Rod racks on a air bag car

waldo

Help a neanderthal out. Finally entered the 21st century and have had to buy a vehicle with air bags, apparently all the rage these days :dry: Thats all well and good but where do I stick the rod holders now? Was going to tranfer my old bullbar but cant because air bag trigger wont work any more.

Convert a nudge bar? Make a custom roof rack? what do other surf fishoes do in these goddamn new fangled machines :woohoo:

What kind of car you getting, still a lot of new 4wd's that can have bars on 'em

Also you can get these suction cap style rod holders that stick to your bonnet for the same effect

/>http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Cargo-Mate-Suction-Cup-Rod-Holder.aspx?pid=189662#Description

here are a bunch on ebay as well

/>http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=car+rod+holders

I have seent eh suction cap ones. I'm sure they work fine, but I just don't trust them. has anybody used them?

If you don't want to fork out for a compatible bullbar I think roofracks are the way to go. I had both on my last 4x4 and preferred the rods going on the roof, instead of having them bouncing up and down infront of me

I have seent eh suction cap ones. I'm sure they work fine, but I just don't trust them. has anybody used them?

If you don't want to fork out for a compatible bullbar I think roofracks are the way to go. I had both on my last 4x4 and preferred the rods going on the roof, instead of having them bouncing up and down infront of me

I've had and have been using a set of suction cup ones for about 15 years. I always tie the rods off to the front bumper area with some cord I put through the runners and tied off at the butt just in case they come adrift (Yep I don't trust them 100% either). They have never let me down although on one occasion the front one came unstuck due to user error but nothing bad happened as the rear was fine and the front of the rod/s were tied off.

I agree with Woody1, Gad. Roof racks are the go. Those rubbery seat things you get to put on the bench seat in your tinny so save your butt make a decent bit of padding for the Alveys to rest on the roof. A bit of Valcro and you're away. If you are not keen to stick Valcro on the roof you could possibly tie it down.

Another idea is to get a piece of magnetic sheet (like they use for door signs on cars etc)

Just finalising a new Suzuki GV today. These air bags are proving to be a real pain. Can't even put on standard car seat covers but looks like old towbar and ball might be ok.... maybe. :huh:

A few problems with trying to find a compatible bullbar, (sosayeth overlander) manufacturers won't guarantee airbags will deploy correctly with aftermarket gear, and the suzuki nudge bar is useless as is and is going to require some conversion to even be usable. Also I have a bank of 3 and a bank of 4 rod holders currently which are often all used when I beach fish. As a nice copper told my wife some time back when he warned her, you are only allowed a maximum of 4 rods and they must be on the passenger side only.

The suction/magnetic ones look interesting but again legality might be questionable with the numbers of rods I often carry.

Sooooooo I am leaning toward looking for a rooftop option to keep the rod numbers up. Without looking too hard previously I hadn't found anything worthwhile and now I am looking harder there's still not much on offer. I'm considering making a possible custom bodgey :whistle: I hate change :sick:

I used the suction cap ones on a road trip to Longreach and back a few years ago. Worked fine, but I never had the reels attached like you could with rod racks. Depends what you want to do with them - on the beach or just to transport the rods. Also you are limited to 2 rods with the suction cap ones.

My style of fishing when I am on the beach is drive till I see fish or a gutter worth casting into. First time you rig up, have 1 to 5 casts if just prospecting and move on if no bites. This might happen mutiple times and the rods are put back each time into the holders still rigged with reels on. Needing to take the reels off would really take the fun out of it.

hey waldo my wife copped a fine a few years back for having the rod holders on the bull bar of her vitara , obviously they had nothing better to do pulling her over with a 3 & 1 year old in the car the kids were bawling their eyes out thinking mum is going to be taken away , i still reckon they could of just given her a warning like they did yours ,the cops reckened that because they were not in use they were a hazzard to pedestrians if in an accident.i don't chance it now and always remove them after use.

cheers shubeej

hey waldo my wife copped a fine a few years back for having the rod holders on the bull bar of her vitara , obviously they had nothing better to do pulling her over with a 3 & 1 year old in the car the kids were bawling their eyes out thinking mum is going to be taken away , i still reckon they could of just given her a warning like they did yours ,the cops reckened that because they were not in use they were a hazzard to pedestrians if in an accident.i don't chance it now and always remove them after use.

cheers shubeej

yep, that`s the law, so they were only doing their job

Archived