Getting my boat back on the water after near 12 months.

dhess

To cut a long story short I haven't had my boat on the water for nearly a year. Mostly due to work commitments having two kids under 3 and renovating my house. I am sick of having to bum trips off others and its time I got back into it. Thanks to everyone who has taken me out over the past year. (Daveylad, Crazywalrus and Homer4duff)

Just wanting to make sure I haven't missed anything.

What I have done so far:

Checked wheel bearings.

New tyres.

General lube and check on trailer.

Rerego'd trailer

Road tested trailer

Two new marine batteries (the old ones were frigged from sitting too long and form old age)

Fitted new compliant port/starboard lamps (old ones not parrallel to centre line)

Replaced all fuel lines and primer bulb and filter assembly as they were 8 years old and had some surface cracking.

Removed fuel tank, drained and cleaned it as it has about 30L of 1 year old fuel in it.

Checked all electrics.

Checked safety gear. Replaced flares, fire extinguisher and EPIRB still current.

Checked bilge pump.

Lubed all grease nipples.

Rerego'd boat and fitted new labels.

Waiting to get boat serviced.

Is there anything I have missed?

Would it be crazy to take the boat out after it has been sitting that long without a service. It has only done about 30 hours since last service?!?

The only other thing that is potentially dodgie is the anchor light. It is a 1.8m telescopic one that is easily the highest thing on the boat. The problem is I have it mounted on the straboard gunnel. It is nowhere near the centre line. (The law requires it to be mounted as near the centre line as possible.) Do you think I will be ok if I get pulled up?

Dom I think you should be ok with the anchor light as the law does state "if practical." That's straight from the Qld boat and recreational fishing guide. It just needs to be a minimum of 1m above the side lights.

Sounds like boat is in good shape now. Have u started motor yet after we did fuel lines?

Only thing to check by the sounds of it is radios, GPS, sounder working ok?

Sounds like you've cover all bases mate, with regards to the anchor light, mine is factory fitted on the right rear corner of the boat, so no where near the middle but is 1 metre high... the boat itself is a year old so i must have complied with the rules... you should have no dramas where your is fitted

Dom I think you should be ok with the anchor light as the law does state "if practical." That's straight from the Qld boat and recreational fishing guide. It just needs to be a minimum of 1m above the side lights.

Sounds like boat is in good shape now. Have u started motor yet after we did fuel lines?

Only thing to check by the sounds of it is radios, GPS, sounder working ok?

Let me know if you want ot test the radio I will turn mine on.

Sounds like you've cover all bases mate, with regards to the anchor light, mine is factory fitted on the right rear corner of the boat, so no where near the middle but is 1 metre high... the boat itself is a year old so i must have complied with the rules... you should have no dramas where your is fitted

Mate just because it is new does not make it compliant. A Lot of boats straight off the lot are not compliant. Just reading the rules and mine is not compliant. Doh

Mate just because it is new does not make it compliant. A Lot of boats straight off the lot are not compliant. Just reading the rules and mine is not compliant. Doh

Well that's silly isn't it - so manufacturers can make & sell a new boat that is not compliant, kinda like selling a new car without brakes or headlights......

I wouldn't bother with a service but I would go through the engine and do several things.

Pull the plugs and check for rust,clean or replace of necessary.

Clean inline fuel filter under the cowl.

Pump fresh fuel into the carbs and let sit for an hour to dissolve any old gummy oil and then remove drain screws from the bottom of each carby and drain out any gunk in there.

Pump fuel through while you have the drain screws out to help clean out any gunk and then put the screws back in.

Put your muffs on and fire her up while keeping a very close eye on the tell tail to make sure the impeller is still ok.

Go fishing and be happy. :P

Will call you for a radio test today Ted but from my understanding using VHF radios on land is not exactly legal.

Haven't started the motor yet as the fuel tank is bone dry after cleaning it.

Thanks for the checklist Lance.

Will have a go today. Hopefully I don't break anything as I have never worked on outboards apart from replacing a few bits and pieces like relays and sensors.

You have forgotten to allocate deckies :P

As usual I will put my hand up :)

In saying that with the exception of a couple of long weekends coming up I am as time poor as they come presently.

Looking forward to seeing a renewal of Dhess reports.

Angus

You will be ok Dhess,they are very simple little jobs and nothing complicated at all.

When you pull the plugs wash them in petrol to remove any gunk from around the electrode and hit them with a wire brush to clean them up and rinse them again in petrol and screw them back in.

If you have a wire wheel on a grinder do them on that as they will clean up like brand new.

DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THEM WHEN YOU PUT THEM BACK IN,JUST DO THEM UP TILL THEY ARE TIGHT.

Look under each carby and you will see a single screw,that is the drain screw.

Remove it and pump your fuel line bulb to push fuel through and let it drain out those holes and refit the screws.

You will see the little fuel filter attached to the motor probably on the Port side.

Generally they come apart and you can remove and wash the little filter basket out.

I do mine under the tap and then rinse them off in petrol and refit them.

I normally pump fuel through before i refit them to make sure the line is clear and pumping fine.

Your only main issue could be the impeller so take special notice of it when you start the motor.

Impellers go brittle when not being used for any period of time and can throw a tyne/blade very easily when you start the motor.

If you have a good strong water flow you will be fine but if it spits and dribbles you will need to replace the impeller,another easy job which we can guide you through if need be.

There is no specialized tools at all unless you get into the things like pulling the fly wheel off or internally in the engine itself.

A standard plug spanner should fit your plugs and just normal screw drivers and spanners will fit everything else.

Same goes for doing the impeller, a screwdriver and 10mm or 12mm spanner will do an impeller change.

This will give you an idea on what you can save by doing your own partial service.

I will never do the tune up as it is not easy to sync 3 carbies like I have on my motor and it takes a lot of experience or a damn good ear to get it right.

Get it wrong and you will use more fuel than a proper tune up costs.

I have a 40hp 3 cyl Tohatsu and the full service cost is near $500.

That includes all parts including a new impeller and labour.

To do it myself the impeller and gaskets costs around $40

Gear Oil around $30

Plugs around $20

That is basically it in parts for a service unless you have inline fuel filters so a new element will add a few more bucks.

It takes me about 2 hours max to change and clean everything,grease all the linkages,clean the fuel system,remove and check and grease the prop ect.

They are all very simple and straight forward jobs.

Once you have all that done you then only need an engine tune up.

Tohatsu charge me $60 for a engine tune only.

That is my full service done for around $150 instead of near $500 and I know it has been done and done properly and definitely not done by an apprentice.

YOu see i disagree.

It needs a service.

Whats described above it a service.

But i certainly would chasnge the impeller. For the sake of a $40 part why not.

Gaskets and seals dry out after sitting around. IF you not confident i would pay the extra $$ for piece of mind.

When your offshore and you break down its a bit hard to call road side service.

'As near as practical to the centreline'

I would argue that it is as near as practical while taking into consideration the previous points about installing lights so they are not likely to be damaged by motors tilting, tow ropes, or casting.

After all it Is a light designed to shine through a 360 degree arc so position is not paramount.

In the end I had the boat serviced today as didn't want to doa half arsed job myself as a result of not being organised, rushing and not doing my homework. I will study up and do next service by myself.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Archived