crossing south passage

neal82

just had a quick look at willyweather for the weekend and wondering what the best times to cross the bar is? saturday the high tide is 730am and the low is about 130pm, sunday 8ish and 2ish, the swell looks nice and small so i was planning on checking with dad to see if he wanted to head outside for a while. i'm guessing it would be best to cross once it got light enough to see, and should i wait until after the tide is coming back in to return? or is it pretty safe to come back in with the water going out? they are pretty big lows of 0.4m both days and 1.9m highs.

Has your dad gone over this bar before local knoledge is essential for any bar, the tide is good to cross at dawn you just want to go over before it starts running out again by 0730 coming back in is no problem with this size swell for any part of the tide as you just sit on the back of a wave and follow it back in there is plenty of water even at low tide if your in the channel.

Im crossing the bar on first light around 6.10 am too head out to boat rock. Should be fine just watch the bar for while before crossing.If your around i might see you out there. Coming back should be okay. Like Mark said ride a wave in. Just watch out for Rufus king. Ot pops out on low tide.

Archived