What's your favourite heavy rock fishing rod?

Schultzy

When im fishing for tailor, trevs, big bream etc, i use a 12 foot wilsons two piece and good old alvey. Both over 10 years old and going strong.

However when its mainly dart and bream on the chew i have a 10 foot set up as well and use lighter line.

Picture: My 12 foot set up getting some use the weekend of the gold coast boat and fishing show.

[img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/30cmWhiting.jpg

post-63-144598425764_thumb.jpg

HaHa Shultzy good to hear I still use my doctored MT 8120 cut back to about 10 foot and with the olde abu 7000 will still outcast most of the bigger rods and is a great stik for live baiting off the rocks I built it for the Pulpit @ green cape ( some serious fish down there :woohoo: )

Gaz

wonder if they still make them mines um 30 years old :pinch:

Gazz,

I'm pretty sure that Adrian at Snyder Glas still makes the MT series of surf rods. Probably still in the same deep red/maroon colour.

I'm wondering if there is anything newer that will lift a decent fish up the rocks or if an 8 wrap glass rod is still the go?

The blokes fishing for pigs (rock blackfish) and blue groper down south used to have some wicked rods but I'm not sure what they were.

I use a Snyderglas JS102 9 wrap as my 15kg rock rod. When I built it 20+ years ago i tested it with a set of scales to see how much it would lift. 58lbs deadlift was all i could pull on it. Mate Peter tested it and manages 76lbs deadlift. They have a ton of guts and a good flexible tip for casting out weights from an unweighted pillie to about 4 ounces without any dramas.

Matched with my Abu 12 overhead and maxima 30lb line i can cast a half kilo live tailor about the 40-50m mark off the stones at Sunshine rocks. Being 9 foot long its not killing you putting the hurt on a big fish like 10' does.

Jack.

Jack,

Yeah, the leverage factor with long rods can be a killer.

Just look at how hard you can lean on a 13' 6\" surf rod with a mere kilo chopper on the end or how much you can haul on one without breaking 6kg line.

I might just end up putting a new set of guides on my old 8144, might even trim the butt a little too though I like the casting distance I get out of the 10 footer.

I do like the sound of the lifting power of your JS9102. This is a big consideration when trying to lift school jew up onto the rocks.

Gaz,

I just found a phone number for the boss at Snyder Glas in one of my old address books. I'll give him a ring next week and see if he can e-mail or fax a listing to me.

Anything in particular you are looking for?

Surf, short lever, boat, game, graphite, flame wrap, glass?????

Archived