Qld election bloodbath

At the last count Labour only appear to have won 7 seats, LNP 78 with the mad Katter winning 2 with 2 seats going to independents.

Apparently the Labour party need 10 seats to remain an official party :unsure:

/>http://virtualtallyroom.ecq.qld.gov.au/elections/state/State2012/results/summary.html#14

Har Har,

Even the greens are beating labor up your way Carter!!!

Actually what I found amazing so far in this election is not the dominance of LNP (I was ecpecting that) but the number of seats where KAP is coming second over ALP!

I would not discount KAP in future elections if they come up with some more generalised policies that are QLD wide. I have heard a few people compare them to (and suggest they are taking from) One Nation voters. But I think they have done a lot better!

Angus

I think they will be as busy as they want to be, to a point - not as if what they say will be heard. :S

It was definitely an ALP loss I think shortie. Even Anna's speech reflected they don't get it. She rattled off some of her/their proud achievements. I looked at the TV, shook my head and said "that's why you're gone you idiot" :pinch:

Just over a year to go (max) to see if the federal politicians get it.

5:08pm: Sky News exit polls show what voters were most concerned about:

ALP supporters

- cost of living 61%

- delivery of state services 58%

- carbon tax 40%

- mining tax 34%

- Newman's business dealings 32%

LNP supporters

- cost of living 71%

- delivery of state services 67%

- carbon tax 51%

- mining tax 38%

- Newman's business dealings 6%

even though they won by a ridiculous amount of votes , it should put ol' Campbell's ear on full alert on what the people want. He needs to do what he can and not talk about what they think they could do and never acheive.

They vote reflects the majority of what people think , it can't be any worse so go for a change !

He needs to realise he wasn't voted in because people like him or his party personally ;)

He needs to realise he wasn't voted in because people like him or his party personally ;)

I beg to differ. The LNP have not only taken votes from Labor but also from independents and from KAP (eg Beaudesert) so it is a move towards LNP on a whole as well as a Labor loss. People voted for him and also his LNP party - the figures don't lie

:woohoo: :woohoo:

I beg to differ. The LNP have not only taken votes from Labor but also from independents and from KAP (eg Beaudesert) so it is a move towards LNP on a whole as well as a Labor loss. People voted for him and also his LNP party - the figures don't lie

most of that was due to the rubbish that went on in canberra and katters stupid dancing .

There should be a clause where if the election promises are not kept then you dont pay any tax until it is fixed . I know if someone said "yeah i'll paint your house" and did a poor job with 18 different colors , i wouldn't be paying them for it till it was fixed

With the lack of decent policies implemented throughout the last term, labour surely expected to get fisted in this election>

On the upside, they can save money carpooling to work.

put the whole party in one tarago

plenty of them available in the burbs that voted for them

I think you would find that many traditional,blue collar and low income labor supporters have had enough of being continuously kicked, and being hit with continueing high costs of living expenses, by the so far out of touch of the grassroots supporter,'Workers Party' that they have said enough is enough!

Add that to your swinging voter,plus a large number of 'it`s cool to be green' ex voters, they have said we don`t want Labor,and the voters do not want any chance of minorities having numbers in the parliament

As far as the "independents go,McLindon and Messenger were both originally voted in as LNP candidates, and both have been tossed out for the local LNP candidate.

I read somewhere (not sure how true it is) to meet official party status you need 10% of primary vote and 3 seats, or if you dont get 10% of primary vote, 10 seats?

Means we may have LNP and ALP only. KAP would need 1 more seat.

Will be interesting to see future elections, and if ALP can recover or if TAP will grow and take over ALP as opposition.

In six months time we will see bumper stickers saying Don't blame me I didn't vote for the Wanker!! on every Ute/Truck in Qld

6 months time we will see if can do can do and "Dont u worry about that!! Have anyone bothered to check out the share prices of Can do,s other business interest 15 in all, he has fingers in the pie

In six months time we will see bumper stickers saying Don't blame me I didn't vote for the Wanker!! on every Ute/Truck in Qld

6 months time we will see if can do can do and "Dont u worry about that!! Have anyone bothered to check out the share prices of Can do,s other business interest 15 in all, he has fingers in the pie

I'm pretty sure those stickers will just be the ones that they have had on for a while already.

I think you will find that he has (had) an interest in about a dozen companies. They would be private companies, not listed companies and therefore no 'share price'. As an accountant I can assure you it is not unusual for business people to have more than one company. ...and NO, it is not for tax purposes. Companies are a dog of a structure for tax.

Personally, I'm expecting the LNP to make a few mistakes in governing over the next twelve months. They have been out of government for a long time and there are a lot of inexperienced and first-timer members. Even the federal ALP had this problem after Howard lost in 07. Hopefully the LNP wont still look and act like they are still in opposition 4 years on like the incompetents in Canberra do.

I think you will find that he has (had) an interest in about a dozen companies. They would be private companies, not listed companies and therefore no 'share price'. As an accountant I can assure you it is not unusual for business people to have more than one company. ...and NO, it is not for tax purposes. Companies are a dig of a structure for tax.

Elli is right regarding the business holdings. It's not usual for a business man (or woman) to have interests in multiple entities. Fifteen isn't really that many entities, and it is certainly NOT unusual.

If anyone is concerned about the shares (in any public coy) - go buy shares in that company. That way if they go up, yours go up too. Win-win. Just remember, if everyone is interested in the shares, the price would go up up. So get buying early! haha.

I don't personally see what the big fuss is with his business interests. It's not like Campbell Newman is the first to have any! The only difference for Campbell Newman is that he and his family got dragged through the ringer by an ALP mob, who had nothing in the election campaign other than 'don't vote for him because of this' or 'we know you aren't going to vote for us, but please limit the amount of seats to LNP'.

As for corporate structure, Elli is right in that it is normal for people to set up multiple entities for their business dealings. You will usually find they might hold the shares of a holding company. The holding company will typically do nothing more then hold shares ('investments') in an operational company (or companies) which does the revenue generating activities and asset holding. You will find if they have multiple business interests; lets say a car store and a fishing store; they will be set up in different companies. Some people run each store in a different company. Some go further to have an asset holding company, and an operational one; eg, Coy #1 holds the warehouse asset, Coy #2 manufactures stuff out of the warehouse and pays Coy #1 rent.

Why do they do this?

It's less about tax, and more about limiting liability. For an example, while your car store and fishing stores are operating fine, generating profits and paying the debts there aren't too many issues. It's the moment something goes wrong that you have an issue. Example:

#1. Your car store and fishing store are in the same business. Your car store starts making losses and can't repay its debts. Liquidators come in and sell your car and fishing store assets to recover debts. You're left with nothing.

#2. Your car stores and fishing stores are in separate companies. Like the first, your car store starts making losses and can't repay its debts. Liquidators come in and sell your car store assets to try and recover debts. Because the companies are separate legal entities, they can't come after you as director/owner or your fishing store. You're left with a fishing store business.

Personally, I expect to see a few changes being made in the aftermath of this election.

I think it is extremely ambitious to expect a mistake-free term. As elli pointed out, they haven't been in power for a long time. Hopefully the public cuts them some slack and doesn't attack them too much for it.

I would much rather a politician with many interests in businesses than some dropkick who has no idea how to run a business. If we are going to lynch any politician who steps up to the plate to become one in the first plate we have to realise the ordeal they have to go through to become one in the first place.

I would want successful leaders to become politicians to successfully lead the City/State/Country. To do this obviously a successful leader is going to be involved in businesses, so they are going to have to give up all the involvements/shares/investments they have, generally take a huge paycut to become a politician, get their whole life dragged before the media and now it seems have your family and even extended family dragged through the media.

It is no wonder we will soon be left with dropkicks who have only worked at McDonalds running for Parliament and all the decent leaders won't bother as it won't be worth the hassle and poor pay.

i'd like to see thier personal holdings linked to the government when they come into power so if they do a good job and the state runs in surplus they make a profit, if they do a bad job and run the state into deficit thier personal fortune goes with it

I would much rather a politician with many interests in businesses than some dropkick who has no idea how to run a business. If we are going to lynch any politician who steps up to the plate to become one in the first plate we have to realise the ordeal they have to go through to become one in the first place.

I would want successful leaders to become politicians to successfully lead the City/State/Country. To do this obviously a successful leader is going to be involved in businesses, so they are going to have to give up all the involvements/shares/investments they have, generally take a huge paycut to become a politician, get their whole life dragged before the media and now it seems have your family and even extended family dragged through the media.

It is no wonder we will soon be left with dropkicks who have only worked at McDonalds running for Parliament and all the decent leaders won't bother as it won't be worth the hassle and poor pay.

Fair go Johnny. There will always be someone available who has worked for Slater and Gordon as well as Maccas :whistle: :P :dry:

Chisholm defends Labor's attacks on Newman

Updated March 26, 2012 13:26:25

Labor state secretary Anthony Chisholm has defended the party's Queensland election campaign strategy of personally attacking Liberal National Party (LNP) leader Campbell Newman.

Labor looks set to hold just seven seats in the new Queensland Parliament.

The party still has to find an Opposition Leader, as well as a new candidate for former premier Anna Bligh's seat of South Brisbane.

Many former Labor MPs have criticised the party's campaign for being too negative.

But speaking to ABC Radio's The World Today program, Mr Chisholm says the attacks worked up until the Crime and Misconduct Commission (CMC) found no evidence against Mr Newman.

"The day after the federal leadership ballot in our own research, the swing against us was 16 per cent," he said.

"By going hard and targeting Campbell Newman we managed to get the swing down to 10 per cent.

"You've got to remember in this the pressure that Mr Newman was under forced him to change tack.

"Mr Newman had to completely change his campaign tactics."......

This idiot just still doesn`t get it, they ended up with a swing against them of 17% Duh, smart one ,dumb one.

Thats what I pointed out Gad, they never seemed to want to win, just reduce the damage.

There is a lot of rebuilding needed for ALP, and I suspect it may be a little while before they get back in power. Depending on how Katter's mob goes, they probably have a higher chance at the moment.

Archived