Cheap tunes

Eug

I want to put some music in the boat and wanted to hear some of other people's thoughts on this setup.

I wanted to wire the ipod directly to the speakers and do away with a headunit. In order to do this I'd need a little amp to drive the speakers (active speakers would be great but can't find any marine ones).

It'd be quite a simple set up and basically utilise the ipod as the interface. All of it can be neatly tucked away from the elements.

Ipod -> 2 channel (or even 4 channel) amp -> speakers

Originally I was thinking about making a small boom box for camping and a small motorbike battery to run it all, but thought I could also do it in the boat.

Doing it this way would allow me to run bigger speakers and do away with the purchase of a headunit (which would have a runty little amp anyway). :whistle:

Thoughts?

Cheers

Eug

P.S. - Looking to use a T-amp or similar.

Have you already got one or been in a boat that has a unit. I have an old fusion unit with the ipod mounted internally. It can really beef out the tunes if you crank it but I usually just keep it down so you can just hear it. It cops a lot of spray and gets washed down with no problems.

If you do want to go ipod-amp-speakers I would probably just get a cheap car amp and just waterproof the sucker. You can get some nice thick ziplock bags that will help waterproofing and just lay something else waterproof over it. I think your main worry will be salt working its way in everywhere and corroding it.

Actually fusion have a cheap amp.
/>http://www.fusionelectronics.com/marine/products/amplifiers/fm-402

Still have to waterproof your ipod but

Cheers

BJ

I have a Pioneer stereo sitting in the garage that I had taken out of the car the blew up. It doesn't have an iPod jack, but if you pick up one of the nifty little FM transmission units for the iPod you could make it work and be able to pick up local radio stations or play CD's as well.

It is just sitting there, so if you want it let me know.

BJ I've looked at the fusion units and ideally I'd like to get one but I'm not looking to spend a lot of money in this instance. Headunit = $100-200, Speakers = $100, Cables and wires = $10-15. It'll quickly add up.

The headunit would sit in AUX mode anyway and a 2nd hand amp would cost something like $20-50.

Stu, thanks for the offer mate, just tossing ideas around at this stage. Will probably see about making something for the campsite first.

Something like this albeit better quality would suit the bill nicely I think. Any thoughts?

AM106-6h.jpg

If cheap is what you want, have you thought about just getting postable speakers? I have a set of nokia md-7w. They retail for $250 but have been discontinued so you can get them on eBay for $50. The sound is unreal, they run off aa batteries or a 12v plug, and have Bluetooth so I don't even need to plug my iPhone in, but they have a jack.

They are loud enough to listen to music when out fishing, but not to get over the outboard when motoring, which doesn't bother me. I had been planning on doing a full sound install, but these just live in a waterproof bag in the boat and I change the batteries every few months

X~I have a logitec ipod dock with in built battery lasts 20hr is there claim. It is poratble and loud good thing is you put it out when you want it and pack it up when you dont and not limited to the boat. i belive there are just shy off $200 from the likes of JB and so on.

Archived