somerset event

Aaron H

Ok guys I think I have found a good wholesaler for freshwater shrimp and crayfish. They are asking $25 per 100 shrimp and $30 per 100 redclaw (although not sure of the legalities on using redclaw for bait at Somerset will research it) and they are the size that the pet stores sell for bait. I'll call them tommoroow to find out if there is a maximum order just looking to see who is interested so I can get a rough idea of numbers

Karma to you.

Redclaw are already present in somerset I will be in it for some of both. I would take 100 of each. That is very good pricing compared with $6 for 10 at the pet stores. I think that steve wilkes pays $30 per 100 fro his shrimp. Does the wholesaler have a mininium order/ I reckon i can store 200 of each in my 2 tanks and would like to have a permanent stock on standby.

Ray

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2007/07/08 19:48

They are alive mate.

Ray, will make a call tommorrow, if u are confident of keeping them alive might get a couple of lots over a couple of weeks.(Also wouldnt mind some tips on keeping them alive for a while)

Post edited by: Aaron H, at: 2007/07/08 20:55

THere was a few breeder tanks at recycleland a couple of weeks ago that wernt selling and they had reduced the price down to $3 each. THey are about 2ft 6 by 2ft square and around 15 inched deep. They are painted on 3 sides but would be ideal for shrimp ypu would just have to put a sheet of ply or something on top to stop them jumping out.

I will have a look and see it they are still there on Thursday when they reopen.

I reguraly keep shrimp for a month.

Ray

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2007/07/08 20:16

Well done Aaron, I'll have some please. After chatting today I was thinking that seeing they are such a good price maybe we could add say $5 or $10 per hundred and give it over as a site donation.

Or another way would be to establish an on line AFO market with a weekly delivery and profits go to AFO.

Just a thought.:) Sorry your post beat my thinking.

Excellent!

I'll be in it for a hundred as well, I've also got a storage tank in my shed (currently with 30 or so undersize shrimp I've had in it for about 3 weeks, and room for plenty more!). If you want to stage the purchase over two weeks, I am sure Ray and I will take the first lot!

Its easy enough to keep shrimp alive for up to a month, just with a standard tank filter/aerator, a bit of gravel in the bottom, and some fresh water weed. Over the month they tend to starve to death unless you have worked out something to feed them. (currently putting tropical fish pellets in, which are disappearing, so hopefully they are eating them!)

We kept 200 alive in just an old 2 foot long esky ib 6 inches of water with an aerator, for a week on the last lenthalls trip, its not hard.

Site donation per order sounds good as well.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/07/09 06:58

I've kept shrimp for long periods. They are sensitive to water temperature and oxygen levels.

Keep the temp between 18 and 24 degrees and use an aerator to turn the water over and they should live fine. Also remove any dead ones quickly as the dead ones sour the water before they can be consumed by the survivors.

Throw a bit of floating weed in to give them a bit of cover as the males (with big nippers) do fight each other.

Food - just about anything, but don't put too much in to sour the water before they've time to consume.

Also, as Ray said you'll need a cover or you'll walk in one morning to dead shrimp all over the floor!:blush:

Alright an update guys the whole process involves ringing on a Tuesday as that is when they do the ponds, he cannot give an answer on numbers until then, they deliver Thursdays to Brisbane and there is a $3 delivery fee to Brisbane (better than driving to Tarome), and he is the fella that supplies Steve his shrimp so size should be ok. I reckon the best process would be to order in batches over the next couple of weeks what do u guys think? (Don't want to leave it until the week before the trip and find out they couldn't get any that week)

I can take them anytime. Are we going to get them delivered to one central point or just order a couple of hundred to each person?

Also payment details I can do a bank transfer anytime to whoever.

Be aware that Steve says he gets first prioroty so if he wants a lot or supply is short we will miss out..

Does he deliver personally or use oxygenated containers and couriers.? I am ready to take a shipment of 400 this week if you wish to try it out.

Ray

Just been talking with Ray Aaron, get what you can, between Ray and I we can tank quite a few.

I reckon we tell him we can soak up any extras he normally has as well in his normal weeks supply, if we get excess stock we can have a AFO day to use em up!

Righto Ray and Feral will see how many he has tomorrow, I want to get 100 for myself for this Saturday I have a 4hp Yamaha outboard I have to test run and I could end up at Somerset for a prefish yet;) . I have your mobile number Andrew will give u a call when he gives me shrimp numbers. As Ray said I think Steve gets priority and he was telling me on Sunday he has a group of thirty this weekend. But if we gradually get them when we can it is better than going and paying 60-80c in a petstore.

Sounds like a good score 100 shrimp for $25 !!;)

Please remember if you guy's are planning on holding on to the shrimp for along period of time say a few weeks or more, Please provide them with adequate space as most shrimp will turn cannibalistic in confined conditions......

I will be going to recycleland tomorrow after picking up the shrimp. I think that they still had about 4 of the tanks there last Sunday if anyone wants one I can pick it up for them.They measure 600 wide 900 long and 320 deep are painted on 3 sides and are $3 each.

Ray

Cheers Ray that was good to see.

Ill still certainly be in for 1 hunjee for somerset thanks Aaron. Pick up wise. Hmmm. Ill have to work that out....

I might be able to set up a tank downstairs. It would actually be good as id have a source of shrimp for my toga as well if i had a second tank set up.

Angus

Hey if U guy's get stuck for tanks use plastic tubs the ones on castor's that are for storage under ya bed. Cheap as chips from some of the crazy stores.(There a couple feet long, 1ft and a half wide and 8 inches tall)..Shrimp don't need very high tanks so the 8 inch tall option is a good one and also cuts down on water wasting....

They work really well and most breeders use them for breeding their shrimp...

Archived