Green Zones to the North -Vacuum Cleaners to the South

Gad

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tugger, The facts are this ship will have zero effect on the existing fleet.

It wont even fish the same waters.

It's produce is not fished for by any existing Aussie operator.

It's efforts will produce fish fit for human consumption and will not be turned into fish meal etc as is the case with the existing operators.

Facts count so much more than the understandable populist wrong opinion.

Just noticed this post when re reading the thread.

Brian, your arguement is based off FACT. It just has one major flaw, your forgetting about a large sector of the Australian fishing industry. The tuna fisherman. These guys DO fish the same waters as the trawler, FACT. These guys chase the pelagic fish that directly feed off the fish that the trawler will be taking away, FACT. So therefore will in some way have impact on part of our existing fleet. I rest my case.

• 2 weeks later...
Tugger, The facts are this ship will have zero effect on the existing fleet.

It wont even fish the same waters.

It's produce is not fished for by any existing Aussie operator.

It's efforts will produce fish fit for human consumption and will not be turned into fish meal etc as is the case with the existing operators.

Facts count so much more than the understandable populist wrong opinion.

Just noticed this post when re reading the thread.

Brian, your arguement is based off FACT. It just has one major flaw, your forgetting about a large sector of the Australian fishing industry. The tuna fisherman. These guys DO fish the same waters as the trawler, FACT. These guys chase the pelagic fish that directly feed off the fish that the trawler will be taking away, FACT. So therefore will in some way have impact on part of our existing fleet. I rest my case.

I have just caught up with this thread, hence the late reply... anyway just to add to Facts:

Australian Southern Bluefin Tuna Industry Association spokesman David Ellis said the local fishing industry supported the ship's arrival.

“This vessel is fishing on behalf of an Australian company; its going to be going out and fishing sustainably within fishery management plans,†Mr Ellis said.

“It's a new way of looking at how we can best meet the market demand of seafood - I think change is what confronts people. And many years ago, I'm talking quite a few years ago, the Tacoma came from Victoria to Port Lincoln to fish and at that stage everybody thought that was the end of the world as well.

Now that boat has taken part in the history of the town and played a pivotal role in opening up fisheries in areas which couldn't be exploited before. So obviously this is a positive direction.

Jarryd, Taking 4.7% of their food over potentially the whole offshore area from WA to NSW will not interrupt the tuna food supply anymore than the variance you would suffer between a Large Fries at one Maccas compared to a Large Fries at another Maccas. You're still gonna get fat ! lol

ABC news items and old Green opinion pieces Googled up from the net are not the kind of credible resource I would base my opinion on.

The vacuum cleaner term is just an emotive bit of spin wound up by green groups and unfortunately rec fishing groups to engender fear into the unwitting. Seeing as the net this super trawler uses is no bigger than those already in use in Australia and in some cases smaller and it does not come close to the sea floor, you would understand why it can be nothing but trickery.

Here's some info from Nigel Scullion...a very well qualified and genuine bloke putting the case with the facts I have previously given.

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWmwzX0t8rI&feature=BFa&list=FLyPQQ_DRHF5gP8b7EEYStKQ

A quality government response -
/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tU0X6eKPhg&feature=BFa&list=FLyPQQ_DRHF5gP8b7EEYStKQ

hansard_frag.pdf

The decision sucked in my opinion. It's over now though. Another win to the drama queens.

Archived