Anzac Day Tuna Battle

PilbaraBrad

Hello

been a while since i have posted anything been getting stuck into a lot of fly fishing around Fraser Island of late, had a ball on ANZAC day battling large bait balls of longtails and mack tuna

Put together a series of photos to try and capture the moment of the day somewhat

Cheers

Brad

AnzacBattle3.jpg

Ready to leave Wathumba creek

AnzacBattle6.jpg

First baitball fist hookup

AnzacBattle1.jpg

The result

AnzacBattle5.jpg

Another baitball and another hookup

AnzacBattle7.jpg

The result

AnzacBattle2.jpg

Fly Caught Shark Fodder

that second photos is just amazing, be seriously interested in how you've photoshopped that?

Callum one way of doing that effect is photoshop is to convert the photo to black & white and then play with, red, blue, green settings and contrast settings, it will give you a similar effect to the pics posted

that second photos is just amazing, be seriously interested in how you've photoshopped that?

Callum one way of doing that effect is photoshop is to convert the photo to black & white and then play with, red, blue, green settings and contrast settings, it will give you a similar effect to the pics posted

Yeh rite... Done a lot of Photography but just never been apart of the editing side hence my limited editing knowledge but would like to get Into it!

hey guys

basic info on how i shot these pics

i shot middle of the day with a polariser and i underexposed the shots by 2 stops around f8 to f14 to really darken the dark colours more, speedlight was almost on full power to blow out the whites that were close to me.

when i edited them in CS4 i dropped all the saturation

then used dodge and burn tools predominately to play around with the shadows and mid tones

no changing of anything else, really wanted to try and achieve that almost battlefield sort of scene

camera was an Eos 50d, lens canon 10-22mm

i think i got it in those fighting shots, i like playing around with that stuff

That's mate, it's very clear that you put a lot of work into your reports and thoughts into your photography, which in turns make them a great read.

Theres a lot I and everyone else can learn from them mate especially as a 50d Would definately be in the affordable range of dslr's.

Just love those shots mate. Going to give it ago on Sunday if the rain stops and I can get my camera out!!

Thanks dude

Callum

Great report Brad, good to see they're still playing the game up there. Now if only they would do the same down here :(

Was that fly a Polarbean?

Norm

Gday Norm

if your talking about the fly hanging out of the shark fodder mate it was a home tied deciever, it is very well munted and destroyed in that pic mate from all the attention it got. most of the time our success came on really small surf candy's and clousers

Actually was looking at the head shot one above. Speaking of sharks, some blokes had a Longy to the boat last weekend (Mooloolaba Fly Comp), and just as one guy grabbed for the tail a big Mako decided he wanted it instead. I think the boat needed a bit of a wash afterwards :)

Actually was looking at the head shot one above. Speaking of sharks, some blokes had a Longy to the boat last weekend (Mooloolaba Fly Comp), and just as one guy grabbed for the tail a big Mako decided he wanted it instead. I think the boat needed a bit of a wash afterwards :)

Actually Norm you may be right, i will have a look at the origonal shot tonight, might actually be a munted flashy profile of stu's. we had a real issue with sharks on these bait balls and a similar story to the one you just told about the mako, except with a whaler. also had one whaler hit the leg so hard when it came in to hit a tuna that it knocked me over in the boat. some big furgles around those bait balls

Archived