Securing Boat W Trailer locks.....ANTI BOAT STEALING DEVICES

Homer4duff

Guys I've had to park the boat out the front of my place on the street and I've got a Tow ball coupling lock with padlock. Is this considered secure enough?

How hard would the boat be to steal with the lock in place? I've got good neighbours, so any noise will certainly draw attention. I've thought about a wheel clamp also but is it really worth it?

I've thought about a piece of chain through the wheels with padlock also.

Cheers

Homer

I had my work trailer flogged with a coulping lock they just unbolted the whole coupling replace it with one they with them it said not to weld but I just put a few tacks on my new one. To many low life's around these days you have to do everything you can to stop them good luck

Cheers Tim

Those things are pointless if you have a quick release towball, they can just remove the pin and put it in their car. You can buy a locking pin for them if you have one. If you are really worried, buy a wheel lock as well, nothing makes it impossible but it is just 1 more deterrent.

I once saw a guy at the boat ramp park his trailer, then get out, jack it up, and pull one of the wheels off and take it in the boat with him. Little bit of overkill if you ask me but... I bet nobody stole his trailer!

As Booty said make sure you read your insurance policy properly.

Every company has different regulations on what they deem as a proper locking system and if your boat or trailer is stolen they will do everything in their power to get out of paying up.

Most have a regulation on the grade of chain you can use,locking mechanism types and how or what the trailer must be locked to.

Some also stipulate it must be locked behind a fence when not in use so be careful with reading your policy.

The majority of locks available are also not insurance company approved so be careful buying them.

I have been selling quite a few of the wheel clamp lock which is insurance company approved and very few of the tow ball locks.

Have a look at the following link which is of the wheel clamp lock that makes up about 90% of my lock sales.

/>http://www.reeltackle.com.au/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=185&p=product&id=153479&parent=325&vendorid=3

Thanks for input everyone. Having a boat trailer with dual axles would I need 2 wheel clamps, for each axle? Otherwise they couls simply jack up trailer, remove the wheel and still drive off.

EDIT: I've just spoken to GIO and had it confirmed that the boat is insured and covered for theft outside my house on the street, however any contents aren't.

Heavy lifting chains are pretty good with the best lock you can afford from a locksmith, not bunnings. Most storebought padlocks just need a quick tap and they pop. Wont stop them, just slow them down. Serious ones will cut it quickly or just throw the boat on a tilt tray. 3 minutes and I reakon they would be out of there.

Heavy cables are great to secure any trailers as you cant cut them with bolt cutters.the thicker the better... you should be able to get one about 16mm in diameter fairly easily. Wire rope lifting slings are redily available from someone that works in an engineering workshop or the likes that has a spare one that has been condemed.

It may just have a couple of frays in the cable but still perfect for your application.

Good Luck

Just use the trailer lock you are using. If they are desperate enough to cut through that insurance will take care of it. Just make sure you are not underinsured.

Living in a near city, densely populated suburb surrounded by neighbours you know and get along with is probably the best protection you can get.

We have a few nosey, old bags on our street and they are great for keeping an eye on things.

Thieves do carry bolt cuters and cordless angle grinders around but an angle grinder makes such a stupid amount of noise they are very unlikely to attempt it at your place.

The lock E-fish-n-sea mentions sounds good but I like to have the trailer hitched locked on when I amdriving as I have seen some ones trailer pop off the ball on the road and it wasn't pretty.

Have you read and understood your insurance product disclosure statement yet? As an example, anyone insured with Suncorp needs to have their boat and trailer chained and padlocked to a fixed immovable object to comply. I said, but my boat is in a locked garage, under main roof of house and is alarmed. YOu guessed it, I had to chain it all to an eyebolt in the slab.

I'd be finding off street storage for it, some of the bigger fishing clubs offer storage facilities, a marina or some of the storage compounds will take boats no worries.

The cost of storage would likely be less than the depreciation on a boat that size anyway, cheap investment.

You could even try doing a letter drop up and down your street, might find yourself a pensioner that would be happy to let you keep it in their yard for a $50 a month plus the odd fish tossed in, as long as Wayne Swan doesn't know about it ;)

Have you read and understood your insurance product disclosure statement yet? As an example, anyone insured with Suncorp needs to have their boat and trailer chained and padlocked to a fixed immovable object to comply. I said, but my boat is in a locked garage, under main roof of house and is alarmed. YOu guessed it, I had to chain it all to an eyebolt in the slab.

Does Suncorp state a type of chain required?

• 3 weeks later...

i cant find where it states in the suncorp pds that a boat in a lockable shed needs a chain? if you have a link would help out as i am a suncorp customer.

Mate I went through the same thing with my camper trailer. To be honest the insurance company was not very helpful about what constituted secure enough. I had a look at all of the various wheel clamps but wasn't happy.

What I did in the end was went to a locksmith and got 1m of high tensile chain which I wrapped around the axle, out one of the holes in the rims and back into another. I bought a high tensile lock to put on it. If the trailer moves the chain wraps around the axle and will prevent it going any further. Main thing with that is that they cannot get enough leverage on it with a big enough set of bolt cutters to cut through the high tensile chain as chain has to be accessed from under the trailer to cut. I also have a hitch lock but that is more for if I go away and leave the trailer and the car somewhere unattended. It is too easy to get off to use as a stand alone security measure.

Sure if someone really wants it they will come with an oxy torch or grinder, but most of that type of theft seems to be opportunistic.

Good solution for me costing around $120.

Good luck

Andrew

Archived