The Alabama Rig

Gary_C

Flipped on a bass tournament on television today and they were talking about how muc success this Alabama Rig had been having at the tournament. It really sounded like one very long infomercial so I decided to look it up.

I don't know that it is that unique of a concept, but it seems to work. It basically allows you to toss out 5 lures at a time so it looks like a small school of bait fish.

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzIXG3NJ9TU

A few different brands in the USA are making these and have seen some cool vids using them with great success

Not sure how that fits in with australian rules about number of hooks in the water by one angler.....

not 100% but aren't the regs regarding number of hooks talking about things like droppers, not a "lure" such as the alabama rig where all the hooks are integral to the one rig? if you tie on multiple rigs it would be breaking the rules

from dpi website,

Fishing lines

In tidal waters, up to three fishing lines with up to six hooks in total (in any configuration) are permitted. An artificial fly or lure is deemed to be equal to one hook.

its like a big HB with front middle and rear trebles.

again, i'm not 100% on it, but thats how i interperate it, the alabama rig is 1 lure, as thats how you buy it, all rigged up ready to go

Been really popular for the last few years. I have a few samples of what damiki and fish arrow also have their own version. Not used here due to regs. It has been banned in some states and tournament circuits. Personally I don't think it's sporting. Due to it being banned it has spawned alot of new ideas for future lures. I saw a recent pic where a spinner bait was used and surrounded by 8 or 9 small blades. It resembles an Alabama rig but only had the one hook.

the heavy line they use is for the school they catch with one cast. The guy who kicked it off literally caught his five fish limit in 2 casts. Landed some silly number of pounds on one cast. Multiple fish pulling indifferent directions won't make much of a fight I would have thought.

Hmmm using a large rod a baitcaster 65lb braid and close to 2 ounces of lures and metal to catch a 6lb Bass, that's American style sports fishing for you there :blink: Great idea but cant say i'd be keen on it.

Cheers

Mark

Yeah, I can't say I am a big supporter of how they are using it either, but I suppose when there is $150k in prize money for first place and $100k for second place the sporting factor starts to seem secondary to total weight (the dude caught 25 lbs of bass in 2 casts). :blink:

Archived