Boat safety inspections

Brian D

Hi every boat owner,

The Water Police will be doing the rounds checking every boat on the water to ensure the correct safety gear is on board.

Check the expiry date on your flares. Mine were expired by a month but was let off with a written warning.

As it was the only problem and my boat was in good order (except for the oversight) they advised a written warning was sufficient, however if there was to be more then one infrigment they fine for everything.

Bewarned.

mackmauler wrote:

they love that section behind mud island, i got so pissed off years ago fishing out from the brissy river got pulled over 3 times in 1 trip, pulled up every 2-3 trips around that time, imo it would be better to check at the ramp than hassel people by bumping alongside.

Then no-one would want the job and we'd be hearing more about \"skill shortage\".:angry: Also, they'd spend most of their time dealing with ramp rage :evil: (and probably be causing it too);) .

mackmauler wrote:

they love that section behind mud island, i got so pissed off years ago fishing out from the brissy river got pulled over 3 times in 1 trip, pulled up every 2-3 trips around that time, imo it would be better to check at the ramp than hassel people by bumping alongside.

Gezz Mack 3 times in one trip - that's a bit much:angry:

But all in all I don't mind them doing their stuff. I figure if you do the right thing then they got nothing on ya. If I have to pay the $$ to have my boat in compliance the so should ever other boater so if you get busted then bad luck.

I don't think where in the bay you are they will check you this week (double patrols I am told) and besides if I got paid to drive a boat like that then I would be all over the bay too. :)

A while back I brought one of my old flares that was three months out of date, out bush with me on a trip, and come nightfall we 'accidentally' :whistle: set it off. AND IT DIDN'T GO OFF! I couldn't believe it, I kinda thought that the expiry date was just a bit of a money spinner to make you buy new flares, but it didn't work!

So!!! MORAL: Buy new flares if they are out of date! Cause three months isn't much leeway between them expiring and them not working!

Joel ;)

mackmauler wrote:

imo it would be better to check at the ramp than hassel people by bumping alongside.

Now where is the fun in that? I know where I would rather carry out my work, and it wouldnt be at a ramp standing in between 2 numbskulls who want to punch on! Mmmmmm but thinking back to my last 2 ramp visits, I have been 1 of them. I am starting to lose my negotiation skills maybe?

On flares - I paid $49 for an inshore flare pack from BCF. I think it was that price for BCF members, but maybe some sweeting talking might get you there too.

You think the boating shops would be on to that. Buy a set of flares, give them you email address / snail mail address, and we will drop you a line 2 months before your flares are due to expire! Oh and buy the way would you like our brochure sent monthly as well?

Over the last few months I have had them pull alongside me and check all my safety gear. One warning was handed out on the first time for not displaying my rego sticker on the boat. I had it in the boat (in my tackle box). I have also had fisheries check my catch at different boat ramps. All these are good measures to keep things honest.

What's the go with the rego sticker? Cause we can't get it to stay on our tinnie, with the waves and the constant sun exposure it loses its stick really quickly and just falls off??

What do they expect? Like is that a valid excuse? or do they just want us to get a new sticker every month?

Joel

That used to be a well known problem, stoutly denied by Qld Transport! I thought they had fixed it, leastways my labels staying on fine!

Use a trailer label holder, or stick it inboard on the side of a console, but still near the numbers and visible from the side..

bootyinblue wrote:

On flares - I paid $49 for an inshore flare pack from BCF. I think it was that price for BCF members, but maybe some sweeting talking might get you there too.

Well I still saved money as OD says $10 in petrol but when was the last time I went to BCF and only bought what I went in for. I figure I save at least $100 by staying out of BCF.:woohoo:

Archived