Help fishing the bay.

dhess

Tried fishing the bay a few times since getting the boat with very little success. We fish with both live and dead baits.

Have caught a few under size snapper and bream and lots of colourful little reef fish.

We always seem to do better in the rivers and estuaries.

Tried curtin artificial reef, mud, tangalooma and four beacons. Four beacons was funny, we had about ten live yakkas stolen by dolphins in the space of about 15 minutes.

Haven't seen any surface action in the bay or anything.

I have heard that mud can produce good snapper but they are usually caught on plastics. Is there much truth to this?

Trying to figure out if:

A) Bay fishing sucks in winter.

B) We suck at fishing.

C) We have just been unlucky.

D) All of the above.

We will take anyone out on the boat who can teach us how to successfully fish the bay.

Mate my mud sources are based on converstaions with Danny from Brisbane Bay Tours, and from the Brisbane Sports Fishing Club newsletter. There are certainly some good snapper to be had at mud, some that you can easily call knobbies. As you said, these fish are most often caught on plastics. But thats what is publicised, im sure that guys must score them on baits as well. My favourite is whole medium sized squid.

I think the bay has good fishing. You just need to learn it, know it, and a little luck thrown in never helps.

Angus

dhess wrote:

Tried fishing the bay a few times since getting the boat with very little success. We fish with both live and dead baits.

We always seem to do better in the rivers and estuaries.

Estuaries,at certian times, are usualy more productive for a couple of reasons. They have a restricted area, more structure, better tidal flow and a good bait food chain. The open bay is a diferent approach. I liken it to the difference between a sqash court that is closed off and a tenis court with open sides. You are allways chasing the ball on the tennis court.

Haven't seen any surface action in the bay or anything.

At curtian times of the year there is heaps of action, we are just in a cross over period. But if you think Moreton Bay i sgoing to be like GT fishinf up north as seen on TV - sorry but very rarley.

I have heard that mud can produce good snapper but they are usually caught on plastics. Is there much truth to this?

Trying to figure out if:

A) Bay fishing sucks in winter.

B) We suck at fishing.

C) We have just been unlucky.

D) All of the above.

[i]E) None of the above. It does take time to figure the bay out, not that I have got it sorted. In 3 years I have only figured the areas around Couchi, Macleay to Peel and back. It's a huge bay.

We will take anyone out on the boat who can teach us how to successfully fish the bay.

Are you doing the flatty trip - you will learn a lot on that day.

You don't mention timing? After 9.00am in the bay thi stime of year is very hard work. Anything of legal size 9.00am to 4.30pm is a good catch. Try the 4.30- 7.30 shift.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/07/19 17:16

berley, berley ,berley ,

Make some berley bombs frozen (or buy them) weight it with a fair amont of lead enough to make it sink fast ;) attach it to a clip ring (the ones used by mountain climbers etc) or a big split ring then a second small rope to the ring /hook for retrival or replacement

Clip this to your anchour line and let it slide down to your anchour line putting your berly bomb in front of boat but floating the berley in line with your boat were you intend to fish ;)

I've used this method in places where the current flows fast and it works ;)

Gaz [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/hm_snap_hook_AFO.jpg

post-536-144598421485_thumb.jpg

Wow thanks for the quality replies!

Will definitely try berley bombs.

We have tried the early morning sessions too, but only undersized fish.

Curtain was alright but the tidal flow was very fast so a lot of lead was needed. Lot of action on the sounder but only undersized snapper and little reef fish. Its a nice looking spot though.

If the weather is not offshoreable will definitely join in on the flattie mission on the 5th.

Left over bait (pillies prawns etc) tuna oil ,any old fish frames cut em up or mince them (an old food processor works well) and chook pellets

Mix it all up basically anything fishy ;)

The bigger marg containers are great to freeze your brew in ;)

I've posted this before but for those that missed it :)

Get 1 length 100 mil or bigger pvc pipe cut to the length you want.

get 1 screw on lid and one cap end to suit pretty cheap at bunnings or plumbing stores

drill lots of 8 mm holes in the tube

Glue the ends on , fasten a rope

put prefferably 1 big lump of lead to sink it

Then when your out there unscrew the lid and place your frozen bombs in

attach it as in the above thread to your anchour and away you go

check and refill as needed :)

hope that helps

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...

DOH :pinch: another thing if you are using chook pellets and tuna oil (good cheap berley) and no fish frames aswell dont through it out leave it in the berley bomb till next time the pellets will dry with no odour but still have oil in them and once in the water again away they go :woohoo: it pays to give it a shake every now and again to get it moving

Gaz

ps I have a 20 lt drum with a lid and store pre soaked pellets in that ;)

Archived