New to surf fishing. is this rod fine for my first

jhedrick

Hey guys, I have never gone surf/beach fishing before and would really like to take it up. I have done pretty much every other type of fishing. I have a link below to a rod and reel combo will this be okay for a first rod? I dont want anything too expensive but just need something to get me into it.

/>http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OSPREY-BIG-SURF-COMBO-3-9MTR-ROD-AND-7000-SIZE-REEL-/260726322101?pt=AU_FishingRods&hash=item3cb47ff3b5

If anyone has any tips on how to beach fish or what sort of rigs/baits i should use can you please help me? I am a complete noob to this style of fishing

Hey, mate....

Thought I'd give you my 2 cents worth:)

As far as beach fishing is concerned, any rod, will work.... just has to be long enough to get over and past the white water in close... As you know your looking to either gutters, (the main highways....usually running parallel to the beach)....holes or eddies..... ( smaller bodies of deep water).... and the use of rips,(for extra distance, from the cast/ and to aid in getting past sandbanks, into deeper eddies behind)...Personally, I find these are three main essentials... I'll look for when on the beach.....

When looking for gutters, you're looking for darker, smoother water....generally finding these between the first sand bank..... the white water at your feet, and a second sand bank....(The second wave break further out)... It's not uncommon to find multiple sandbanks either.... Ideally you'll find it's a good idea, to target one with an entry and exit channel into and out of, as predatory fish like to ambush their prey from the white water into the gutter, or cruise along it's length, with the onus on having the exit back out, as they themselves may need an

escape route if eyed by something bigger...

Also wind, current, size of swell, will effect your choice of tackle... Like any type of fishing keep it as light as poss... But remembering, you'll need to get distance into the cast so ensure it's capable of handling the strain... A longer leader will reduce the tension put onto the mainline and swivel, from the cast... approx a meter or so, depending on the length of the rod.... the longer the leader the better it will present itself in current...

The majority of beach fisherman/woman, use the running sinker, set-up, works really well, unless wind and tide are strong... and sweeping your gear straight back onto the beach, this can get very, very, very.... frustrating:(...

You'll find many will "CALL IT"... If this is the case, you've got a couple of options, change rigs to a paternoster with a grapnel sinker.... Or follow the sweep up or down the beach until it gets caught in a rip, the rip will take you further out, and more often than not....Into an eddy behind the second or third sand banks, where bait and predatory fish may have schooled, feeding on any food sources being washed out

to sea...

Hope this helps a little mate... Feel free to ask anything else, if you need any more of my useless tips...

Good luck, I'm sure there are alot of guys that will share their thoughts/ techniques.....:)

Vic

Here is where you'll find the cast is the

There is a combo that is a wilson rod with an alvey thats pretty good for the money, i think its around the 100-150$ bracket.

13ft6inch rod with a 600c reel, holds a heap of line and ive seen some 1.5m long sharks come in using it with 30lb mono.

Spin reels in the surf are asking for trouble imo unles you are really careful with them.

Vic,

That is a awesome bit of info, i have just got myself a surf rod but i have never been surf fishing before

Your welcome Gaz,

If you've never been surf casting, get some practice in as "TAILOR SEASON" is just around the corner....

grab your gear find a rugby or soccer field and hiff the living bejesus out if it, until you get the technique, distance, and weight sorted for your rod...

Like anything "The harder you train, the easier the game"

Tight and bent

Vic

Vic, the information that you gave me was amazing. I have been talking to a lot of people about this but didnt get the type of detail you went into. Thank you very much for that mate. I am thinking about getting a Alvey reel as apparently these last for life unlike the egg beaters once they get in a bit of salt water. I am thinking this pay day I might have to go out and buy myself something that is a little bit more expensive and will last me longer.

I really appreciate the tips guys, fantastic help.

Cheers

Jordan

If you are just dipping your toe in to see if you like surf fishing just walk into kmart and grab a cheap jarvis walker combo like a 12ft redbone or similar for $50. It will have a limited life but will let you get the feel for the type of fishing. Grab a spool of 6kg mono and replace the 25lb that is probably on it if you want a bit more distance in your casts.

Love my alveys but spinners will work, you just need to look after them a lot more. For a flying start have a look at surf fishing then the tailor, dart and bream sections.

Around surfers there are whiting, bream, tailor, dart and flathead at times. If you know how to pull beach worms you can chase all of the above bar tailor with them. Tailor can show up in numbers down there from around June onwards.

Hi again,

If you're familiar with the use of an alvey, it is definitely a worthwhile investment... The simplicity of the running gear, and sturdiness will last a lifetime... You can drown it, bury it, heck it's even strong enough to knock stuff out and still come out smiling...

A little food for thought though.... With an alvey, you....."WILL",.... have to regulate your own drag, when onto a fish strong enough to peel line... Get yourself a glove, or plasters for the index finger being used to spool the line back onto the reel... Otherwise, you're surf casting experience is going to be an unpleasant encounter.... Once you've got a line cut, the only thing you can count on is that every time you cast, strike, retrieve, that cut is going to get bigger, bolder, and badword, badword, badword....(S.F.U!!!!)

A few other things you might want to add to your gear if interested...

Rod holder... Like any style of fishing, there are sessions where, the fish may have gone to visit the neighbours and are out for a couple of hours... The strain and weight of the line and rod, can become a little tiresome, especially when nothings biting...

Also good to have when, re-rigging, or re-baiting you're gear, even though an alvey can handle it, I personally think it a good idea to keep everything off the sand...less mess, less stress...

Nail clipper, just tie it around your neck don't leave it in your tackle box..... when re-rigging, it makes life alot easier and quicker than hunting for a knife or pair of scissors...There will be times where, you'll have to change your set-up, either through targeting different species or upgrading to heavier tackle....

There you go guys a few more useless bits of info....

Vic

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I've been looking around and found a few rigs at the tackle warehouse in coorparoo. They are 13ft rod with a 650b alvey reel not sure if i should wait till i come back from mexico in june to buy it or buy it now and have less money to spend in mexico. May have to go fishing in mexico then come back and buy the combo. The guys at tackle warehouse are a really good help too, BCF they tend to always be busy or not around to help.

Cheers for all the tips guys, i cant wait

Archived