LPG Conversion - Worth it and Where?

blairv

Hi All,

As much as I love my Rodeo it is killing me on the Petrol costs :-(

So I am looking at a conversion to LPG. It is a 2004 Dual Cab so looking at the Donut tank probably.

Has anyone done a similar conversion on their 4x4? Was it worth it and what are the pros and cons?

Thanks

Blair

my v8 landrover is on gas love it drove all the way back from inskip point to ipswich on about 40 bucks gas .and i tow my boat from ipswich to gold coast and back 20bucks gas petrol costs me about 60bucks for the same trip lose bugger all power on gas payed its self of in about 2 years cant go wrong mate its great

I had a mitsubishi van on gas. Power was down a little but nothing to fret about. I did have to refuel more often, milage was ok but you need quite a big tank compared to petrol. I was getting approx 250km per tank of gas compared to 400km petrol, so just something to consider if you go places where it is a long distance between servos. Also if you do go away abit in your truck not all servos sell pump lpg. Duel fuel would be the way to go, also running straight gas tends to dry the valves up or something. I was told to run a tank of gas and then use petrol for a bit. Might pay to ask a mechanics thoughts on engine longetivity.

I hope this is of some help, I feel I have rambled long enough about something I dont know alot about. :huh:

I had a mitsubishi van on gas. Power was down a little but nothing to fret about. I did have to refuel more often, milage was ok but you need quite a big tank compared to petrol. I was getting approx 250km per tank of gas compared to 400km petrol, so just something to consider if you go places where it is a long distance between servos. Also if you do go away abit in your truck not all servos sell pump lpg. Duel fuel would be the way to go, also running straight gas tends to dry the valves up or something. I was told to run a tank of gas and then use petrol for a bit. Might pay to ask a mechanics thoughts on engine longetivity.

I hope this is of some help, I feel I have rambled long enough about something I dont know alot about. :huh:

Green Machine - thanks that is great. I will keep mine dual as I do go away a bit. I want to run LPG around the city mainly as the Rodeo sucks gas like crazy. Less I send on Gas for the truck the more I have for the boat :-)

i got my 100 series done it does make your motor run hotter so run strait coolant only in the radiator to keep temp dow and use caltex gas it is cleaner than others and has higher octane for better mileage.

got it done at nundah car clinic dood behind couter very helpful its not cheap but with high fuel cost and rebate its worth the change and i get the same mileage and power as fuel

Hey, i work for a small business that does LPG conversions/ mechanic work. I got a Ford territory on LPG/petrol. Before i had the conversion done i was paying $80.00 a week on fuel, and now with the LPG installed i'm only paying $35.00 on LPG max a week.

LPG burnes alot cleaner than petrol. I notices every time i drain the oil its very clean.

heres the link anyways if you wanna check it out.
/>http://www.carbandgas.com.au/

I had my Toyota 80 series on gas 16L per 100ks on petrol and 22L per 100ks on gas so it worked out cheaper than the diesel patrol I replaced it with, did notice a slight power drop but a 4.5l fuel injected twin cam had heaps of go so was not a problem. But as said you will run a touch hotter so if the ute has a alloy head make sure do the maintenance I did a valve in the 80 but still towed the camper home at 110kph, should have kept that 4b

Hey, i work for a small business that does LPG conversions/ mechanic work. I got a Ford territory on LPG/petrol. Before i had the conversion done i was paying $80.00 a week on fuel, and now with the LPG installed i'm only paying $35.00 on LPG max a week.

LPG burnes alot cleaner than petrol. I notices every time i drain the oil its very clean.

heres the link anyways if you wanna check it out.
/>http://www.carbandgas.com.au/

Thanks for this cookie- you are not far from where I live so I may popin and say hi - any ideas on the likely cost? It have a 2003 RA Rodeo so I would imahine it will be the Donut tank

Thanks

Blair

Fist thing check that your motor is lpg compatible if you have to install harder valves that can add a lot to the conversion price.

Ensure that you install a upper cylinder lubricant injector.

The guy that did my hilux didnt and I ended up with recessed valves. $1600 to repair after only 80k on gas.

I am currently having 3rd head job done. 2nd one due to radiator hose and last one due to dodgy job by mechanic.

I have 2.7l hilux auto and normally 16l per 100k towing on gas against 12 to 13l on petrol

No difference in power at all.

Spoke to a few cabbies before converting and they all seem to recommend shell gas woolies is imported from singapore and supposidly lower octane but I was not able to verify.

If the heads are ok go for it.

The guy that did my first head was Autoart at Capalaba seemed honest and capable.( only reason I didnt go back to him this time was that he shut down over break)

Guy who did second head is in Noosaville I wouldnt recommend him to worst enemy.

Currently being worked on at TCB autos at victoria point seems to be honest but very busy.

Cheers

Ray

Blair - I'm on a/l atm be back to work next Monday, but i will be in Thursday 10-11am. If you ask for Scott (owner), he will tell you everything you need to know. Correct you will get the donut tank, but if you wanted a bigger tank, i think you can get the normal cylinder shape tank and wack it onto the tray.

51MPL - http://www.carbandgas.com.au/GovernmentGrant/tabid/61/Default.aspx <<<<<<<< Check it out, Government grant $2000 cash back. You will pay around $4000.00 out of pocket, for the system and installation . Then you fill the form for the grant.

You won't regret it, if you guys do decide to get it done.

I'm lucky i stumbled upon this Blair, i was getting over paying $1 for 4km's in the rodeo atm. So $4k then $2k cashback and i won't have to buy another car to tow with :)

Are you single or dual cab rodeo blair? can they mount the lpg tank under the tray or where do you think they would mount it?

I'm lucky i stumbled upon this Blair, i was getting over paying $1 for 4km's in the rodeo atm. So $4k then $2k cashback and i won't have to buy another car to tow with :)

Are you single or dual cab rodeo blair? can they mount the lpg tank under the tray or where do you think they would mount it?

Hey 51MPL - mine is a dual cab so will go for the donut tank I am guessing. I am of the same mindset - otherwise was look ing at buying another vehicle but if I can do the dual fuel then happy days.

Archived