Big Bream on Lures

Cowfish13

When people ask how to catch bigger Bream, the reply is often to use lures. But I find that most of the strikes I get (in Shultz) are from ones under 20cm. This is my smallest that I have landed, but I have dropped one, when it was out of the water, that would have been under 10cm. I'm not kidding.

Just wanted to know what the smallest Bream on a lure that everyone has caught is and if anyone knows how to get bigger Bream to take the lure?

This one is 14.5cm. Smallest that I have landed so far. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/3rd_Bream_on_lure_AFO.jpg

post-320-144598424234_thumb.jpg

I seriously think that the smaller ones are way more aggressive that the bigger ones, or they may not be as smart. I've had a 30-35cm one follow it in but didn't strike, and then one around 18cm stike and get hooked twice on the same cast and still follow it in to the very edge of the water.

Edit: But that is only my third Bream on a lure so I guess I'm not too experienced yet. But I think it is way more fun than targeting them on bait.

Post edited by: Cowfish13, at: 2007/08/15 13:05

Will,

I don't target bream at all. I do however get some big fish in the Brissie River as a by-catch while trolling Spoonbills for cod and flathead. Get them along the rock walls in the boat passage and any of the accessible rocky areas in up to the city reaches. There are plenty of submerged rocky spots that you can't see above the water, you'll see the good rock formations on the sounder though.

Don't have a digital image for you, all on 35mm. If I get the chance to dig some out I'll scan one and post it for you if you like.

Tend to get our biggest bream this way in summer.

it's natural selection. the smaller ones that are less wary get caught- the bigger ones are the wary smaller ones a little longer down the track. a foolishly uncautious bream will be snapped up by a predator, therefore the bigger fish are seasoned wary fish that have survived through cunning

it's natural selection. the smaller ones that are less wary get caught- the bigger ones are the wary smaller ones a little longer down the track. a foolishly uncautious bream will be snapped up by a predator, therefore the bigger fish are seasoned wary fish that have survived through cunning

go the gulp, fish them really slow on the bottom. If you can't get a fish like that, may aswell quit fishing and take up another sport! :P nah it's not that easy but you really should get fish on them. I like power minnows but I neglect them. Gulps are just so much easier.

I've got some 3\" Gulp! Minnows in Rainbow. Sort of dark blueish colour. So I guess they will be being used at the mouth of the river next time.

Also, although this thread has helped me alot (and thanks to everyone who helped, very, very much appreciated), I was originally asking what the smallest Bream on a lure that anyone has caught. But, if you want to keep giving me suggestions on how to catch bigger and better fish, I won't be complaining.

Thanks to everyone who helped me

Will

Schultz isn't renowned for its Breamin', though there is still good sized ones in there. I got a 33cm fork between the Highway and Nudgee Road Bridges while weaving a Halco Laser Pro in Chrome Gold through those random pylons across the canal while fishing for Cod.

Fishing land based makes it even harder on yourself to get a good sized Bream. Plus I have found Summer to be a much better time for bigger Bream around Brisbane.

The Gold Coast and Tweed are going pretty well at the moment. If you have a boat you practically times your chances by 10 on landing a Bream of good size. Also if you get someone who knows where to go and what they're doing times you chances again by 20.

I was fishing the Tweed today and a mate and I landed a good 40 Bream even though we weren't targeting them half the time. We were trolling and casting Jackall Chubbies and picked up a good Tailor which put on some acrobatics and I some how landed a 57cm Flathead on 4lb leader that swallowed the lure way past the knot. Picked up a couple of other rat Flathead by trolling and a half decent Bream.

We were casting Pearl Blue Power Minnows and Malibu Blue Gulp! Minnows around the gravel patch and Boyds Bay Bridge and that's where we got most of them. Nathan got a 33 fork from the Bridge on a Pumpkinseed Gulp! Minnow.

He also got a 32cm Bream on a 3\" Minnow Grub at the trawlers landbased yesterday morning as they were washing down.

We didnt even have a working electric today and we still got onto them with eas before the wind picked up to 40+ knots.

Troy

Archived