Kayak Instructor

wallyfly

Learning the correct way to paddle and eskimo rolling are two great skills to have when using kayaks. Gives your confidence a great boost!!

Make certain you learn to eskimo roll in both directions and lots of practice so it becomes instinctive.

Your right it will give you that extra bit of confidence to maybe do things with a bit more risk,if you know you can roll back up and get out of trouble, also paddles get broken so hand rolling is the next step that can be fun.

Yea... was going to add, its one thing to learn how to paddle roll in the shallows but when you have been smacked and lost your paddle and upside down then you have to hand roll.

I am happy to pass on some skills from my canoe polo days when I played up to representing the State in school boy teams.

Water polo ay, still have all your own teeth.

I moved over to canadian doubles and your strapped into the boat across the legs, and when a roll or hand roll fails, then youre dragged out the river unconcuos, very scary.

The mighty hip flick is the secret to successful (read easy & quick) eskimo rolling.

It's not a brute strength exercise.

Somewhere in my garage I have a video tape showing all about rolling as well as insane whitewater action. I'd love to record it on a disc.

Bri.... I was one of the first with full face mask with chin padding and a hinged throat guard.

To hand roll, first practice by placing your hands on the paddle blade and pushing down on that. Once mastered then take away the blade and just use both hands, I hook my thumbs together and create as much surface area as possible to use as leaverage.

Great great game.....

Archived