Amazing Find in Brissy River!!

Plastic Fantastic

hey everybody! just wanted to share with you all an awesome find myself and fishing_cherry found tonight.

fishing_cherry and i were fishing approx 400m downstream of the Mt. Crosby wier around 7pm. no bites had us having a bit of an explore trying to spotlight lungfish and the like. anyways, we were walking along the bank when i spotted a large 55-65cm dead fish floating in the shallows amoungst some weed. we wanderred over thinking it was one hell of a big mullet but upon closer inspection we found it to be a relatively fresh dead BARRAMUNDI!!!!

now I know all you guys out there aint believe us at all but we took millions of pictures and we are just as amazed at this find as you probably are! cant believe it! at first we thought it to be a river perch thingo but the fish had large gill rakers just like a barra does. its eyes and gill n fins had been chewed down but it was still evident it was a barra!

we think it was either released as a fingerling from a bored aquariumist coz i dont think they occur naturally this far down?

anywho here are the photos! enjoy!

Admin Note: Please don't use Capitals in post title

Post edited by: webmaster, at: 2007/08/03 21:51

there was a report, how serious or not i dont know, but there was apparently some divers up at the noosa river , reckon that that saw a school of big barra, if so they would have to definatly be wild ones as for the one you found chances are it got flooded out of someones dam or something

Nastymind wrote:

Could be worth reporting to fisheries. This may be more important than you`d expect.

I don`t know for sure, but we should let the experts research it.

It may benefit the river in the long run.

NO don't do that, let's wait and see if more Barra appear first. Next thing you know they DNA test and find where the fish came from.

If there's someone out there helping mother nature lets leave em too it. If it's mother nature on her own then the authorities will only stuff it up.

If fisheries want to do something how about they stock the river with Jew, whitting, squire, flatties, bream, tailor, some kingies would be nice and maybe some spotties and threadies.

I know this - Barra like eating catfish.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/08/06 00:11

Feral wrote:

I have it on good authority that themidnight stocking group a couple of years put 100 barra fingerlings in to the Brissy River

Yep, a few years a go a wise old journo in the know told me the same thing.. if ones survived for a little while hopefully a few others did too! what a hoot that'd be!

Brian,

If these ecologists don't recommend stocking the river with a particular species, they would have logical reasons.

Unfortunately, fishing isn't a priority for environmenmtal management. I don't want to sound like i think i know everything, because i don't and i'm always open to new opinions, but i beleive we need to look at the bigger picture. If barra in the river is an environmental problem, then this should be researched by experts, not judged by fishermen. If it isn't, i'm sure there would be some sort of stocking program in the midst.

Just my opinion!

Feral wrote:

Plenty of reports of Barra being in the river naturally from the early 1800's. Polution and fishing just killed them out.

Really. That's a shame.

My girlfreind will be interested to hear that. She studies environmental science and management and wants to branch out into marine.

thanks for sharing that plastic. Its suprising what is getting discovered in the river these days. I reckon the cold though over recent months is likey cause of death for it, and a reason why I doubt there would be any significant population of barra able to surive in the river. True there could be a few that are more tolerant to cold then others. As for wild or released pet I would say it's someones pet. For fish to be breeding there would have to be a significant population (surely?). As someone pointed out fishing pressure would be hard on a fish such as barra in the Brisbane, I just don't think there would be another to breed. Just my two bobs worth:silly:

Nice one.

I would say without question (due the location) that it would be a released pet.

Still very cool.

That section of river is suffering bad. Those shallow pools must get caught. Id say thats what killed it.

Only opinion though.

Angus

fishtales wrote:

I am not surprised by this find at all. I listen to the fishing show on the radio on sat and sun mornings between 5-7 am and barra are caught in the Logan River, although very infrequently.

Chris

Mate there are Barra breeding ponds on both the Albert and the Logan.

The barramundi that are caught in the Logan River and those in the Mooloolah River are escapees from commercial grow out ponds.

The fish in the Noosa are naturally occurring, the pros net them regularly there between the two lakes.

I'd guess that the Brissie River fish is someone's pet that outgrew the aquarium. I know a fellow who dropped one of about 3kg into the river at Colleges a few years ago.

Angus wrote:

Nice one.

I would say without question (due the location) that it would be a released pet.

Still very cool.

That section of river is suffering bad. Those shallow pools must get caught. Id say thats what killed it.

Only opinion though.

Angus

I think it was probably chased up stream by a big cobia:P getting chased by a 1.9m cobia probably scared it to death:cheer:

Archived