Green Zones to the North -Vacuum Cleaners to the South

Gad

Huge trawler to be based in Tasmania

Updated May 31, 2012 08:39:35

A huge Lithuanian super trawler will be based at Devonport in Tasmania's north and will fish for mackerel and red bait.

/>http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-30/huge-trawler-to-be-based-in-tasmania/4043076

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
but the info came from the abc, the green party and greenpeace, so there would also be the truth to soften their stories

and the spokesperson for Primary Industries implied all would be ok,now all we need is a politician to say it`s sustainable and everyone can live happily ever after :unsure:

What the hell is going on?

They want to rape Bass Straight, what's next?, the Coral Sea?, oh sorry I forgot that will be a Green Zone in the bat of an eyelid so no Aussies can make a living from it, but let these mongrels come & have their evil way in our waters, & as previously said 10 per cent is a bucket load & who knows what 100 per cent is anyway?

Zoob, It has been bought by an Australian enterprise; the Lithuanians just made the boat ;)

Sustainable fishing practices are required to meet demand. It's not a Green Idiot idea to lock up fisheries 100%.

As long as the practice and quotas are sustainable then it is a moderate position and I don't have an issue with it.

I don't do sensationalism until all facts are checked

Zoob, It has been bought by an Australian enterprise; the Lithuanians just made the boat ;)

Sustainable fishing practices are required to meet demand. It's not a Green Idiot idea to lock up fisheries 100%.

As long as the practice and quotas are sustainable then it is a moderate position and I don't have an issue with it.

I don't do sensationalism until all facts are checked

have you checked with Clive Palmer and the CIA

"The enviroment minister said the catch would be sustainable"

But I can't fish in parts of Morton Bay, why?

I'm not usually one for political debate (It brings out the stupid in people - and risks me losing respect for people ahaha) but this is just too much for me.

What a goddamn joke!

??? Don't know him.

But he mustn't fall to sensationalist over-reactions blowing questionable claims out of all proportion with made up "facts", and is someone who hasn't grown up in an environment sheltered from the realities of the world and life and an education system that teaches trendy opinion rather than hard proven truths, importing foreign tales and teaching them as something that occurs or is apparent in Australia..

Sure I'd love a chat :P

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen this trolling some news feeds-

/>http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/lifestyle/federal-government-allows-massive-super-trawler-to-fish-in-australian-waters/story-e6frf00i-1226387965265

lets hope it doesnt head too far north!!!!

• 1 month later...

Taken from Fishing World email newsletter 17 Jul 2012

ARFF asks Government to hold off super trawler

THE Australian Recreational Fishing Foundation (ARFF), the newly formed peak body representing Australia's 5 million recreational fishers has asked the federal Government for caution in approving applications for the 140 metre super trawler the FV Margiris to fish Australia's waters.

A statement released by the ARFF says Australia has the best fisheries management system in the world and a sustainable commercial and recreational fishery to be proud of. But the FV Margiris is the second largest super trawler of its kind in the world and it is unknown how its operations will affect the management system or the existing sustainable commercial and recreational fishery.

ARFF spokesperson, Allan Hansard, said:

"At an aggregate level the science tells us that the Margiris is likely to have minimal impact on total fish stocks. However, we are concerned about the potential of localised depletion of fish stocks and the resulting economic and social effects on local coastal communities. The science seems to be anything but definitive on this issue.

"If the Margiris positions itself off Coffs Harbour, Bermagui, Portland or St Helens and extracts large quantities of bait fish, what will be the environmental, economic and social impacts?

"What guarantees will we have that the marine food chain will not be affected?

"What will be the effects on the local communities that rely on recreational fishing?"

"We presently don't know the answers to these questions but it is essential to know them before any decision on the Margiris is made.

"Unfortunately the public debate on the Margiris is already filling with emotion and misinformation and the facts are getting lost. There is also a lack of leadership in establishing a proper 'facts based' process to make a decision on this national issue.

"ARFF calls on the Federal Minister for Fisheries to convene an urgent meeting with the fisheries management authority, appropriate scientists and key stakeholders to establish a factual basis and a process to decide whether the Margiris should be allowed to fish in Australian waters. Until this happens the Margiris should not be allowed to fish our waters."

The Australian Recreational Fishing Foundation (ARFF) is the newly formed national peak body representing Australia's Recreational Fishing Community and is supported by the Australian Fishing Trade Association (AFTA), Recfish Australia, Game Fishing Association Australia (GFAA), Sunfish Queensland, Amateur Fisherman's Association of the Northern Territory (AFANT), Recfishwest, Recreational Fishing Alliance of NSW (RFANSW) NSW, Underwater Skindivers and Fisherman's Association (USFA); and the Australian National Sportfishing Association (ANSA), Professional Fishing Instructors and Guides Association (PFIGA).

Taken from FW email newsletter

Thousands protest against super trawler

23 Jul 2012

A RALLY against the super trawler FV Margiris's imminent arrival in Australia has resulted in thousands of rec fishers protesting across Tasmania over the weekend.

As reported by ABC News, hundreds of cars towing boats packed into grounds near Elwick racecourse in Hobart's north. A convoy of vehicles and boats sporting signs reading "Stop the Margiris" then travelled along the Brooker Highway and across the Tasman bridge causing minor tarffic congestion.

Those attending the rally were protesting against Seafish Tasmania's plans to bring the 142-metre trawler to Australia and base it at Devonport. The FV Margiris plans to fish an 18,000 tonne quota of jack mackerel and red bait in Commonwealth waters, raising concerns that fish stocks will be seriously depleted as a result.

Launceston rally spokesman Mike Stevens said more than 150 boats took part in the northern rally, the ABC reports.

"If this doesn't spend a message to politicians that there's a huge concern by recreational fishermen in Tasmania, I don't know what will," Stevens said.

"All these boats that are here today are recreational fishers and they're concerned about what this will do to Tasmania's recreational fishery and the whole food chain."

More than 100 boats and 300 people turned out to the rally being held between Devonport and Burnie.

Organiser Jason Ivory says the interest shown across the state proves it is not just an issue for the north-west community, where the Margiris will be based.

In a statement, Seafish Tasmania director Gerry Geen says the company respects the rights of individuals and groups to conduct peaceful and legal protest.

Geen says the company is regularly consulting with recreational and game fishers regarding their concerns about local fish stock depletion.

See an ABC news report on the rally here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-21/boat-convoys-in-protest-against-super-trawler/4145810

• 2 weeks later...

taken from FW email newsletter 2-8-12

Environment Groups Get On Board Trawler Protest

02 Aug 2012

WHILE for the past two months the rec fishing sector has been voicing opposition to the federal Government's decision to allow the super trawler FV Margiris in to Australian waters, the silence on this issue from local conservation groups hadn't gone unnoticed. That situation finally changed this week when an alliance consisting of 14 environment groups came out to announce it had launched the "Stop the Super Trawler" campaign.

As as been previously reported by Fisho, the 142-metre long FV Margiris is due to arrive this month and be based in Devonport in Tasmania from where it will fish the east coast to fill an 18,000 tonne quota of jack (slimy) mackerel and redfish for export.

"This campaign has been launched to stop the introduction of the Margiris and other super trawlers in Australian waters after thousands of people have raised concerns," said Rebecca Hubbard, Environment Tasmania's Marine Coordinator. "So far the Federal Fisheries Minister Joe Ludwig's response to these concerns has been deafening silence."

Jon Bryan, spokesperson for the Tasmanian Conservation Trust, said that the Australian Fisheries Management Authority (AFMA) has failed to address crucial ecological issues.

"This super trawler increases the threat of localised depletions of target fish stocks. AFMA has failed to offer any effective strategies to address this critical issue, so our organisations had no choice but to elevate our campaign," Bryan said.

"Basic scientific information about the fish stocks is lacking, such as fish movements and how long it would take for populations to recover from overfishing. This super trawler could spell disaster for the fish they are targeting and others in the food chain."

"The Margiris poses an unacceptable threat to our marine wildlife, which are supposed to be protected under Australian law," said Ms. Tooni Mahto, Marine Campaigns Officer with the Australian Marine Conservation Society. "Devices designed to protect Australian fur seals and dolphins getting trapped in these huge nets could be operating as dead animal disposal devices - simply ejecting the animals after they have been killed."

International conservation group Greenpeace has confronted the FV Margiris twice this year in a campaign to stem the overfishing of African waters by foreign trawlers and to pressure the EU to cut its fleet overcapacity.

"At the recent Rio Summit the Australian Government committed to solving the global overfishing crisis that is being caused in part by massive ships like the Margiris catching too many fish," said Nathaniel Pelle, Greenpeace Oceans Campaigner. "Yet now we are undermining these efforts by welcoming this monster ship with open arms. Make no mistake, allowing the Magiris into Australia would create a precedent that Australian waters are open to exploitation by super trawlers."

The organisations involved in the Stop The Trawler campaign say they are working with recreational fishing groups on this issue.

mmmmm for the sake of your own standing beliefs, it`s always wise to take care with whom you align yourself,even for a one off cause'

Taken from FW email newsletter 6-8-12

Opposition to super trawler intensifies

06 Aug 2012

WITH the arrival of the super trawler FV Margiris into Australia imminent, the opposition to the vessel fishing in local waters has intensified.

In the latest news, Tasmanian Independent MP Andrew Wilkie has claimed the quota for the trawler is unlawful. The ABC reports that Wilkie has said the Australian Fisheries Management Authority (AFMA) has confirmed the head of Seafish Tasmania Gerry Geen should not have been at the meeting to finalise the super trawler's quota.

Wilkie says that means the authority did not comply with the law and the quota is invalid.

The head of AFMA, Dr James Findlay, is adamant there has been no conflict of interest and the quota is lawful.

"What I was concerned about is Mr Wilkie seemed to be taking an extreme view of the interpretation of the act, of this section of the act," Dr Findlay told the ABC.

"Mr Geen had nothing to do with the final decision and nothing to do with the open decision.

"I just don't understand why we've got this sort of criticism, about one small part of the process which I think was followed well."

Seafish Tasmania says Mr Geen declared a conflict of interest and the company has followed the AFMA rules.

The FV Margiris is currently in the Indian Ocean on its way to Devonport in Tasmania and Seafish expects the 142m long vessel to be fishing by the end of the month.

In related news, the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society has launched a fight against the super trawler. A spokesman for the group yesterday said the marine conservation activists would do anything they could to assist the coalition of fishing and environment groups opposing the trawler fishing in Australian waters.

He said the group was monitoring developments in the campaign against the massive vessel, expected to arrive in Devonport next month, the Mercury reports.

"It's a disaster waiting to happen, an environmental disaster at a time when the Australian Government is creating these marine parks and sanctuaries, to even be contemplating something like this which is going to be targeting the very species of fish that the critically endangered southern bluefin tuna eat," he said.

"We're getting behind all the other groups, we're uniting in trying to support them any way we can."

The spokesman said he was unsure if Sea Shepherd vessels would be involved in direct action against the Margiris.

Taken from FW email newsletter 9-8-12

Tuna industry spokesman supports super trawler

08 Aug 2012

THE head of a commercial tuna fishing industry group is backing the arrival of the super trawler FV Margiris into Australia's southern waters. In contrast, rec fishing groups, other commercial fishing interests and conservation groups are opposing the arrival this month of the 142m-long Dutch-owned vessel which will target local baitfish, including redbait and mackerel.

Southern Bluefin Tuna Association CEO Brian Jeffriess has told the ABC the Margiris could provide opportunities such as supplying feed to the tuna farming industry.

He said the operation would be tightly controlled under scientifically-set quotas.

"It's taking a big risk. Now people who take that type of risk should be welcomed rather than criticised," he said.

Jeffriess said it was unlikely the tuna industry would benefit in the short term from the trawler's arrival.

"The method of catching by this boat makes it doubtful whether it could be suitable for tuna feed so we're not so interested in that," he said.

"But what we're interested in is development of South Australian resources in the Great Australian Bight and frankly this is the best trial - experimental way - to show whether it can be best utilised or not."

Ceduna Mayor Allan Suter has other ideas about the prospect of the trawler's arrival.

He said the trawler's prospective catch would make a mockery of marine park plans outlined by federal and state governments.

"Bringing in a super, super vessel that has 40 crew and can catch thousands of tonnes of fish in a single trip ... that to me is the ultimate hypocrisy," he told the ABC.

"We are very disturbed about the level of restrictions that are being imposed on our fishers and to see something like this happen is unbelievably foolish."

As had been earlier reported, an alliance of conservation groups last week launched a petition calling for the FV Margiris to be banned from Australian waters. Details at: stopthetrawler.net

Greenpeace has also come out to say these super trawlers "are not normal fishing boats, but floating factories which have plundered other fisheries."

A Federal Government official has said marine parks and the trawler's planned operation in Australian waters are separate issues. She said Australia had some of the most sustainable and best-managed fisheries in the world, with strict Government regulations.

Excuse my ignorance, but can anybody tell me whether the tuna fishing association also represents the tuna farms? If so, couldn't their endorsement of this super-trawler be seen as more of a condemnation than support? If wild populations are unintentionally impacted, then doesn't it make sense that more people have to rely on the captive population?

I understand that the quota is the important number when looking at this situation, but I have to wonder about other factors:

What kind of by-catch is normal for these vessels?

What percentage of a particular school is picked up at a time?

If this vessel was not allowed in, how many Australian trawlers would be required and how many Australian jobs would that create?

Where is the catch being sold?

How much wealth is Australia going to see and how long will that wealth circulate in the economy as compared to replacing this 1 vessel with x number of Australian vessels?

As rec anglers, we all share the same resources and do not hesitate to dob somebody in for exploiting those resources. When it comes to commercial fishing I think we need to consider even more factors.

Excuse my ignorance, but can anybody tell me whether the tuna fishing association also represents the tuna farms?

I don't think so.

As to the rest, I agree with your point about the small boats. However I'm not sure that they would be targeting the same catch. I think I read that the catch is destined for O/S markets as well. Therefore the job displacement etc does not necessarily flow.

I see Greenpeace says that similar ships have plundered the seas of Europe. I wonder what the ships are doing now. Just rusting away at port I guess. Then again, maybe G/Pce might be overstating things a little. Who knows ? :huh:

I have said to others before that I have no concerns (so far) about this 'super trawler' coming into Australian waters and doing its thing.

I have said this because tihs may reduce the number of boats on the water, and at the end of the day all boats are limited to a quota - so to me it doesn't make much difference between 1 boat or 10 boats.

However, I have just seen this news article:

/>http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-10/greens-question-fish-quota/4191470?section=tas

Granted it's a green agenda article, but if true this is concerning. Whilst I don't have any problems with the boat itself, increasing quotas to meet the boats capacity is definitely cause for concern.

I guess the next question is on how true their 'scientific research' is. If that was valid and unbiased reports, then I don't have any concerns... However from the limited one sided view that news article has poised, it doesn't sound like a good thing :|

Taken from FW emailnewsletter 13-8-12

Super trawler: Greens reveal profits put before fishery

10 Aug 2012

THE Tasmanian Greens have released documents obtained under Freedom of Information showing that commercial considerations had apparently trumped a science-based approach in the decision to increase the catch limit for fish targeted in Australia by the FV Margiris.

The information was obtained following a Greens request for documents held by the Australian Fisheries Management Authority (AFMA) relating to information that was used to set the total allowable catch (TAC) for jack mackerel for 2012/13.

The documents show that a letter from SeaFish Tasmania dated 15 March 2012 was sent to AFMA requesting an increase in the jack mackerel Total Allowable Catch (TAC) to support the operation of the freezer trawler, shortly before AFMA decided to increase the TAC.

The request came amid concerns expressed by one member of the AFMA small pelagic fishery advisory group, who stated that:

"I therefore do not support the Tier 2 RBC increase (for Jack Mackerel) because of concerns about sustainability of stock."

A former member of the group was also compelled to write to AFMA to express his or her concerns, stating that the recommendation:

"... was arrived at in a way different to the other RBC recommendations following a proposal by a RAG member that a corporation of which he is part is planning to introduce a large trawler/freezer vessel into the SPF... and that this vessel would also undertake a one-off DEPM of an area of the SPF of his corporation's choosing."

Greens Primary Industries spokesperson Kim Booth MP said Federal Minister Ludwig must rule out the FV Margiris being granted a licence to operate, and called for an inquiry to be undertaken into the AFMA decision-making process.

"Only two weeks after Seafish Tasmania wrote to request an increase in the total allowable catch, the Australian Fisheries Management Authority decided that not having up to date science wasn't so much of a concern," Mr Booth said in a statement.

"What this seems to show is that AFMA was falling over itself to comply with the company's request, despite the concerns raised about the science underpinning a quota increase."

"SeaFish Tasmania is the company that will profit from the increase in the TAC of jack mackerel east, and the fact that the company's director sits on one of the advisory boards to AFMA only raises further questions about the process."

"It also raises questions about whether AFMA has prioritised commercial considerations over a sound science-based approach to the fishery."

"This information will only confirm in the minds of the concerned local fishing communities that there is something smelly about this super trawler operation."

"Minister Ludwig now has no choice but to refuse an operating licence for the Margiris, given that there is clear doubt over the science, disagreement within the advisory group and clear commercial pressure from a participant in the process," Mr Booth said.

AFMA documents obtained under Freedom of Information

/>http://mps.tas.greens.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/6July2012_FOI-Response-letter-with-Schedule-Document.pdf
/>http://mps.tas.greens.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/8June2012_KB-to-AFMA-FOI.pdf
/>http://mps.tas.greens.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/12.pdf
/>http://mps.tas.greens.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/13.pdf
/>http://mps.tas.greens.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/14.pdf
/>http://mps.tas.greens.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/14.pdf
/>http://mps.tas.greens.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/15.pdf
/>http://mps.tas.greens.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/16.pdf
/>http://mps.tas.greens.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/17.pdf
/>http://mps.tas.greens.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/18.pdf
/>http://mps.tas.greens.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/19.pdf
/>http://mps.tas.greens.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/20.pdf
/>http://mps.tas.greens.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/21.pdf
/>http://mps.tas.greens.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/22.pdf