Ads that pretend to be a window, the 'x' does not close it

Aggro101

Personally I have no problem with paid advertising on a website. Without revenue, wonderful sites like these would eventually close. However, deceptive ads that are clearly designed to trick a user into going to a website they did not want to, is mearly going to drive the users away, especially new users/visitors. I refer to the pop up ad that has appeared recently after logging on to this site. It is an obvious attempt to replicate a window with the well known 'x' at the top where you would normally close the window. I am sure most people have clicked it, not seeing the small and somewhat hidden x above it and been directed to another website they did not knowingly choose to open.

This is spam wrapped in trickery, plain and simple. I urge the owner/s of this site to enforce advertising rules preventing this type of deceptive advertising that open new pages under false pretence.

If I did not already know and trust this website and this ad appeared when I came here for the first time, I would have closed the website on which the ad appeared and never gone back.

I have seen this add as well.

The black "x" does close the window as I have done it several times. I agree the red "x" immitating a close window option is mis leading.

Ill have a chat to webby about this but google adds are fickle things. without them we do not exist. But being the size site we are we have in no way any leverage to write "Dear Mr Google, these are the only adds we want...".

In short... Do these adds ruin your day that much?

Angus

I have seen this add as well.

The black "x" does close the window as I have done it several times. I agree the red "x" immitating a close window option is mis leading.

Ill have a chat to webby about this but google adds are fickle things. without them we do not exist. But being the size site we are we have in no way any leverage to write "Dear Mr Google, these are the only adds we want...".

In short... Do these adds ruin your day that much?

Angus

Thanks for the response Angus. I agree that advertising revenue is very important to a site like this. You might however be surprised how much leverage you have over Google in this regard. Check advertising regulations with the Australian Advertising Regulator http://www.adstandards.com.au in respect to intentionally misleading sdvertisments which can also be classified as spam.

With respect to advertising complaints, the Advertising Standards Board must consider whether advertisements:

are truthful and honest,

are or are designed to be misleading or deceptive, and

mislead or deceive children

Does it ruin my day? Not really, but as I said, if I didn't already trust this site, I would have closed it and not come back as soon as that ad appeared. I don't generally trust sites with that type of ad as you never know what is going to end up on your PC (cookies, trackers, trojans etc).

Obviously it is up to you guys what if anything you do about it, but personally, I think it does not help the site and has the potential to cause the loss of new members.

Archived