Lure crazes and phases!

Ash

Since starting to fish with lures, and then through being involved on this site, Ive seen so many lure crazes! Something come out, and every one jumps on board for a while, then those faithfull lures get forgotten!

Whats your favourite or memorable lure craze?

Mine? Has to be the "Tassie Devil Lures" Anyone remember them? Most of us went nuts on them for a while, in fact

I think Terry bought so many he funded the owmers retirement fund!

post-81-144598844276_thumb.jpg

I still like Tassies. They are however something that has fallen to the bottom of the box.

If I was still walking the banks of NP during the drought though I would still be flicking them as distance was so achievable!

SX40's were absolutely the ducks nuts for ages as well weren't they. I don't think sx40's were ever over rated as they certainly worked, there are just SO many other bream lures (many at more competitive prices) on the market these days.

I used to go through a phase a month, but not to toot Robs horn, I find it hard to steer off Damiki Armour Shads and P21 Hard Bodies (specifically Greedy Guts and Crack Jacks) these days. That is the phase I am in now and I think it will take something special to crack it. I guess I am far more open to new Hards but I just dont know what I could possibly be swayed away from a 3 Inch Skin Blue armour shad for in the plastics department!

Angus

I have a mix of probably well over 400 Tassie Devils,Wigstons,Cobras and Candle Wobblers.

They are by far the best Trout lure ever invented and they certainly revolutionized our fishing back in the 80's.

In fact it was the Tassie Devil and the first marine radios available for rec boats that we started to understand how important colours are to fish and how many times in a single day that fish like Trout can change their preference for a particular colour of lure.

Having the ability to talk to other boats across a lake for the first time ever taught us that most times the Trout didn't go off the bite for the morning but in fact changed to taking a different colour lure.Prior to having a radio we would head back to camp thinking the fish had gone off the bite for the day.

I have a mix of probably well over 400 Tassie Devils,Wigstons,Cobras and Candle Wobblers.

They are by far the best Trout lure ever invented and they certainly revolutionized our fishing back in the 80's.

In fact it was the Tassie Devil and the first marine radios available for rec boats that we started to understand how important colours are to fish and how many times in a single day that fish like Trout can change their preference for a particular colour of lure.

Having the ability to talk to other boats across a lake for the first time ever taught us that most times the Trout didn't go off the bite for the morning but in fact changed to taking a different colour lure.Prior to having a radio we would head back to camp thinking the fish had gone off the bite for the day.

From memory my first Bass was caught on a Tassie at NPD. i think Jimybob used have have fun with them in the salt too, flatties etc

I think Terry bought so many he funded the owmers retirement fund!

[attachment=54668]tassielures.jpg[/attachment]

Not sure what you're on about there mate! Either my memory has gone to poo in my (oh-so-old age), or you are mixing me up with Jimmy :) I don't think I ever bought more than a dozen to be honest. James on the other hand......

Not too many phases for me. Like Angus, I like the P21 and Damiki lures, both soft and hard, as well as gulps. I will dabble in other lures every now and then, but then I just remind myself; sure, a lure has a bit to do with catching fish, but putting the lure in the right spot, in the right manner catches more fish. Having said that, I have a decent range of lures in the box, which I have picked up that match bait colour and profile for different areas I fish. The more natural the better I say.

old little halco scorpions in the 'sunset' orange and gold colour - one of the original bream hards.

Also remember watching bushy etc. fishing with the bag of tails plastics at the start of last decade (I feel so old and wise)

Slider grubs for deep bass

I love my lures and believe they are to blokes what jewellery is to some women.

SPs: Gulp 4" Nucular (thank you Mr Bush for correcting my pronunciation) Chicken

HBs: Mann's 5+ Valentino, Daiwa shiner, Greedy guts etc etc.

Although Tugg has got me onto Soft Bodies: Pillies, anything in a natural colour; Mac Tuna: in Blood red colour (you have to be careful putting the jig head on though)

Archived